The ethnic butterfly

The ethnic butterfly

A Story by Kena Dawn Augustine
"

My story inspired by Winter McPherson...an opposite look at self-acceptance...

"

 

FutureMe.jpg hawaii pic image by babychicki13

        I was born in Honolulu, Hawaii. My mother chose to name me, Kena, which means “Hawaiian Princess” in Hawaiian. My mother is Japanese-American and my father is Caucasian, so I had a mixture that was common to Hawaii residents. My mother has told me so many stories about my childhood, that I can almost see that chubby, peaches and cream skin, almond-shaped eyes, blonde hair creature I was in front of me.

      “Unique” was the best way to describe me. While other babies at six months were struggling to crawl, I was up walking around. And to top it all off, I was singing the tune from “Sesame Street” as if I was trying out for a new episode of ‘Baby Idol’! I remember days in Hawaii were spent playing games and tag with other Polynesian friends. One time there was a hurricane, and my Polynesian friends and I got naked and jumped and splashed in mud puddles. I had thrown my church dress to the ground, and boy did I get a spanking!

      I even adopted my own language. I began to speak “Pidgin.” Pidgin is a way many Hawaiian natives speak. For example, they might say, “Can I go to the store, yeah? May I play with my friends, yeah?” So I would always say the word, yeah, after every sentence. Not only did I adopt the language, but my hair was sun-kissed blonde from the tropical sunshine. When I was a baby, a group of Japanese tourists came to take my picture, because they had never seen a blonde, light-skinned baby with Asian eyes. My mom jokes that she was abducted by an Alien, and had me. Hence, my uniqueness is from another planet, which always makes me erupt in laughter.

      I lived in Hawaii until I was three years old, and then we moved to California for three more years. I was popular and ‘fit in’ while living in both Hawaii and California. It was not until I moved to Washington state in first grade, that I began to feel insecure. My best friend’s name was Nancy, and she was your All-American girl, with blonde hair and blue eyes, rosy pink cheeks, and cute as a button. She was more popular than I, due to her looks. The boys delighted in pushing her on the swings, while no one pushed me at all, except one boy, who like the weakest player picked on a team, he was last, and not happy about  it.

      I lived in a very rural part of Eastern Washington, so there were a lot of Mexicans. The Mexican boys use to tease me, and slant their eyes at me, making fun of the way I looked. The ironic part is, they were teased as well, and these are the same boys, now grown up, who look me over a couple times, and hoot, while I am walking by.

     While I rode on the bus, I would see how others would treat Nancy, and I wished I could be blonde and blue-eyed and just like everyone else. My mom had almost named me ‘Stephanie’ and I wished she had. When I played with Barbie dolls I always got the blonde ones, and named them ‘Ashley’ or ‘Kim.’ They would live in their All-American Barbie dream house and all their friends would be white. Not that I wasn’t an American, but I felt like a melting pot of strangeness.

      We moved to the Seattle area when I was nine years old, and people there were more liberal and open, and I grew more into my skin, not feeling like such an outsider. One of my Japanese teachers always made me feel good about my heritage, and one African-American boy in class would always say, “Hey Paula!” talking about Paula Abdul, who was my favorite singer at the time. People said I looked like her because of her hair color and ethnic looks, and I did a lipsync contest to “Straight up” in spandex and neon socks. I was still different, but realized it helped me stand out.

      I moved a lot growing up, and in middle school I attended a very racially diverse school in Tukwila. Half of the school was African-American, and there were many Asians as well. In fact, if you were ‘white’ you were picked on. One time in class this black kid was pointing out all the white kids in the class, and he skimmed over me, and I almost felt ‘safe.’ That was the first time I felt proud of who I was.

       I liked the school, but unfortunately, had to move in the seventh grade, because my mom moved in with a man, my step-dad, who lived in Issaquah, which was a middle-upper class, all-Caucasian neighborhood. It was like a culture-shock. Where are the Blacks? The Asians? The Hispanics? The first day of school a girl had the audacity to come up to me and ask me;

       What are you?” as if she had never seen a person of any ethnic origin but the white race.

       “A homosapian, what are you?” I replied, which left her in utter confusion. But I was laughing inside. I didn’t have a lot of friends for a while, and I remember eating alone at lunch.

       Eventually, I made friends, and again, I started to feel more secure with who I was, and didn’t really get teased, like I was in third-grade. But it took the rest of that year to feel comfortable in a cookie-cutter school.

       However, many evenings, outside of school, were filled with drawing models in fashion magazines, or other beautiful white woman, with long flowing hair, big eyes, and thin bodies. I think, deep down, I wanted to look that way, and that’s why I had stacks of books filled with what lie deep inside of me. Hoping I could take the pencil, as I could to the paper, and create a new me.

        Luckily, most of my life, after elementary and middle school, I did fit in, and my family always instilled in my head that I was a pretty girl, and I was unique, and that was a good thing.

        To this day when I tell anyone my name they say, “Oh, that’s different, that’s pretty, cute…” Usually people guess I am Hawaiian, or Korean, or Japanese, and I proudly say, “Half Japanese, half white.” I don’t think I look like anyone else, and I certainly do not want to.

        No doubt I still look at a tall, blonde, blue-eyed All-American girl in awe, but not in envy. American is a melting pot of different races and ethnic backgrounds, which I am proud to be a part of.

         I always knew I was different.

         But instead of use it as my shield, I now embrace my uniqueness. There is no one else I would rather be…but me.

          Kena. The chubby, blonde-hair, pale baby who sang and walked ahead of every other baby, who grew up to own her uniqueness, and sing her own song. Her song of self-acceptance.

 

© 2009 Kena Dawn Augustine


Author's Note

Kena Dawn Augustine
I tried to make it as short as i could, cutting off any rambling. lol cause i do like to talk about myself. anyway, i was inspired by winter mcpherson's story "White like me" and it's funny, cause she always wanted to be like the Hawaiian's, while i wanted to be blonde-hair and blue eyed and tall. funny. hope you guys enjoy it. came from my heart.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Oh goody! I'm the first one to review it! Well, thank you for revealing the struggle of being different. You went from accepted to not accepted and vice versa. Interesting to read about. You are one of those like Mariah Carey - she always says, "I'm a mix."

I loved reading about speaking pigeon and singing at such a young age (I can relate) and yearning to look different.

I loved how you ended it - "who grew up to own her uniqueness, and sing her own song. Her song of self-acceptance."

And what a beautiful song that is!




Posted 15 Years Ago


5 of 5 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

That dichotomy of blending in and standing out fights a battle in all of us. I'm glad you had supportive parents to help you resolve the fight in an emotionally healthy way. Even though I was a white kid going to mostly all white schools, my family moved around a lot. New is different, Different is strange and strange means you eat lunch alone and are picked last. I could identify with some of what you faced. We raised are sons to embrace difference. One is engaged to a newly nationalized Mexican/ American woman the other to a Catholic Israeli Palestinian,(I know the non-sequetors are tough to wrap your head around). They all live in Hawaii.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wow! Kena, this is so wonderful and so beautiful i shall say.
Wonderful story you have penned.

Posted 14 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Pj
Stunning...

I can relate to this very much- I was adopted from South Korea and suddenly was thrust into a totally caucasian Australia lol I used to try and avoid being different, but I embrace it now, just like you :)

Thank you for sharing- really lovely Xx



Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

This was a beautiful introduction. :) I feel like I really got to know you.

As much as I hate to admit knowing this, it's actually spelled "pidgin". If that was the extent of the pidgin that you spoke while you lived in Hawaii then as a child you were quite intelligent. :)

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Wow Im so happy to know more about you! I'm going to keep all of
this in mind when reading your work. I like knowing who the author is.
And wow I know how you felt, race is something that divides us all and no matter
how many times people say "The Racial War Is Over" I shake my head because it
never ends. I love all races, people from all origins, not only because everyone is
a bit of everything but because we all were made by the same hands. I love this and
I'm happy you shared your heart with us. great bio!!

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Singing a tune at 6 months? Were you a prodigy? I think even Mozart and Beethoven took longer to accumulate the sense for music. Wow! Go ahead on then girl!

This was an open door towards your life. It's nice that you were able to find that "sanctuary" within yourself where you found comfort. You've been given many blessings other's are never fortunate enough to receive.

Love!

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Self-acceptance truly is key!
And that has surely been brought forward in this piece.
Beautifully written.
I like!
:) this was really great Kena! Once again! lol.
Thanx for sharing. God bless you and yours.

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Awwweee, girl, this is really interesting! It's like reading a page out of your diary. What a wonderful way to express some of your thoughts. I think most women can relate on some level to what you are saying. I know I can, for sure. We all want to look like those darn models in the magazine. Well, I think you are beautiful just as you are, and I am so glad you came to a place of self-acceptance. Thank you so much for sharing! It brought a smile to my face.

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

this is the sentence for me as it sums up your country in many ways, for millions ... American is a melting pot of different races and ethnic backgrounds, which I am proud to be a part of.

enjoyed the recollection and the progress from the early idealic years, through the difficult teasing moments to self-confidence.


Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

very nicely done.... I liked this alot and thought this was well written.... i'm impressed and cool to know more about you...

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

639 Views
18 Reviews
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on March 9, 2009
Last Updated on March 29, 2009

Author

Kena Dawn Augustine
Kena Dawn Augustine

Seattle, WA



About
Writing is my catharsis, my way to bridle my emotions. I am an intense person and being an artist, I see life through a different set of lenses, and many can not comprehend my view on life. Kena me.. more..

Writing