and now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

and now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

A Poem by jenniewren (J.W. Bouwman)

as we spoke
he stroked his words
gently


along my ruffled edges
healing the frayed tissue
softly


taking the damage 
i’d held so close
away

 
to become a forlorn parting gift
he left behind
quietly


and life resumed
emphatically
as if we never were.. 

© 2011 jenniewren (J.W. Bouwman)


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Devastatingly acute, cuts like a butter knifte, leaving some fairly jagged scars that won't heal no matter how much ointment we apply. Watching the clock and wishing it to move ten times faster so that what will happen will happen. Great write, sad write.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I love the thought in the last verse, esp 'as is we never were...' though it is a very sad thought. But what are eny of us? Atoms of life, tiny sparks, brief, gone.

Posted 11 Years Ago


This reminds me of the Beat poets. The simplicity with which you write, echoes and pokes around the writer's head ever so slightly.

I won't say you're an amazing writer. Many people are likely to praise you in that regard (myself being one of them). You're a carpenter of unconscious fragments many of us have left lying around, and haven't had the chance to look at yet.

One more thing, which doesn't sit well with me in the poem. I would take out the words empathically and forlorn. The former would give you a far more crisp ending and give the reader an extra amount of ambiguity which I think is due. Secondly the word forlorn is what I call a "borderline" word.

The border being old english on one side and sentimentality on the other. This word seems to rock back and forth between both words. You're writing about a romantic event. I firmly believe (kinda a hobby horse of mine) that poetry can be romantic and tender without crossing the fine line into mush and slush. It's tough and few writers can pull it off themselves...I damn well know you can. Again that's my opinion and this is your work.

One last thing to consider (while I'm in the editing zone). Doesn't everything resume? Why not say that life trickles, skates, shivers, tumbles, scatters, oozes? That may be me knick-picking again, or just my war-on-cliché getting the better of me.

Overall as a piece of art, there's really nothing defective with this write ;)

Posted 11 Years Ago


'as if we never were'..Ah!..that last line..it was magic.Felt that so many times.

Posted 12 Years Ago


The speaker in question is clearly as clever with his tongue as his author is with her words. The gentle persuasion of the writing here is almost like a massage; where pressure is applied artfully in all the correct places then there is more gain than pain. And as with the short but significant journey of the narrative, so the reader feels cleansed and calmed by the conclusion of this method.

PS. A 'tongue-in-cheek' title but a blueprint of understatement in so many words.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Another amazing piece of work from you...nice job.

Posted 12 Years Ago


As you know I haven’t been around for some time, but it’s great to see that some of my old friends are still here and still going as strong as ever (in this case stronger than ever).
I could use some old clichés like “short and sweet” or “less is more” but I’m not going to, (or did I just do so?).
All I know is that I’ve just read it 4 times and the hair in the back of my neck is standing up. You have certainly improved as a writer and this is my favourites of your work (that I’ve read).
But hay, what do I know?


Posted 12 Years Ago


you give each word a life of its own...i always know where you are coming from and certainly know where you are going...lovely work...

Posted 12 Years Ago


You are able to breathe such tones and shades into letters... they take on a dramatic life all their own... Richly emotive and haunting in the lingering pain of yesterdays..

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Devastatingly acute, cuts like a butter knifte, leaving some fairly jagged scars that won't heal no matter how much ointment we apply. Watching the clock and wishing it to move ten times faster so that what will happen will happen. Great write, sad write.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

259 Views
11 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on May 24, 2011
Last Updated on May 24, 2011

Author

jenniewren (J.W. Bouwman)
jenniewren (J.W. Bouwman)

Vancouver, BC, Canada



About
Playful and eager to explore new styles of writing, and to hone my skills. i'm reaching a point now where i can write a poem and be able to say that it is something i really like. I'm an avid reader, .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Drake Drake

A Poem by Tate Morgan