AMERICAN HERO

AMERICAN HERO

A Story by Jennifer Webster
"

Debbie and Ronald were planning a perfect wedding together...But then he got called for duty.

"

  Debbie and Ronald have been in love with each other since they were high school sweethearts; Each day she had been waiting for the day when Ronald would finally propose to her. And so, a few weeks after graduating from college, Debbie’s family and Ronald planned a surprise birthday party for her.

     Friday morning, Debbie got a call from the manager of the department store that she had been given the job, and that she was to report to work on Monday. That following day, Debbie had her first full day of work, but things for her did not turn out the way that she had planned. Thus, Debbie’s very first day on the job was a bad day, which ended with her boss informing her that she had better pay attention next time, or her next day would be her last.

    Debbie went home feeling as upset as she could ever be; But then, when she opened the door, her family, and especially her love Ronald, shouted, “SURPRISE! HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DEBBIE!” That very first day of Debbie’s job was also her birthday, and Ronald and her family presented her with a birthday cake with candles while they sang “Happy Birthday” to her. Afterward, she blew out the candles, and then Ronald began to say something sweet to her…” Debbie, throughout all of our lives you have made me so very happy. And now, it gives me great pleasure for me to invite you to share in that happiness with me.” Then, Ronald got down on his knees and proposed to Debbie, which she accepted. Then they kissed…They could not have been any happier. 


 Then, Debbie and Ronald’s family began to plan for the wedding; but then, while Debbie was away at work, Ronald received a message in the mail from the U.S. Army, stating that it has accepted his application and that he should report for duty right away…

  One day Debbie went to work feeling happier than what she had been feeling on her first day; When she got home, her mother informed her that Ronald had been shipped away for military duty. When Debbie asked how long Ronald would be on duty, her mother said that she isn’t sure. So it was that Debbie held off plans for the nuptials while she awaited for Ronald to return from military duty.

 The following morning, Debbie tried to keep a worker’s game face despite the fact that her fiancée is overseas; Later that night, she began to dream about how lovely her wedding would be…She dreamt that she was all dressed up in her white bridal gown, and with her father walking her down the aisle, leading to her groom-to-be, Ronald…After the exchanging of vows, they would exit the church, then on to the wedding reception, where they would have their very first dance…

 

   And then, an alarm went off, and Debbie awoke from such a dream. Then she thought that as soon as Ronald comes home from active duty, then they would continue in the planning of their wedding.

  On Thursday morning, Debbie went to work as usual. Her friend began saying to her that she is sorry for Debbie that her fiancée had died; But Debbie thought that she was only kidding, so she did not want to believe it. Then, her boss said to her, “We are all so very sorry for your loss.” “What are you talking about?!” Debbie snapped, “Ronald’s on active duty!” but just as Debbie had said this, a man from the military police appeared to her and said, “Debbie, I think you need to sit down…” He told her that her fiancée, Ronald, had been shot and killed while he was on duty; He then said to her that Ronald did as best as he could in protecting and defending our country, but someone with an evil mind had taken his life. 

   Debbie became distraught, not only because he died, but because that she had learned that he was assigned to active duty without informing her first, not even to write a single letter to her! 


  For the first few weeks following her fiancée’s tragic death, Debbie had somehow become bitter about the fact that Ronald had never informed her first of the fact that he was going to be shipped overseas for active duty; The next day Ronald’s body was returned home to be given a proper memorial service.     After the planning had been done, the day before the funeral Debbie at first decided to refuse to go…But then, she opened the first drawer, and there was an envelope that contained a letter from Ronald! Debbie opened the letter, and she read the

following words: “Debbie, I know that deep inside your heart and mine that we wanted to have the most perfect wedding ever…Unfortunately, I had to answer to Uncle Sam to protect our nation. I just want to tell you this: That I love you so very much with all of my heart, and God forbid, should I ever end up getting killed, I just want to let you know that I shall always love you, and that you should be glad that you have a man who loves you and will always love you, and that I will always be a hero, whether I end up living or dying. Please look after my family for me, for they will always love you, too. Oxoxox

 Love, Ronald.”


 Debbie gently closed that letter as her bitterness melted away, replacing it with love and joy, and the knowledge of the fact that even in death, her beloved Ronald would always be a hero, and that he will always love her.

 The very next day was the funeral service; Debbie did deliver the eulogy, but then she read the letter that Ronald had written for her before he had been shipped off. 

Everyone, especially Debbie, knew that Ronald had died knowing that he would always love her, and that he had indeed become an American hero, died doing what he had been ordered to do: Defend our great country. 


 

 

 

 

© 2018 Jennifer Webster


Author's Note

Jennifer Webster
This fictional story was written by me in honor of the upcoming Memorial Day holiday; I hope that everyone will read this story and be reminded that freedom is not free and that it comes with the price of a soldier's sacrifice for the good of our country.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Yeah..I am an Indian and actually this story is applicable for every country's soldier because they risk their own life to save their country..I loved this story..The way you expressed it , I was entirely lost in your story unaware of my surroundings..I felt as if I was watching a movie..I indeed liked this story , in fact may we bee american , Indian or from any country the reason that we are living safe and secure life is that someone risks his life to save pour lives...I salute to soldiers of all countries for their bravery and their selflessness...
Keep writing..

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Yeah..I am an Indian and actually this story is applicable for every country's soldier because they risk their own life to save their country..I loved this story..The way you expressed it , I was entirely lost in your story unaware of my surroundings..I felt as if I was watching a movie..I indeed liked this story , in fact may we bee american , Indian or from any country the reason that we are living safe and secure life is that someone risks his life to save pour lives...I salute to soldiers of all countries for their bravery and their selflessness...
Keep writing..

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

115 Views
1 Review
Added on May 11, 2018
Last Updated on May 11, 2018
Tags: Debbie, Ronald, Active Duty, Wedding

Author

Jennifer Webster
Jennifer Webster

Felton, DE



About
I formerly lived in Philadelphia but I now live in Felton, DE; I am a writer, author, and cartoonist, and I am currently taking time off as a food service worker for a company called Sodexo at the Do.. more..

Writing