Lantern

Lantern

A Story by Julie Shi MacPherson
"

I am lost but I will not look back

"
Yokai, supernatural monsters from Japanese folklore. Thing that never thought to exist had become seen. Strange apparitions or just a trick of the eye we shall never know. These beasts were known to shape-shift and hold animal features. The world holds mystery’s that ever humans won't explore. Once we step foot into this unknown realm there is no turning back.

A small tree hollow had been his home for years. It was not much but it protected all that lived there from the harsh elements. The scent of grass and mud welcomed him as he ducked into the hollow. He belonged to a race of Kitsune, fox spirits that usually protected shrines. Neon yellow eyes appeared from the depths of the hollow once more fading into the darkness.

"Raikou, you're home already?"

At the sound of the voice, his ear twitched turning to face it. Eyes that could easily see miles picked out the rugged grey pelt of his brother Roku. As Roku shook his pelt bits of twigs and leaves, hit the ground no making a sound. 

"Yeah, I'm going to sleep" Raikou curled his body into a ball and closed his eyes. 

In the morning, Roku was nowhere to be seen. Panic coursed through Raikou making him dart outside the morning light blinding him. Dark grey ash fell from the sky covering the ground in a white blanket. Trees toward overhead from them came the same ash from the ground. Fires consumed the forest, smoke thick in the air. Even his eyes could not see further than what was in front of him. It was that, which made his fear grow thicker.

He let out a yowl; "Roku."

The only thing that returned was the echo of his own voice. Raikou raced into the fires emerging into a small town. It burned with multicolored flames yet the building stood. The sounds of screaming and crying flooded his ears. With a crash, a building tumbled down slamming into his paw. Excruciating pain filled Raikou's body sending an electric shock to his spine. One free the pain numbed and faded, covered by fear.

Howls filled the air, it was then the scent hit him, the smell of wet dog and burning hair. Overhead the sky flashed with lightning, thunder crashing like a bowling ball striking pins. Through that flash, he saw the lifeless body of his brother his pelt covered in ash and blood. The corpse no longer resembled his only blood related brother mangled and torn open.  "Roku." he sobbed.

Tear stained his fur and fell from the tips dropping to the ground. He ran, ran until his home was nowhere in sight to his paws were slicked with blood from the jagged rock underfoot. Raikou's mind drifted all thoughts lost running until he could not form a thought. This train of thoughtlessness sent him over a ledge flailing and spiraling towards the blackness of the abyss. Fear consumed all of him swallowing him into unconsciousness.

"Merow, are you okay Kitsune?" A voice asked soft to the ears.

Raikou opened his eyes to the dark green eyes of a Bakeneko. Creatures that looked very much like a normal wild cat, but held frighten power. The ability to transform into a beast that struck fear into the very hearts of humans. Creating fireballs, Flight, speech, and walking on its hind legs where some of the ability's that a Bakeneko could perform. With supernatural abilities akin to those of the Kitsune or Tanuki, him and the Bakeneko where very alike.

"Bakeneko...Where am I? Tails smacked him in the face his vision hindered for a slight second.

"Where else but paradise." The Bakeneko snickered.

Air laced with the suffocating smell of gasoline a smell Raikou had only smelled once before. Memories came flooding back making his chest tighten in pain. Unfamiliar sights and sounds surrounded him, which made him want to run from all of it. However, Raikou had no home to return to for it had fallen to the flames and smoke. "Call me Hoshizaki."

"Starry Night, that's quite a name." A flash of pain crossed Hoshizaki's eyes then deepened to a look of sadness.

"My master always had a thing for the night stars." Hoshizaki said looking to the sky covered with clouds.

© 2012 Julie Shi MacPherson


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

104 Views
Added on June 2, 2012
Last Updated on June 2, 2012

Author

Julie Shi MacPherson
Julie Shi MacPherson

Wayne, MI



About
Hello there!!! My name is Julie MacPherson. I'm a sixteen year old from Wayne, Michigan. I've been writing for about three years now, and have been developing my skills over the past years. more..

Writing