The Final Hundred Dollars

The Final Hundred Dollars

A Story by Jennifer Webster
"

What's it like to have a unicorn that can grant wishes? Well, it happened to one woman who is down to her final hundred dollars...

"
    Jane was feeling down; She was chosen to be the maid of honor at her best friend’s wedding, and afterward she had used up her money from her bank account to pay for her gown, the pre-wedding nuptials, etc. And now, with only $100 dollars left in her bank account, she was also facing eviction for failing to pay the rent for her apartment.
    So, when those very last $100 dollars had left her bank account, she watched it happen in real time. So, this is what rock bottom finally feels like, Jane thought. And none of this would have happened if she had not been asked by her best friend, the bride, to help her out as the maid of honor at her wedding. But alas, Jane sat in her empty apartment on the final day of her eviction when suddenly, a magical unicorn appeared!
    Yes, it was a unicorn, one with the rainbow mane, and, there’s a plus: She has a crystal horn in which she explains to her that she can use it to grant wishes. The 5 swirls on the horn of the unicorn each stands for five wishes, so the unicorn orders Julie to make her very first wish. Jane wishes that she would have $900,000 in her bank account. And then, POOF! She was $900,000 richer! Jane could not have ever been happier!
    Next, she asked for a brand-spankin’ new car…Oh, Jane has that old car alright, but what she really wanted was a shiny new one, possibly red. POOF! And Julie got herself a sparkling new red car!
    But then, the unicorn warns Jane that she only has three wishes on her crystal horn, and that she should not use any of them unless she really needs to. Jane promised the unicorn that she would not waste any of the three wishes unless she has need to. She and the unicorn both agreed. The next day, with Jane having paid the landlord and driving her new red car, she went to work, and everyone admired her new way of life, especially her best friend. But they just could not scratch their heads on how Jane, who was poor with only $100 dollars left, had somehow gotten rich with $900,000. Perhaps she won a lottery, they thought.
    And then, later that afternoon, Jane meets and then falls in love with a handsome man; They went inside her apartment and have dinner together. And then, the next night, they went out on a date together. Then, the handsome young man asked Jane if she could afford tickets to go on a romantic vacation together. She agreed, stating she would see what she could do.
    The next day, Jane was back in her apartment, and she went to the closet to ask the unicorn for her 3rd wish. But when she opened the door, the unicorn was gone! She had disappeared into the night, leaving her a note: I wish that I could grant you more wishes for you, but unfortunately, unicorn laws state that I can only grant two wishes per person! I am so very sorry; I hope you understand. -The Unicorn. 
    Jane just could not believe it! How could that unicorn grant only two wishes per person when I only have three wishes on that crystal horn left?! Jane thought. She then called her boyfriend to explain her dilemma, saying that she could not find a way to get tickets to their romantic getaway. And then, just like that, her boyfriend dumps her like a hot potato, leaving Jane feeling even sadder than ever. But that is not the only thing that Jane is facing right now: The IRS is at the door of her apartment, demanding the back taxes for that $900.000 in which they wanted to know where she had got it! Somehow, there was a whole new meaning to the phrase Be careful what you wish for.
    Jane decided to escape: So, she slowly climbed out the window of her apartment; When she finally reached the pavement, the police had arrived in front of her! Jane was surrounded! And then…
    Jane woke up from her dream. Boy, she had quite a hangover last night at the wedding reception, and now Jane had been trying to recover from it, and it appears she is doing OK. It has also turned out that she was still in her apartment and that she was not down to her last $100 at all: She had plenty of money that she had been saving. But here is another surprise: It had also turned out that the wedding in which Jane was the maid of honor was not really anything elaborate; It was just a small affair, with a very small wedding party. And luckily, they did not spend too much money on an otherwise very special event. And yes, in case you are wondering, unicorns can only happen in our dreams…

      We would certainly like to wish for things such as money, fame and everything else, but I very much think that it is very well best that we should always be satisfied with what we have. And that is very magical within itself.

        ©2020 Jenn Webster


© 2020 Jennifer Webster


Author's Note

Jennifer Webster
I hope that you have enjoyed my very first story of the new year; Please let me know what you think of it by leaving a comment, and thanks!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

146 Views
Added on February 4, 2020
Last Updated on February 4, 2020

Author

Jennifer Webster
Jennifer Webster

Felton, DE



About
I formerly lived in Philadelphia but I now live in Felton, DE; I am a writer, author, and cartoonist, and I am currently taking time off as a food service worker for a company called Sodexo at the Do.. more..

Writing