My Morning Meal

My Morning Meal

A Story by Lola Junebug
"

I was given a prompt awhile back, and was told to write something from the POV of a famous person, so I thought it would be fun to write as if I was Helen Keller. This is what I came up with.

"

I was not always blind and deaf. I was ill as a young child, no more than 2 years old - but that is still at least 730 days of memory where I had all of my senses. I don't remember which color was which, or even what color is - but I remember sunlight, and the warmth my body was filled with whenever my mother carried me outside.

Sound was tricky for me, as well. I couldn't remember music or words, but I could remember clearly what the sound of mother's heartbeat sounded like, drumming rhythmically whenever she laid my head against her chest, her sweet strawberry perfume consuming my senses. I could also remember her voice, or at least the vibrations they made when she would sing or hum to me as I fell asleep, cradled in her arms.

As an adult, with my mother long passed, I know I will never have those moments again, but I am reminded of them every morning when I sit down to eat breakfast. I feel the same warmth I would get from the sun whenever I ate hot, scrambled eggs - the warmth will completely fill me, starting from my mouth and dribbling down my throat, into my chest, and stretching through my limbs.

I feel the same vibrations I experienced as a child when I enjoy a delicious stack of pancakes with strawberries on top that smell just like her perfume - the flavor makes me so happy that I find myself humming a happy little tune, similar to the one my mother sang when she held me and made me familiar with her beautiful, sweet scent.

I may not have all my senses, but that does not mean I can't experience them while using the other senses that I still have, such as touch, scent, and flavor.

© 2020 Lola Junebug


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

49 Views
Added on April 23, 2020
Last Updated on April 23, 2020

Author

Lola Junebug
Lola Junebug

About
I've been writing for several years now, just for fun. I took a creative writing course in college, and my teacher told me at the end of the semester that he loved my work and that I should consider s.. more..

Writing
Lola Lola

A Story by Lola Junebug


Blue Blue

A Poem by Lola Junebug