Chapter 2

Chapter 2

A Chapter by kaylahardy120

After dozing off for a few minutes, I woke up to the sounds of my mom’s voice and she sounded very distressed.

 

“She seems fine, but who knows what’s going to happen. She’s going to be moving back home with Al and me for the time being while she gets some speech therapy,” she explained and I opened my eyes to see her standing, looking out the window. Her hair was up in a ragged updo and I could see the bags under her eyes.

 

“I know, Ma,” she whispered, putting her head in her hands. So she was talking to my grandma about all the problems I was causing…

 

“We’ll figure it out, okay? I’m sure she’d love to see you, by the way,” my mom finished, clearing her throat; a technique she had to keep herself from crying. I took a deep breath and stretched as she turned around and she fussed with her hair before shooting me a smile.

 

“Cara’s awake now, I’ll talk to you later. Love you,” she said softly, hanging up and walking over to my bed, pulling her cardigan tighter around her.

 

“How are you feeling?” she asked, and I instinctively opened my mouth, but clamped it shut and gave her a lousy thumbs up. Pain flickered across her face as she kissed my forehead and hugged my shoulders gently.

 

“Well, I have some good news?” she spoke with a questionable tone and she took a deep breath, tucking some of my hair behind my ear.

 

“The doctor’s checked your vitals and they said if you’re still stable by tonight, you’ll be able to come home tomorrow morning,” she smiled and I returned the smile, but inside I was hurting. I loved being at home, don’t get me wrong, but I was supposed to be moving across the country and starting my life, not moving back in with my parents.

 

“I promise dad and I will try to not baby you, but it will be nice to have one of my baby’s back home with me- even if you don’t really want to be home with me,” she smirked and I sighed, pulling her into a hug. I signed out “I heart you” to her and her eyes began to well up with tears.

 

“I love you too,” she choked out and I saw my dad come in with a wide smile.

 

“Did you hear the good news, Cara?” he asked, flopping on my bed and earning him a disapproving look from my mom. He waved it off and grinned at me. I nodded and he took a deep breath.

 

“That means a 10 o’clock curfew and no boys and-”

 

“Alan!” my mom exclaimed, slapping his arm and he frowned at her.

 

“Under my roof, my rules!” he bellowed, chuckling as she slapped him again.

 

“I’m only kidding,” my dad spoke, squeezing my hand and I rolled my eyes playfully. As if I didn’t know he was joking around, and it wasn’t like I’d be having boys over or really going out anywhere as it was. I wasn’t much use to anybody being silent and not being able to read a menu, etc…

 

“Hey, maybe we can ask these doctors if you can slip out for a while and get something to eat, or at least some fresh air!” my dad exclaimed, jumping up, but I pulled on his hand and showed him the IV in the top of my hand. He looked disappointed and sat back down on the bed. I gave him a sympathetic smile and I stretched once more. I yawned and snuggled down in the bed with a smile.

 

“It’s getting late. Do you two want to watch a movie or something?” my mom asked and I shrugged and so did my dad. My mom sighed in annoyance, scrolling through to find us a movie.

 

****The next morning****

 

I was rudely awoke the following morning to people touching and poking at me. I peeled my eyes open and saw the light pouring into the dingy room, along with nurses surrounding me.

 

“Good morning, Cara,” my doctor smiled with an apologetic look.

 

“Sorry for the awakening. We’re just getting a few vitals to make sure you’re all good to go home today,” he explained and I nodded, yawning and noticing my parents weren’t in the room with me. My doctor noticed and after jotting some notes down on his clipboard he acknowledged their absence.

 

“They went to go get some breakfast,” he answered before pulling out a tongue depressor and pulling a flashlight out of his lab coat.

 

“Open and make your best attempt at saying ‘ahh’” he demanded and I did as he said, not making so much as a squeak as I tried to utilize my vocal cords. He pulled the popsicle stick tool from my mouth and smiled.

 

“Everything looks good. I know you’re scared, but everything will be back to normal in no time,” he spoke with sincerity and I hoped he was right because the silence was killing me.

 

“I think that once your family gets back, we’ll be ready to discharge you,” he grinned and I smiled with relief and sat up in the bed. I began pulling my hair into a ponytail as my doctor and his nurses exited the room. I chewed on my finger as I climbed out of the bed and admiring the light blue nightgown I was in. I made my way into the bathroom and I stared at my reflection in the mirror and swallowed hard. I looked...rough. My skin was dry and pale, there were dark bags under my eyes, my makeup from the day before was barely visible besides the clumpy mascara on my eyelashes, and my lips were incredibly chapped. I splashed some water on my face before going to the bathroom and using the cheap as dirt toothbrush my mom had bought for me from the giftshop. I walked out of the bathroom and saw my mom and dad grinning widely. I smiled as they crushed me into the hug before my mom gave me a change of clothes. I took a deep breath, going back into the bathroom and changing as quick as possible. I came out and my dad handed me a bag from McDonald’s.

 

“Don’t want to start off your morning eating this crappy hospital food,” my dad snickered and I nodded with a laugh.

 

“We already talked with your doctor and he said you’re all good to go and we’ll get the bills and everything in the mail,” my mom blabbed, hurrying me out of the room and out to the car. The warm air felt nice on my skin and I took a deep breath as we walked to the car. Little did I know that after leaving that hospital that day, my life was going to change drastically.



© 2017 kaylahardy120


Author's Note

kaylahardy120
I had a different chapter for this, but I've been thinking about this story a lot and I'm refiguring it, so all your feedback and criticism and greatly appreciated :D

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

120 Views
Added on May 29, 2017
Last Updated on May 29, 2017
Tags: aphasia, love, romance, drama, silence


Author

kaylahardy120
kaylahardy120

MI



About
I've been writing since I was about 5 and loved it ever since. I write fantasy, romance, horror, and fan fiction. I'm basically a college student just struggling through life and writing in my spa.. more..

Writing
Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by kaylahardy120


Chapter 3 Chapter 3

A Chapter by kaylahardy120