Chapter Five

Chapter Five

A Chapter by Jules
"

The fifth chapter of my novel, when everything is recalled

"

 

     The days flew by. On Monday we went to Brooklyn for the morning, touring the Brooklyn Museum, and then headed to Central Park for the afternoon. Tuesday was spent in the Bronx, going to the Bronx Zoo in the morning and then going to a Yankees game against Detroit. The Yankees lost 4-5, much to Talon’s dismay. Wednesday was a free day. I went to the hair salon with Kendra and Noelle while Demi, Ari and Shauna slept in and then we all met for lunch followed by shopping for a while and then we met up with the guys for dinner.

 
            On the morning of August thirtieth, I woke up to sun streaming into our hotel room. It was nice to be able to wake up on my own time for the second day in a row. At the same time though, I was sad to be leaving New York City—the place where it all began for me; the place where a group of strangers because good friends; the place where my first memories of Gateways High School, but at the same time, I was excited to move on and go somewhere else, especially somewhere where I had never been.
            I knew that the plane ride wouldn’t be relaxing like normal; I had thirteen tests to deal with, most of which I wasn’t concerned about though, because I had found all of my school work extremely easy. Martine told me that the tests were all really short, more like a quiz, anyways.
             After lying in bed for a while, I went into the living room to see if I could fine my roommates, to my surprise, Kendra, Shauna and Ari were sitting around the dining room table with menus in their hands.
            “Come on sleepyhead, we’re getting room service breakfast. Angela called a while ago and said that we had to be packed and down at the lobby by eleven-thirty. We have an hour and a half,” Noelle said with her deep southern drawl.
            I walked over and sat down next to Shauna at the table and looked on with her at the menu she was holding. I felt kind of stupid, I was the only one who wasn’t showered and dressed, but that was okay, it was just the girls, so it didn’t really matter. Part of me wondered where the guys had gone for breakfast though. I highly doubted they got room service, it didn’t seem like them, but I doubt they would have gone to an actual sit-down restaurant. To be honest, I didn’t know why I cared so much about where they ate breakfast.
            A half hour after Demi called to place our order, our food came. I ate my French toast and then went to my room to get my clothes so I could shower. I was kind of glad I packed the night before. It was nice to not have that stress of getting everything together, and only have to pick my suitcase up and go since we brought all of the clothes we weren’t bringing to Patagonia to the schools headquarters, and hung it all up in our closets.
            After I showered, I put on a white C & C California tank, a light pink velour Juicy Couture zip-up hoodie, dark wash True Religion jeans and my silver sequined converse. Around my neck, I clasped a necklace that my mother gave me the night before I left. It was a very thin silver chain and it had a Tiffany lock strung on it. I sprayed my Nollie perfume on my wrists and braided my hair into two braids that were thrown over my shoulder. Right before we were about to leave for the lobby, I put my laptop, iPod, camera, cell phone and a few other things into my black trimmed, white leather Betsey Johnson tote. When Noelle, Demi and I were ready, we said goodbye to New York City, until next year.
            As we drove to the airport in a bunch of taxis and then eventually arrived at the airport, checked in, went through security and then sat at the gate waiting for the plane to begin boarding, I recalled everything that had happened over the past week, pulling a complete Harlow and trying to analyze everything that really stood out to me in my mind.
             Despite the fact that I was beginning to have feelings for Nathan, I knew he had his eye on Kendra, because he asked about her and always went out of his way to be near her or to make her laugh, but I don’t think she was into him in that same way. Then whenever Nathan was around me, he talked to me like I was completely human and not another species, exactly how I prefer to be talked to by a guy, however, sometimes I thought that he only thought of me as a best friend, and never as a potential girlfriend. Being good friends with him wouldn’t bother me at all, but even though I said I wasn’t going to do the whole guy thing for awhile, I was definitely falling for him—and fast.
            As for Grant staring at me throughout the week, and making attempts, like Nathan to Kendra, to be around me and trying hard to make me laugh, I didn’t know what to make of it. I really liked Grant as a close friend; he was funny, really nice, sympathetic and an all-around really sweet guy. The thing is, not once over the course of the week did I picture him as anything more than a good friend, to be honest, I didn’t think about him being anything more until now. I guess I’d have to see what happened in the coming four years. I mean, it’s only the first week, and something with Nathan isn’t looking to promising at the moment, so you never know.
            I was shocked at how close I had become with Noelle and Demi. On the flight from Chicago when I was thinking about what was going to happen and what I hoped my roommates were going to be like, I thought it would take at least a month to really, truly become close. The truth though, was that we had only known each other eight days and I felt like the two of them could be my sisters, well stereotypical sisters who confide in each other for anything and everything and talk about what guys they think are good looking that is; we didn’t have the love-hate relationship most real life sisters have, or so I’ve heard.
            Angela, Martine, Zach and Dan seemed really nice, so far. Angela was a little bit annoying and way too organized for her own good sometimes though and kind of made people feel a little bit stupid when they didn’t know something. Martine was a nice person in general. She made her tours interesting and actually worth listening to. Zach was cool, but like Angela, he needed to calm down a bit. Dan was really nice, sometimes too nice, but at least he was worth listening to—sometimes.
            As for everyone else in my grade, they all seemed like good people. I finally talked to Breanne and Peyton in the line to check in. Breanne seemed really good and down to earth; Peyton was really shy and kind of quiet. I also talked to Pete and Tyler as we were in line to go through security. Pete seemed like an egomaniac, which could potentially get annoying. Tyler seemed really sweet, and caring. He’s the kind of person that I would like to get to know better. Overall though, I was impressed how nice and fun to be around everyone was, which made me breathe a huge sigh of relief.
            “Har. Harlow. Harlow Sofia,” Noelle said as she shook me as I remained still in the oh-so-comfortable airport chairs. I was deep in thought as she called my name, pausing in between every name.
            “Oh, what?” I asked her, as I suddenly snapped out of my own little world.
            “They’re boarding us now, we have to go,” she told me.
            I got up from the chair, grabbed my tote and followed her and the rest of the group as they walked toward the jet way and onto the plane. When I walked onto the jet way, I silently said goodbye to New York until the end of next August. It had been a fun time, but I had high hopes for Patagonia.


© 2008 Jules


Author's Note

Jules
Written kind of quickly. Let me know of any errors

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

This was amazing. It's well written, and the character is easily relatable.
The writing is funny and serious at the same time, and over all its just really good!
I can't believe you haven't updated in so long, i would definatly like to read more on this.
Amazing Work! :D xo

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

178 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on August 27, 2008


Author

Jules
Jules

MA



About
My name is Julia, but I go by Jules, Jaye or Jaycee (phonetically spelled out initials). I'm fifteen years old. I'm going to be a sophomore in high school, and I'm excited for everything but waking up.. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Jules


Chapter One: Callie Chapter One: Callie

A Chapter by Jules