Facing the Demon

Facing the Demon

A Poem by justjenn_2u

 

 

 

I pass broken road signs

glancing at decrepit buildings

fading from once bright colors

to dull reminders of my past

 

A ride down memory lane

serves as self punishment

reminding me how spirituality

should have been first, not last

 

Homeless, poverty stricken humans

with dead eyes and cold faces

struggle in a gloomy ghost town

where drugs have won the holy war

 

Corrupt police, and crooked officials 

seduce the broken-spirited addicts

dangling embezzled drugs as hard candy

to runaway mothers and the lost street w***e

 

Setting my eyes to my higher power

I plead for God to touch my now aged face

realizing the sun shines behind the dark clouds

as God touches my yearning soul and turns it anew

 

I raise my hands and tremble

praying to God relentlessly

realizing the road to recovery is as

the road to heaven, narrow and few.

 

Tears are now replaced with laughter

releasing pain staking reminders

as I thrive in this wicked world

where the sun forever shines behind clouds

 

© 2012 justjenn_2u


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Wow. This may be my favorite of yours yet. You present a very strong and clear image, but you didn't necessarily tell the reader what it means. It makes for good poetry.

My favorite lines were, "Corrupt police, and crooked officials/seduce the broken-spirited addicts/dangling embezzled drugs as hard candy/to runaway mothers and the lost street w***e." You put the reader right there in the middle of it. Good stuff. Truly.

Keep up the good work, Jenn!

Posted 15 Years Ago


4 of 4 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

this is a great piece...coming back from addiction, from being broken, pulling oneself up off the floor.

and yes, this city, ??? have seen it first hand...seen the deterioration of what once was beautiful...but yes, it can be again.

nicely done...you really capture the downfall and then the phoenix rising from the ashes.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Deep and introspective, you wrote this wickedness superbly, great read Jenn!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A very beautiful write and it made me smile too ... :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


Liked this peice so much. The opening stanza buildings and places that make up a life. Warehouses Schools Churches places that once thrived now lie empty broken and souless like the heart has been ripped from them. You take us from the broken souls of building to Memory Lane again a place that you know so well a place where homelessnes lives a place for ghosts and poverty a place where self punishment reigns and dead eyes have won the fight. You paint a oh so familiar picture with these opening stanzas. The Police are crocked to as they dangle drugs in the faces of the addict and the runaway mothe and the lost street w***e. You are there on the street in the heart of Memeory Lane and your heart is yearning as you turn your face to Heaven and answering the call to be salt and light you plead with God. to begin the road to recovery with this place. Thae prayers of a righteous person availeth much but with all things the people, the town, the lane have got to want to to do this. Your Prayers will be answerd in time by a God that cares so much for the addict mother and w***e . but as your tears turn to laughter as you see how you have thrived in this dark place he leaves you with this thought that the sun always shines behind dark clouds. excellant work here jen thought provoking poingant and true ....

Posted 12 Years Ago


Wonderful woven words! Tremble, indeed, if we pay attention we'd all be trembling! I love this piece, such a gold coin in a thought-empty pocket. Like a hug, really!

Posted 13 Years Ago


We all, have struggles, which threaten to destroy our souls, in the war of salvation. Some, are more painful than others. Jenn, your victory shines like a beacon through the dark places of your poem. I know hard, this battle can be to one's soul and self-confidence. Never give up on yourself. You're one of the true survivors. Thank you for letting us, into part of your life, with this poem.

Posted 14 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
JRB
seeking god to find one self, lost,,,

Posted 15 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

we all have our own lil' demons,I'm glad to see your writing has not deminished with time as well...
I hope time is kinder to you than it has been for me,nice work here too...LonelySoul d:?)

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

This is powerful stuff. I could feel it and see it. It was flowing and engaging. ty PS

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

It is said that when walking onto the road to recovery, its important to not forget where you've been and how you've gotten to where you are now. The darkest days of our past can be a great incentive to keep us striving for the light of our future in recovery. You paint a vivid and accurate image of the ongoing hell of addiction and its vicims. The strength one needs to overcome the devil's dance can only be found in spirituality. Hope lies in wait behind the clouded sky and in time , again the sun will shine. This was a very enjoyable read. A hard subject to tackle but , pain makes for some great poetry.

Mr.Lopez

Posted 15 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

993 Views
29 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on December 17, 2008
Last Updated on August 13, 2012

Author

justjenn_2u
justjenn_2u

VA



About
I write from my heart. I follow my instinct. I live impulsively. I never feel like my feet are firmly grounded as I am a free spirit. I am a very intuitive person, sometimes to the point it hurts .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..