Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
The Cartographer's Dilemma

The Cartographer's Dilemma

A Poem by jenniewren (J.W. Bouwman)

day by day

i write the sigils that form our world

my ink-stained fingers

gripping the quill i use

to delineate land from sea

italy from france...


i know the world round

intimately

and the compass rose is my seal



yet when it comes

to sailing the wild oceans

contained within my heart

or scaling the lofty heights

to which my soul aspires

i find myself

utterly

lost

© 2009 jenniewren (J.W. Bouwman)


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

beautiful irony. draws maps; paper worlds, but gets lost in the real world. This is a multi-layered write. It really speaks to me as a poet...write thought-provoking, heart-rattling poetry all day...but I'm at a loss for words when I live the poetry.
Great write! Made me examine myself. Great gift.
Cheers!

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Hi Jenn, love the physical formatting of your poem - I love maps and saw the title. Thanks. Very new to this site just learning the rules

Posted 4 Years Ago


beautiful irony. draws maps; paper worlds, but gets lost in the real world. This is a multi-layered write. It really speaks to me as a poet...write thought-provoking, heart-rattling poetry all day...but I'm at a loss for words when I live the poetry.
Great write! Made me examine myself. Great gift.
Cheers!

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Beautifully expressed...sometimes the macrocosm in our heart is hard to grasp of and understand than the world at large...how do you always keep getting better :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


Wonderful use of irony here and much like "The Way Things Are" your subject admits to a bit of self doubt ... or introspection. This is a very universal thing that we all go through and you write it very well.

I'm not going to give you the lecture about punctuation. You know how I feel. [Grin]

Posted 13 Years Ago


fair warnin' , thar be dragons there ...

excellent write , nice pen



Posted 13 Years Ago


The title is wonderful and point and dilemma finely placed. Who else but you could put this kind of face on the feeling of being lost in certain situations. This was elegant and sad, but very real at the same time.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ahh I see, you already are around here for so long, and I didn't know you...(I've seen when Ron posted his his review).
oh I learned a new word "sigils" thanks, you are so brilliant.
Oh I liked this piece about seeking answers when dreaming, and yet, as you indicated, we can't find them anywhere but in our heart. or scaling the lofty heights

to which my soul aspires ---my favorite lines. so wonderful.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

When I went back to your earliest posts it was the title of this one which caught my eye, engaging my curiosity totally. Your other poems seem personal, but here you seem to create a character to speak through. I love maps and have some 16-17-and-18th c English maps. Just like the artistry of them, the little dolphins and mermaids they sketch in. And the cartouche and other decorative work on them is often stunning. I like the contrast in the poem between the cartographers professional skills and his sense of emootional incapacity ... also the way the last half of the poems forms that tulip shape is most pleasing to the eye ... but the most pleasing aspect is to the minds eye. That being your perception of a person's sense of incapacity. I am sure there are many people nowadays in this pickle. Socially and emotionally awkwards.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

259 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 4, 2009

Author

jenniewren (J.W. Bouwman)
jenniewren (J.W. Bouwman)

Vancouver, BC, Canada



About
Playful and eager to explore new styles of writing, and to hone my skills. i'm reaching a point now where i can write a poem and be able to say that it is something i really like. I'm an avid reader, .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Walls That Bind Walls That Bind

A Poem by Bubo