Chapter 2

Chapter 2

A Chapter by Joey Calvo
"

Noah Rose, an 11-year-old girl has started off pretty rough. Her mom doesn't believe in her dream of being a sailor. Luckily, Milo is here to help. With the two of them together, anything is possible.

"

Chapter 2:


“Whoa, kids!” He thrust his hand out of the water and clasped the side of the boat. Mr. Hanson threw his right hand on too and used both of his secure hands to hoist himself up onto the sailboat. Milo and I tried very hard not to laugh aloud, but it was too funny of a situation to resist. When my laughter subsided, I glanced over at Milo and saw he was still laughing and then turned to face Eugene. He had begun gathering the necessary items to pull up the anchor that was logged in the rocky ocean floor. When that was secured, he began engaging in the appropriate procedure that allowed the boat to dock; I'm not too sure if it was really was the appropriate procedure, but it looked alright to me. I looked back at Milo; he was curious. Whenever he was around Eugene, he always became so mesmerized by his work. Even though sailing is my fancy, Milo seemed to just fancy Eugene in general--no matter what he was doing.

Slowly but surely, Eugene's boat began to dock in the slot adjacent to where Milo and I stood. Mr. Hanson anchored the vessel, put up his equipment and jumped out of the boat and onto the pier. 

"Sorry about that fall fellas!" He said as he wiped himself dry with a towel. "Looks like I took a mighty big tumble. I reckon if I wasn't so interested in talkin' to you kids, I wouldn't have made it out of that ocean alive!"

"Well, we're glad you made it up here safely."

I set a smile on my face. " 've never seen someb'dy fall into the water like that! Did it hurt?"

"I'm alright, just a few cuts'n'bruises here 'n there." He lifted up his left sleeve revealing a brutal gash in his forearm.

Milo panicked. "That doesn't seem to be alright to me, Mr. Hanson. I say we get you to the doctor as soon as possible. Quick, Noa! You hold his arms, I got the fee--" 

"--Oh stop it." As he said this, his head leaned back and rolled to the left, then right and then back to the middle where it returned to its original position. "I said I'm fine, I swear. Don'cha think if I really was hurtin' that bad I would tell you to take me to the hospital?" 

"I guess not," Milo said. "I know to always trust you; you're a smart man, Mr. Hanson."

Eugene replied with a smile. "I wouldn't say I'm that smart, but I'll take it!" 

Mr. Hanson and Milo continued chatting about Mr. Hanson's fall ad infinitum. I dozed off a bit and began gazing at the boats. Even though I hadn't much training in the art of boating, I did know a thing or two about models. Mr. Hanson rode a Zeta xProportion. I could tell because the starboard protruded outward in three directions creating an almost Z-like shape: but by the convex nature of the stern, I concluded Mr. Hanson owned an earlier make of the model. It was nice and all, but I preferred more classic types. The Corona Silver Edition was perhaps my favorite boat; just a simple flat stern with the port and starboard coming to a point at the bow. I thought that the classic-ness of the model was so elegant; sometimes, less is more (and that's something I didn't have to learn from Milo).

"--and with the extra oars as well; it worked out nicely," Milo said, although I was just regaining my hold on the conversation and was a little lost.

"Well, Milo," said Mr. Hanson. "I think that sounds like a great idea. Now I have to run but I'd love to catch up with you kids sometime soon."

Eugene began to pack his towel into his knapsack and headed for his boat when he was stopped by Milo's, "Wait,"

"Yeah?" Milo moved closer to him. "Can I ask you about your artisan business?" 

I knew Milo couldn't go one time with Mr. Hanson without asking him about his artisan business, but I shouldn't judge since now that I know he sails, he'll be having twice the number of conversations he has when Milo and I talk with him.

Eugene stopped putting away his boat equipment and headed back towards me; Milo followed him. "Well," he said. "It's been running pretty slow lately. I thought I'd get a little higher sales in February because of Valentines day 'n all, but nob'dy seems to be comin'."

Milo was ready to ask him tons of questions, but Mr. Hanson began to look sad so Milo didn't bother. 

"All I know, Milo," It seemed that Eugene had a change of heart, "is that I love this job and wouldn' trade it for nothin'. I can't let a few bum sales keep me down." 

Milo looked happy to see Mr. Hanson happy. I was happy too, Mr. Hanson also spoke so eloquently, like Milo; maybe that's where Milo got it from.

Mr. Hanson checked his pocket watch. "Two o'clock!" he said. "I better be going, don'cha kids know that the Day of Filia is today?"

Milo and I both nodded our heads yes, unwelcomely. "We know," said I. "It's just I nev'r really thought of all this lovin' and things as a holiday. What's Valentines anyways?"

I didn't get the whole big excitement about Valentines day, but Eugene said that he, "insist on going! It'll be fun, I promise ya."

I agreed and so did Milo, reluctantly of course. We headed down the paths we had came and took turns down winding roads waiting to arrive at The Rhom. When we arrived, I could already see the love fest taking place. Couples were kissing and holding hands, people were chatting, widows were weeping, singles were mingling and Milo and I were staring, unamused. Perhaps it's because neither I nor Milo had been, seen or experienced love before but no matter what the case, it was all too weird. The Rhom looked nice though. When Milo was in fifth grade, his teacher, Miss Patsy Crosby, lectured the class on ancient Rome; she compared The Rhom to a Roman piazza. Almost like a gathering or marketplace where the economy was aided and people in doubt of their social skills were reassured. Milo and I always used to make fun of the word piazza, though; pronouncing it in the most stereotypical Italian accent we could fathom. The Rhom was decorated with red, white and pink balloons; some their regular Mylar balloon-like shape while others in the shape of a heart. I sarcastically thought of how cute that was. Milo, Eugene and I had just arrived at the festival when were confronted.

"Excuse me, Noa." said a small voice. It was the voice of a male, about my age that I had recognized before. When I turned to see who it was, I was unpleasantly surprised. 

"Hello, Finn." I replied. Finn Novak was just another one of my classmates. I seldom see him outside of school, but today was an exception. "What's the matter?"

"Oh nothing that important..." He started to laugh and laugh with increasing volume. Milo turned his head to see what was going on. "Well," Finn started, "Did ya hear what'd happened to Elle Owens at lunch thu oth'r day?" 

"Nope, what happen'd?"

"Well, she was talkin' to somma her friends at lunch and they was arguin' 'bout how they'd all gotten bad grades on their math tests. They got so mad at the teach'r, they'd decid'd to go do a mini protest right in thu middl' of thu dang lunch room! Anyway, they start'd screamin' and runnin' around thu room to get everyon' to join 'em. I didn't, of course but at one point, Elle stood upon thu table and start'd wackin' it--hard! Everyon' cheer'd her on; so she start'd jumpin'. She jump'd and jump'd until she tried to fling her books across thu room but her body went with 'em! She got really bad bruises and is at thu hospital right 'bout now!"

I was hesitant to believe him but I decided to despite the abnormality of his claim. "Really?" I said. "I can't even believe that that happen'd. Is Elle alright?" 

Finn let out a long laugh. "I hope not! I wanna visit thu dang hospital right now just so I can laugh right in her face! How stup'd is she, Noa, huh? Pretty dumb if you ask me."

I didn't quite know how to respond to this. I wasn't really that good friends with Elle Owens anyway, but Finn was being rather rude. Nonetheless, I came up with a response but before I could speak it, Milo had developed a response of his own.

"Stop!" Milo now turned fully around and stood next to me, facing Finn. "You can't just talk meanly about people behind their backs, especially when they've gotten themselves into such a calamity like Elle has."

"Well, I don't--" Finn began to speak, but before he could start, Milo cut him off, "--No. It's totally not right. How would you like it if after the Day of Filia I just walked right up to Noa and said, 'Wow, Finn was being so rude today?' I bet you wouldn't like that if you found out what I had said. It's not wise to talk like that, Finn. Treat some people with respect. Ever heard of 'grant others with the forbearance you wish they would bestow upon you?'" 

Finn said nothing but didn't leave us. He just sat quietly beside the bench where Mr. Hanson was sat, and Mr. Hanson was inattentive to Milo and Finn's confrontation. In my mind, I thought about what Milo had said. Deep down, I did find Elle's predicament a little comical, but I knew it was wrong--so did Milo; so did Finn. 

I glanced back over at the main square part of The Rhom where all the townspeople actually interested in partaking in the celebration of the Day of Filia congregated. Eugene was looking at them too; I wondered if he's sad that we're holding him back from going up there. We really aren't though, I think Milo's perfectly capable of watching over us, but it's probably just that adult paranoia. There were few people I recognized here; It seemed like all the oddly affluent people from the Christian side of Rivermere were here. What a rare site it would've been to see someone from Franq here; they barely take part in events like this. At one point, all couples were forced to rush into the middle and perform a two step waltz number. They all grabbed hands while a small woodwind quintet played a monotonous chorus of "One, two, three. One, two, three..." Finn nudged Milo and I to go join the other mannequins on the makeshift dance floor, but I ignored it and Milo just kinked back his shoulder as to withdraw Finn's hand from it. Mr. Hanson turned around to look at us. 

"Hey, kids?' He asked.

"Yes, Eugene?" asked Milo. 

"I've just been wondering, you guys seem to talk a lot about your dreams and not to sound conceited but...me, but I never hear about your family! So, what's up with them?"

"Funny story," We all braced ourselves for the utter unintelligence that was bound to exit Finn's mouth. "I was with my mam and dad last year here at this festival and they were party'n all night long! By the time thu awards came along, my parents name was called. We all got all jittery and wait'd for thu announcer to call the award. And he got up on the podium and said, 'Mr. and Mrs. Novak, I present you with the ugliest couple award!" And they got on stage all teary eyed and I and them was so happy that day."

"Wonderful..." Mr. Hanson sounded like he was ready to take off. "Well, whata 'bout you, Noa?"

I began to speak. "Well, my parents are divorced. They got it done a long time ago back when I was small, well smaller. I never really knew 'em that well though. He'd come 'n go sometimes when I was little but then he stopped comin' altogether. Now it's just me and mama. It's nice and all but sometimes I wish I still had him, just to experience what it's like to have a fath'r again."

"I never knew that." said Milo. He seemed like he sympathized for me, which I admired. 

"You shoulda told a story like that in class!"

I awkwardly smirked. "I dunno, I'd rather keep my business to myself and not share it with the whole school."

"You sure it's okay you told us now? I just wanted to know more 'bout you guys, that's all."

"No, it's fine, Eugene."

Milo looked into my eyes but then quickly averted his gaze back on Mr. Hanson. "It's good," he started to speak. "It's good to talk about it sometimes, Noa. Keeping your unwanted feelings inside you isn't that healthy. You don't have to share it to the world, but at least share it with someone every once in a while; it'll make you feel better."

I knew Milo was right: of course he was, he always knew what to say.

"Well in that case, why don't you tell us 'bout your fam'ly?" No one even took the time to look at Finn when he spoke. 

"Umm..." Milo scratched his scalp and parted his hair on the opposite side he had it parted to so that his hair now consisted of three sections: left, right and center. "Well, I live with my father and my mother died when I was two."

I was surprised Milo hadn't even told me this before now, some best friend; that was a petty thought though, so I let him continue--but he didn't. Instead he got very nervous and reserved. I tried to ponder some helpful advice, like he would do to me, but I couldn't think of any. He just sat there laying sadly, probably regretting what he just said, not because he just told Finn, Mr. Hanson and I, but because he started to think of the things that haunt him. Maybe it's also good to sometimes keep your unwanted feelings inside; that's good advice! But by the time I thought of It, Eugene had already began to speak.

"It's okay, Milo. You don't have to say more." Milo nodded yes.

The night began to wind down and Milo, Eugene and I watched the award ceremony together. Finn had ran off to go sit with his mother and father as they anxiously prayed for that two year title. The awards were so superficial that I barely was paying attention and started to daze out. I was thinking about my mother. I know she wasn't going to be at the festival tonight since no Franq's ever show up here and she wasn't even home last night so I don't know where she went off to. Perhaps she went a little far out of her way to get herself or me a Valentines day gift? Or maybe she decided to treat herself to a little holiday to get quality alone time with herself. If that was the case, I wouldn't mind; I'm perfectly content with staying in Rivermere and visting Mr. Hanson and hanging out with Milo. But I don't think that was the case. Where could she've gone?

The Day of Filia had ended and everyone was packing away their folding chairs, unlacing their dancing shoes and giving their significant other one last kiss under The Rhom's radiant moonlight. I saw Finn and his parents run off towards the Christians. Mr. Hanson approached me. He told me he'd love to work on some boating things tomorrow and I immediately agreed. He then had another long conversation with Milo about the artisan life and I chuckled; not only about the typicalness of the topic, but at the strange longevity that it could withhold. When they finished chatting, Mr. Hanson said a quick goodbye to us and headed towards the docks. 

"See ya later, Milo." I scratched my earlobe and hugged Milo goodnight. On rare occasions I'd walk to my house by myself. It was just more convenient tonight; we were both very tired and the Christian side and Franq are on total opposite sides of town. I didn't mind the darkness, either.

When I arrived home I rushed up to the front door to check the state of the lock--it was unlocked. I smiled and opened the door. My coat was hung on the coat rack and my shoes were slipped underneath the wicker bench in the mudroom. I quietly crept to see my mothers room; my mother lay in her bed sound asleep. She seemed like she was having a good dream or sleeping very well tonight; I knew I would too, and I tucked myself in and turned out the light.



© 2015 Joey Calvo


Author's Note

Joey Calvo
Chapter 2! Any suggestions?

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

The narration flows smoothly and the plot seems to be rather great. Well, you could just add a little detail about how long Noah and Milo had been friends; just to give the reader a better idea about their friendship. I like how even though it's a simple story it seems to be so unpredictable. I enjoyed it. Do keep writing.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 8 Years Ago


Joey Calvo

8 Years Ago

Thank you so much! I've been planning out the plot and I'm very excited to write more; glad you like.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

173 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on May 13, 2015
Last Updated on June 4, 2015
Tags: noah, rose, milo, eugene, sailor, artisan, 16, 11, fiction, girl


Author

Joey Calvo
Joey Calvo

About
Novice fiction writer who enjoys novels and poetry. Hoping I can finish one of my works someday. more..

Writing
Home Home

A Poem by Joey Calvo


Gooni Gooni

A Story by Joey Calvo


Noah Rose Noah Rose

A Book by Joey Calvo