The Blanket Lady

The Blanket Lady

A Story by Junebug
"

I connected with an inner child's protector. This is what she had to say.

"
When I met the Blanket Lady, she was hard at work, although she made it look natural. She had just put a young child to bed. She was rubbing the child's back under a fuzzy blanket and softly saying reassurances. The child fell asleep, but she didn't leave her side. 
When she noticed me, she attempted a smile, but it came out as a grimace. The child stirred in her sleep. The Blanket Lady snapped back to her former posture. Her face looked tranquil, voice soothing, her muscles relaxed. She was a dedicated care taker.
I stood and waited. After a while, she stood and came to me. She put a cardigan on, but not before I saw the lacerations. I started to ask what happened, but she put one finger to her lips and gestured for me to follow her. 
We left the room and found ourselves outside. We walked along a dirt path until we reached a cliff face. Carved into the rock was a door. We entered. Inside was cool and comfortable. There were knick-knacks on the shelves: a dirty baseball, admittance tickets, two broken dolls holding hands. Her kitchen was small and all the dishes were chipped. The ceiling was short and the space so tiny, everything she owned was in sight. 
Yet, as I looked around her hovel, I could see it was filled with love. There was a pleasant aroma and fresh cookies on a heart shaped plate. There were tea candles carefully balanced on side tables and shelving so as to cast gentle light in every corner. The floors were covered with rugs. The one couch was filled with pillows. Art covered the walls. There were beautiful water paintings of mountain scenes and peaceful animals. 
There was a kid's corner. Toys were in a basket and art supplies scattered on a small desk. A half done finger painting of a smiling lady laid on the desk. 
"Is this of you?" I asked as I picked it up. 
"Yes. She told me she loves it when I smile." She replied tearfully.
She served tea and invited me to sit at a table set for two. 
"Thanking you for coming here and for staying quiet back there." She said. 
"What were you doing?" I asked.
"I protect her from him. I soothe her and allow her to peacefully dream while I brunt the pain." She said as she revealed her back to me. It was a horrifying mess of fresh wounds and scar tissue. This abuse had clearly been occurring for a long time now.
"Wow. That looks so painful. We have to stop him!" I exclaimed. 
She looks ruefully at me and then down at her hands. "I can't." She replied.
"What? Why not? I'll help you." I insisted.
"Because she lives with him and I do not. She goes out There while I remain in Here." She explained. "I cannot stop him. But, I can take as much pain for her as possible. I can give her the sweet dreams she doesn't get out There."
"How do you manage the pain?" I asked. 
"As long as I know I am saving her, I can bare it." She shrugged.
"I see a play area. Does she ever come in here?" I asked. 
Her eyes started to water. She replied, "She sometimes does when I have the energy to play. However, I am never able to fully recover from the pain, and recently the attacks have been frequent. I haven't had the space to smile and play with her. It has overwhelmed me with guilt." 
"You are doing such a great job. Neither of you deserve this. I would love to assist you." I earnestly replied. 
"Really? Thank you. I needed to hear that. Maybe I will call you back here again. Thank you for coming in to see my world." 
And with that, she waved her hand and whisked me out of her home and back to my world.

© 2023 Junebug


Author's Note

Junebug
Wow, it has been 6 years since I logged on! Very out of practice. Just looking to reconnect with my creative side and release some tension.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Very interesting and well written. It kept me hanging on but left a lot of questions unanswered. Though that is the mystery of it. I wonder though, what help will she offer to this old woman...will she be willing to accept some of the pain for the child? Really nicely done.

Posted 11 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Junebug

11 Months Ago

Honestly, some questions are unanswered for me as well. I tried not to think at all while writing an.. read more
willweb

11 Months Ago

Knowing that, I think it turned out pretty cool.
It was my pleasure.



Reviews

This made me cry. What a powerful story about accepting one's burden. I thought maybe the visitor would help the old woman but instead left and probably without another thought to the blanket lady and child. Just like how so many of us turn our heads the other way when we see others enduring hardships. I really enjoyed this!

Posted 11 Months Ago


Junebug

1 Week Ago

Thank you for reading and commenting!
My interpretation was more of the opposite; the BL ref.. read more
Very interesting and well written. It kept me hanging on but left a lot of questions unanswered. Though that is the mystery of it. I wonder though, what help will she offer to this old woman...will she be willing to accept some of the pain for the child? Really nicely done.

Posted 11 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Junebug

11 Months Ago

Honestly, some questions are unanswered for me as well. I tried not to think at all while writing an.. read more
willweb

11 Months Ago

Knowing that, I think it turned out pretty cool.
It was my pleasure.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

45 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 9, 2023
Last Updated on May 10, 2023

Author

Junebug
Junebug

GA



About
Crawlin around tryin to make the words in my head come alive more..

Writing
Human? Human?

A Poem by Junebug


Falling Falling

A Poem by Junebug