Chapter 9

Chapter 9

A Chapter by KA Sharp

Chapter 9

 

 

     “So I’ll be traveling alone in this wilderness world at some point.” I’ve been moody and grumbling to myself ever so often since we left the Grizzlies. “Yuuin, at least you’ll be with me, I’m sure I’d get hopelessly lost without you.” “Actually, that wouldn’t be an issue regardless.” I look up to find that it is of course Tsuren who has disturbed my ranting thoughts. I pout and narrow my eyes at him. “And what’s that supposed to mean?” “It means my dear, that once we get you to some real roads, you can travel in style.” I furrow my brows a bit while I think. “Real roads? Why aren’t there any here then? And what do you mean travel in style?” Tsuren groans as if explaining these things to me is worse than dealing with the ignorance of a child.

“We live in the high north, full of predators where not many of the clans can survive. Why in the world WOULD there be roads here? Predators aren’t exactly known for their social skills love.” “But prey are?” “Now you’re getting it. Further south we’ll come across some prey clans, the first of which is the Thunderbird Clan.” “Thunderbird Clan“? Now I really am acting like a child, bouncing up and down with excitement. I don’t even know what kind of creature it could be, but they sound really cool. “They’re a hardy lot, and they aren’t likely to give us a warm greeting. You’re with two recognizable predators, who are known to eat such creatures. Sorry child, but we can’t tarry there long.”

     “Well I’m just glad I’ll get to meet them at all. Um, what kind of “creatures” are they?” Ivernis smiles kindly. “The animal they take after is a medium sized game bird whose legs and feet are covered entirely with feathers to survive the cold and act as snowshoes. The predators of the north call them snow chickens.” Now his smile doesn’t seem kind anymore. Now it looks hungry and I kinda feel sorry for the Thunderbirds. It’s not their fault they got demoted to snow chicken. I can see why we won’t be staying there long. “So how long will it take to get there?” “It’s a few days’ trek, if we push ourselves. They aren’t overly fond of living so close to predators. The caribous are actually closer, but that would require a detour to the west.”

     “I see. There are so many different clans it seems.” “Yes, but many have died off or near extinction. It won’t be long until the bears are next.” “Why are they next? It seemed like they had more members in their clan than yours.” “It’s a long story…” “One that we’ve got time for.” “Alright, but it’s not a nice story.”

     Unlike the SnowCats, the bears didn’t kill those who shape shifted, but left them to fend for themselves in the wild, where they would probably become the prey of other clans. Kovo’s older brother got into a fight with another grizzly and transformed. Kovo was still a young boy and went to chase after his brother, but the guards and clan leaders stopped him. He started to shift form as well, but his father, a guard member, tried to stifle the transformation. It partially worked, but on Kovo’s account, he doesn’t remember anything that happened after that.

     The villagers found a gruesome scene though. They saw Kovo slaughtering the guards, most of them as well as the clan leader already dead. Kovo was slashing into his own father when a giant grizzly bear, his brother, lunged at Kovo, raking his claws into the boy. Kovo passed out and the bear disappeared. Kovo’s arm never returned to normal, and he was a different person afterwards. He simply had no memories at all.

     Without a leader and not knowing what to do, the surviving clan members imprisoned Kovo and sent word to all the other clans, recounting the events that took place and seeking advice. Word got to other clans very fast and a meeting of the clans was held to determine what to do. Ultimately, other bear clans joined with the grizzlies as well as the Fox Clan since they breed easily, and they kept a close eye on Kovo, sending him from clan to clan so that the leaders could judge his character.

     Eventually Kovo was allowed to return home, where he worked tirelessly every day to help people with their chores, build homes, hunt, etc. When asked why he worked himself so hard, if it was out of guilt, he said only that he didn’t want to feel useless and kept working. Through the many hunts the new clan quickly realized Kovo was now best suited to be leader, but it was hard for a lot of people to accept. Kovo is still proving himself to this day.

     It wasn’t a happy story, but I’m glad I heard it. I was unsure of Kovo’s character beforehand, and not entirely sure I could trust him, but now I see that my initial instinct was correct. He’s honest and kind, and has overcome a great deal of hardship. I won’t be doubting him again.

     We made relatively good time through the snowy woods, but mostly because every time my pace slowed, someone would pick me up to let me rest. Of course I insisted I could keep up, but they knew I would only slow them down. When we set up camp, Tsuren disappeared, saying he had something to do. By setting up camp, I mean that they uncovered a hidden burrow in the snow that acted as a tiny room, with hard icy walls and floor. It was too dark in there for me to do anything, but Ivernis laid out furs everywhere preparing our beds. Apparently he can see perfectly well in the dark. Exhausted, I was all too happy to fall asleep with warm little Yuuin curled into my side.

     I woke up to Yuuin’s rough tongue licking my face repeatedly. “I get the message, I’m awake.” Allowing him to guide me out, I greeted another cold, overcast day. The tree cover made it easier to not be blinded by all the white. I seriously hope it’s warmer in the city. Ivernis packed up, we munched on some jerky, drank a little water, and set out once more, without Tsuren. I asked about him, but Ivernis only vaguely assured me that he would catch up. I decided that I didn’t particularly care if he couldn’t.

     He did in fact catch up to us around midday. At first I was elated to see him, and then I remembered I didn’t care and acted indifferent. He gave a big show of mock hurt, making me laugh despite myself. It’s at that moment that I came to understand that though he acts like a jerk and a pervert, he’s actually not quite so bad, at least I think so anyways. That thought alone sends me laughing again, much to their surprise, but I keep this particular joke to myself.

 

~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

     This is our third day traveling. Along the way we’ve run across some of Kovo’s men, who carried both good and bad news. The good news was that Fierdna had spent a lot of time traveling between villages, so she actually wasn’t so far ahead of us. Ivernis stood a chance of catching up with her before she got to “Emmy” whatever that means. The bad, well, she’d enlisted the help of other clans to spread the news about capturing me for the Council, so she was now heading straight for the Council meeting place. Ivernis would have to leave us to chase after her, and Tsuren had to do more damage control than he’d originally thought. They assured me that they would both take me to the ThunderBirds first, as we were just about there. We’d made great timing, since they never let me slow them down. When I ask about “Emmy” they chuckle and correct me. E-M-E, or eme. They tell me that it’s how I’ll get to the city. I’m shushed before I can inquire any further.

     We have, apparently, just crossed into ThunderBird territory, and it would be best if we didn’t arouse concern. We tread swiftly across the eerily silent terrain, all of us following Tsuren, who seemed to be the only one of us sure of where to go. At this point of our trip, though it really had only just begun, I already wanted nothing more than decent food and a hot bath. The traveling itself wasn’t quite so bad, since Tsuren or Ivernis always carried me when I tired (quite honestly I always opted for Ivernis when I could, and had to threaten Tsuren excessively otherwise). I wasn’t sure how I would make it without them, and didn’t even know how far Yuuin and I had to travel. I hadn’t yet had a chance to look at my maps.

     Already in my head I tried to devise ways to befriend these snowy foul to get all the resources I required, as well as a guide perhaps. I paid no attention to my surroundings as I considered this. Maybe a guide was actually a terrible idea. These people might believe Fierdna whole-heartedly and lead me to my demise. Well, I suppose I would just have to judge their alliances on my own, once I finally got to meet them.

     As I thought these things, I walked straight into Ivernis’ outstretched arm and fell backwards. Flustered and blushing I quickly jumped up and straightened myself out. Standing before us was a shapely young woman of pale skin with short chestnut hair and a light dusting of freckles across her face. Two ladies stood behind her, but not sharing in her courage; they were trembling. They all wore white feathers in their hair, and their garments were a mix of white wool and more white feathers. Just as I was about to bow in greeting, Tsuren beat me to it, although his greeting wasn’t the polite one I’d intended on. “So many charming little ladies all in one spot, this must be a blessed day.” He made to reach for the one standing nearest, but I grabbed his cloak pulling him back.

     “Please excuse this idiot. My name is Miya. Who might you be?” “Torikibo, and I know who you are. The priestess came, and we sent her away.” “You mean Fierdna? Why did you “send her away”? She raised one brow. “You’d rather we hadn’t?” “No that’s not what I mean. I just want to know why you didn’t follow her commands.” “She did not possess the authority to command us.” “That’s all?” “That is all.”

     Ivernis shifted the weight of his pack, grabbing my attention. “Miya, Fierdna’s not here and I have to catch her. I’ve got to go, and I’m not sure when we’ll meet again. Good luck and may Varterus see you safe.” With that he walked on swiftly without turning back. His departure was too swift for me to respond so I shouted to him, “You can be sure that we’ll meet again! This isn’t goodbye!” I watched him go until Tsuren muttered, “announce our location to everyone, why dontcha.” “Hey, stop being such a jerk and show a little respect!” I slugged him one in the arm and Torikibo giggled, showing a softer side of herself. “Miya, why don’t you rest with us for a bit. Fox priest, you know you aren’t welcome on this side. If you need anything please confer with Raikon.” Quick as a flash she thrust her palm forward hitting Tsurensquare in the chest and causing him to fly back further than I could see. She grabbed my wrist and hastily pulled me after her.

     I did struggle, but she was too strong so I begrudgingly followed after her to avoid being dragged. “Hey! I can’t leave Tsuren!” “You can and you will” she said with an iron will. “ ‘Sides, he’ll be ok. It’s the only way I can ever get that pervert fox away from us.” Quite suddenly, I didn’t feel so bad for Tsuren. Whatever he’d done to incur this woman’s wrath, he SURELY deserved it. Up ahead all I could see was a wall of snow… and we were running straight for it, much too fast for my liking. “Um…” I started hesitantly, “you do know we’re about to run into that wall, right?” “Don’t worry chicky, we do this all the time.” I didn’t really doubt her but I still covered my face with my free arms and reflexively squeezed my eyes shut, but, nothing happened. Opening one eye I saw that we were now running through a narrow passage with walls of snow and ice on both sides. Torikibo looked back at my astonished expression and laughed. “It gets people every time” she said with a smug smile. “We use mirrors to hide the entrance with an illusion.” “You’re a genius.” Her boisterous laugh was even stronger this time and I joined her. I really liked this woman.

     The passageway began to widen and finally, in the distance I could see what could only be described as a small castle nestled into an almost sheer cliff of stone or ice, or perhaps both. The structure itself was highly unusual, as part of it jutted out of the cliff supported by massive trees below. These trees supported multiple structures made of a mixture of light and dark woods, that connected to the mostly stone castle. It was surely the coolest thing I’d ever seen and a stroke of architectural ingenuity. “I know” said Torikibo proudly, reading my blown away mind. “How…” I began. I didn’t need to finish. “It definitely wasn’t built alone. This place serves as a sanctuary to any female prey. Men are not allowed, and children must be blindfolded upon entry. All who come here must make a vow of silence, to never reveal this place to men, and those who do not need it.” I got the sense that that was my queue. “I swear upon pain of death that I will never reveal this place to anyone, unless they be a female who needs it, though you’ll have to explain what the qualifications are for that last bit.” She gestured for me to follow her saying only “you’ll see” as if she were about to show something wondrous yet again, and the only way to really understand was to see it with my own eyes.



© 2014 KA Sharp


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

126 Views
Added on March 25, 2014
Last Updated on March 25, 2014


Author

KA Sharp
KA Sharp

Brooklyn, NY



About
What can I say? I've got people and worlds and stories floating around in my head, constantly inspiring me and helping me through life. Now, I present them to you. May they conjure up greatness for .. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by KA Sharp


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by KA Sharp