An Open Letter To My Big Sister

An Open Letter To My Big Sister

A Story by Kassie Donaldson

Dear Big Sister,
     
     I don't remember everything that happened when we were kids. I do know that the stories we tell bring back old times, pleasant or not. Although our stories vary in truthfulness, I have realized that it's okay to have two sides because two stories are better than one. 
     I felt overshadowed by you at times and I want to apologize for all the  times that I called you names other than sister. Even though we fought all the time, that never stopped me from looking up to you. In all honesty, I just wanted to be like you.
     Somewhere along the lines of trying to get you in trouble and calling you names, I realized that you were the one person I could always count on. The thing is, you're the best sister that someone could grow up with. 
     I'm not sure if I would completely understand the world (or Algebra) without your help. And who knows how long I would have worn polka dots and stripes in public. Because of you, I'm not known for outrageous fashion statements. 
     I want you to know that I've been watching you and learning from you throughout the years. When it became "my turn" to follow in your footsteps I wasn't sure I could amount to your talents.
     You always opened your heart to me. I stole your clothes without your permission and you still loved me just the same. You showed me continuous mercy and compassion. While you wanted me to learn from your mistakes, you still let me make my own. But you never judged me for those mistakes.
     The year you left home to go off to college was a hard year for me. For the first time, we were in different cities, living different lives. But still, you made sure that I knew you were one call away. You always made yourself available when I needed you. When I was at my weakest you always managed to make things better. You were my hugs and my comfort.
     Today we don't fight nearly as much as we used to. And now our talks tend to be about our futures. I may not know what my next step is, but one thing I do know is that you'll always be there for me.
     I know I've never told you this before. But because of you, I'm where I am. You've been my rock. And for that, I owe you so much.           

Love,
Your Forever Little Sister

© 2016 Kassie Donaldson


Author's Note

Kassie Donaldson
“Sisters, as you know, also have a unique relationship. This is the person who has known you your entire life, who should love you and stand by you no matter what, and yet it's your sister who knows exactly where to drive the knife to hurt you the most.”
-Lisa See

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

142 Views
Added on May 13, 2016
Last Updated on May 13, 2016