Disco

Disco

A Chapter by J. B. Tweed
"

some fun and some tears

"

 

Chapter 4
 
          The week raced by, Nancy’s fingers flying across the keys, giving life to Neanderthals and mammoths and ancient civilizations across the globe. Occasionally, the professors would stop in to check on the progress and offer moral support. While Nancy was merely copying pre-recorded information, each of them was working on several much more detailed projects and recordings simultaneously. The four of them stayed late that week to get a head start the project and by the time Saturday evening arrived, Nancy was looking forward to relaxing on Sunday.
          “God, my hands hurt.” She groaned as she joined Quenby on the elevator. “And my back.” The baby had been especially active that week, as if making up for Nancy’s lack of physical exertion.
          “It has been a long week for you.” Quenby sympathized. “Hey Nancy?”
          “Hm?” Nancy closed her eyes, rubbing her lower back firmly.
          “Did you ever think we’d be here? I mean, like this, without anyone we know?”
          There was something in Quenby’s voice that made Nancy look up and meet her eyes. She reached over and pushed the elevator stop button. 
          “Well . . . no.” Nancy said after a moment’s thought. “I don’t think any of us did. Why, hon? What’s the matter?”
          Quenby sighed and looked at the floor. 
          “Nothing, I guess. I was just thinking about the disco tonight and it made me start thinking about going to the clubs back home. I just really miss my family.” She blinked and sniffed. 
          Nancy put her arms around Quenby and sighed. She sometimes forgot that Quenby was considerably younger than herself. She was only a kid, really. 
          “I know you do. I miss mine too. Do you want to come hang out until time for the disco?” Nancy asked softly.
          “Sure.” Quenby sighed. There was nothing else to be said. Both girls knew that friendship was all that could be offered. And it was accepted gratefully.
          Two hours later, decked out in bellbottoms and nervous as hell, the two girls arrived at the large lounge where the disco was being held. The normally bland room had been completely converted. There were multi-colored lights flashing and a disco ball twirling from the ceiling. Blondie’s “Heart of Glass” pulsed from the speaker system. Nancy glanced at Quenby and they grinned. A bar had been set up against the opposite wall and couches along the other two. Quenby pointed toward a large empty couch with a question in her eyes. Nancy nodded gratefully and took Quenby’s hand as they made their way across the crowded dance floor. 
            “Thank you!” Nancy shouted as she sank onto the couch. 
          “No problem. You want a water?” Quenby yelled, gesturing toward the bar.
           Nancy nodded. Resting her hands on her stomach, she looked around smiling. This was the first time since they arrived that she had actually seen people socializing. She closed her eyes and let the sound of laughter wash over her, drinking it in.
            “Check it out . . . Blue Eyes made it!” Quenby tilted her head toward the door as she settled back onto the couch. Nancy took her water as she followed Quenby’s gaze. Several soldiers arrived and were standing in a group by the door; they were dressed down from their usual camouflage and among them was the soldier with the blue eyes. 
            “What do you think? Navy?” Quenby leaned over so Nancy could hear her. 
            “Marines.” Nancy answered, distractedly. He was, in fact, a Marine and he looked incredibly handsome in his dress blues. She felt her stomach clench and she looked away quickly, forcing herself to think about Christopher. 
            “Hey! There’s Patricia and David!” Quenby waved to get their attention.
            “Oh my god! They look so great!” Nancy grinned and set her water down on the table. 
           The two of them had chosen matching disco costumes the week before. David had left his glasses in his room, wearing his last pair of contacts in honor of the occasion; Patricia had taken out her weave and her naturally short hair had been teased into an afro. 
          “David seems nervous. Do you think tonight’s the night?” Quenby leaned toward Nancy. 
          There was an ongoing debate between the two of them about when David and Patricia were going to admit that they liked each other. The two were never apart and were often seen whispering together in the corridors. Nancy shrugged, smiling at the girl’s enthusiasm. She personally thought there was nothing between them except friendship, but Quenby was far too dramatic to accept that answer.
          “Listen! It’s The Hustle!” Quenby laughed as the familiar song started.
          “Hey Quenby?” David shouted, leaning over Patricia. “You wanna dance?”
          Quenby’s mouth dropped open, her eyes wide as saucers. David grinned his irresistible grin and stood up. 
          “Come on, little bit. I won’t bite.” He reached down and pulled Quenby to her feet. 
           She had managed to get her features under control, but when she glanced back over her shoulder at Nancy, her mouth dropped open again. “What the f**k?” she mouthed. Nancy shrugged, laughing, and motioned Quenby out onto the floor. 
          “God, I’m so glad he finally ask’d that girl to dance. He drove me ‘bout crazy talkin’ ‘bout her! The last two months, he ain’t wanted to talk about nutin’ else.” Patricia shouted. 
          “Really? What’s funny is, all this time, we thought he liked you!” Nancy grinned.
          “What, me and David? Nah. Now, that,” She pointed to a tall, dark-skinned Naval officer at the bar, “I’ll take.” 
          Nancy laughed. 
          “Go talk to him, then!” Patricia shook her head. “Yes! Go on, you look completely hot!”
          “Really? You think I should?” There was a gleam in the Jamaican’s eye and Nancy knew she would do it. 
          “Yes!”
          “Well, alright!” Patricia jumped up and headed toward the bar. 
          Nancy settled back onto the couch and took a sip of her water. David and Quenby were out on the dance floor, both grinning like idiots. She was so glad to see Quenby smiling. Granted, the younger girl was never at a shortage for contagious smiles, but Nancy could tell this was different. Who would have thought . . . all this time David really liked her. I guess it goes to show that you just never know. Her eyes traveled over the dance floor and she laughed out loud at Patricia and the tall seaman. It was completely obvious that neither of them knew the moves to the song but they both looked like they were having a blast. 
          Her back had begun to ache again and she shifted her position, setting down her water. Her eyes traveled involuntarily to the blue-eyed Marine and she found herself watching him. He was standing on the edge of the group with one other Marine. He said something to his friend and they both laughed. Nancy found herself smiling with them; she liked his eyes. He seems shy . . . kind, but shy. Her thoughts were interrupted as David and Quenby sat back down, breathless, each taking long gulps of water. They were laughing at something David had said, but Quenby turned to Nancy a moment later.
          “Are you doing alright? I hate that you can’t dance or anything.”
           “I’m fine! I love watching you guys. It’s nice to hear laughter again.” Nancy shouted.
            “Are you sure? You look tired. Is your back hurting again?” Quenby looked concerned.
            “Well, I am a little tired, actually. It’s been a long week.” Nancy admitted. 
            “Are you ready to leave?” Quenby stood and began gathering their purses. 
            “No! You stay! It’s still early!” Nancy protested, taking her purse and putting up a hand in resistance. 
            “No, I’ll come with you! I’ll walk you back.”
            “Really, I’m fine. I’m just going back to the room to rest for a bit. You stay. I know you and David have a lot to discuss!” Nancy knew that would distract Quenby. The younger girl couldn’t help smiling, her dark eyes flashing.
            “Well, alright. But I’m coming over first thing in the morning to tell you everything!” Quenby reached up and hugged Nancy.
            “If you’re not too tired!” Nancy teased and laughed as Quenby blushed. “Goodnight, David! Don’t keep her out too late!” 
          David waved and mouthed a goodbye over the noise. Gathering her jacket and reassuring Quenby again that she was fine, Nancy made her way through the crowd toward the exit. She sighed as the lounge doors hissed closed behind her, sealing in the noise and laughter. Grateful for the silence, she closed her eyes and leaned against the wall, waiting for the elevator. Her back and feet were aching and she couldn’t wait to lie down. 
          “Excuse me, ma’am?” Startled, Nancy opened her eyes. The blue-eyed soldier was coming toward her, his white dress blues hat in his hands. 
          “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to scare you.” His voice was soft and calming. 
          “It’s okay.” Her heart was pounding and not just because she was startled. There was a moment of awkward silence. He cleared his throat. At his nervousness, Nancy felt herself relaxing a little.
          “I’m Nancy.” She held out her hand. He looked grateful. 
          “Jonathan.” When their hands touched, Nancy felt a jolt somewhere in the vicinity of her stomach and she looked away quickly, clearing her throat. At that moment, the elevator opened.
          “It was nice to see you again, Jonathan.” Nancy stepped inside and pushed the button for her floor. The doors were almost closed when he took a deep breath and stepped forward, stopping them with his arm. 
          “Actually, I was wondering if I could see you again.” His eyes met hers and the warmth she saw there startled her. 
          “Alright.” She found herself saying. 
          He broke into a smile that immediately reached his eyes. 
          “When would be a good time for you?” He asked, pushing the door open as it tried to close again.
           “Tomorrow? I know that’s soon, but I’m actually working on something pretty important at my job, so I don’t have any time during the week.” Nancy said quickly, not wanting him to think she was rushing anything.
          “Tomorrow’s perfect. I have drill in the morning, but I could do around three o’clock?”
          “Sure. I’m in H-517.” Nancy couldn’t believe that she was giving her room number to a complete stranger. “Oh, wait! I’m in a special area for pregnant women… men aren’t allowed.” She explained at the confused look on his face.
          “Oh. Well, what about the Quad?”
          “Okay. Next to the playground?” She asked. 
           He nodded, smiling.
          “Until then. Goodnight, Nancy.” His eyes never left hers as he moved his arm. After the doors hissed shut, Nancy leaned back against the wall, her heart pounding. 
          “Holy s**t.” An overwhelming mixture of guilt and excitement flooded through her. “Holy s**t.” She said again.
          Back in her room, she curled up under the covers and wrapped her arms around her stomach. She was far from sleepy. Her thoughts strayed to Jonathan. His eyes are so damn blue. And he actually sought me out. He was thinking about me. She found herself grinning. Another thought struck her. What does this mean? Am I dating now? She spread her left hand out on the sheet. Her wedding band glinted on her ring finger. Am I’m still married? Well, I guess I’m actually a widow, if you think about it that way.
          “Baby girl, what am I doing?” She asked out loud and sighed. “Christopher? If you can hear me, tell me what I should do.” She listened in vain for a voice she knew she would never hear again. Unbidden, tears filled her eyes. “Christopher!” She pressed her face to the pillow and sobbed. 

          She cried for the first time in five months. She cried for her parents and her brother. She cried for the billions dead or dying on the surface. She cried for her life lost and her life found, for the moments that were stolen from her and those given in return. She cried until there was nothing left and then she slept.

 


© 2008 J. B. Tweed


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

solid dialogue in this piece - great descriptions - very visual - and the end was deeply moving. Well done.

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

139 Views
1 Review
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on August 27, 2008


Author

J. B. Tweed
J. B. Tweed

Asheville, NC



About
who am i? i am a conquistador... my life, at this point, is a continual rediscovery of self. what will i find--a friend or an enemy... or both? more..

Writing