Sixteen

Sixteen

A Poem by Jessie Knight
"

Wandering thoughts of a scattered young mind....

"
Sometimes feelings become far too real
Emotions begin to consume your world.

Eventually sleep is the only escape
Even a razor hardly dulls the pain.

The Earth won't stop spinning
And time seems to whirl by too quickly.

People come into your life
Then disappear with a piece of your heart.

Society threatens and sneers 
Judging everything you hold dear.

We're only human
I'm only a girl.

My mind is full of fragile thoughts
Strongly guarded by impenetrable walls of steel.

Youth are corrupted, overshadowed, scared
I'm only sixteen...

And life is already a burden. 




 

© 2013 Jessie Knight


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Take a step back and take it at your own pace. Think, when people had nothing theysurvived and enjoyed. They could.... their priorities were different than us today.

Then you can cut it at life,and cut out the razor blades.They are only for shaving, OK?

Posted 10 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Really honest. This is impressive. It can be tough, but it does get better. Just find your place, then it's all smooth sailing :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


A brutally honest expression of emotion. Yes, the teenage years can seem impossible to navigate, but then suddenly the waters are smoother and the waves are your friends. Just keep moving forward. Things WILL be better. Lydi**

Posted 10 Years Ago


Been there, done that! This is an amazingly real and powerful portrayal of the world through a teen's eyes. but trust me...it gets better. as the days and years unravel, you will discover the true meaning of things...each person, each experience will teach you, leave you with something that no school or college ever will.... either a blessing, or war wounds you can carry proudly into adulthood. Just hang in there, my friend.....enjoy the freedom and adventures of this tender age. it won't last forever, and it won't come again :) Good luck to you, this was a wonderful poem.

Posted 10 Years Ago


People come into your life
Then disappear with a piece of your heart.
amazed me!
yeah 16th year seems just a nightmare...
i can say others review are constructive.
really glad just by reading it.
thanks for sharing this!


Posted 10 Years Ago


overcoming these barriers will eventually set you free to be you.

Posted 10 Years Ago


I think you write well and I can only agree with Dr. Wood that your described feelings are part of being a young hu(wo)man. Poetry can be the way to communicate with others out there. I hope you'll find that many others struggle with similar things. Some (hopefully) constructive comments: I like to see less explicit description in poems. Try to follow through on the metaphors and analogies you're using (fragile thoughts, impenetrable walls) rather than very explicit descriptions like "sleep is the only escape" or "society threatens and sneers". But hey, I find that very difficult myself and maybe it is an active choice to write like this. Keep up the good work!

Posted 10 Years Ago


it's how the mind works when you are young and you describe it pretty damn well, I think it should read...THE youth towards the end..but i only write for laughs so what do I know?

You did well with this

Posted 10 Years Ago



3
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

835 Views
27 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on May 27, 2013
Last Updated on May 27, 2013


Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Dream Dream

A Poem by Royal Phoenix