Shane Cantu

Shane Cantu

A Story by kirsten
"

Just something that needed to be said

"
Shane Cantu… I don’t know you. Maybe the more appropriate term is that I didn’t know you. But I know that you were special. I know this because every flag I have passed in the past 3 days is only raised half way. I know this because of the sadness I feel from the people who did know you, and the shivers I get when I see your picture on a screen as I pass it. I’m sad, almost heartbroken because of your death. Some will say that your death was so infamous because you died while protecting our country… and I didn’t know you, but I know that that’s a down grade. That you will be remembered, and forever loved because of the person that you were. There is a candle light service going on for you right now, in the football field that you used to play in every Friday night. I bet it’s beautiful, I wish I was there. I don’t know if it would be comforting, or sad, it’s probably both. The hundreds of candles lit will be a reminder of how many people loved you. People will be there that didn’t even know who you were, people like me who wished they knew you, but never got the chance. I saw you one time, in Applebee’s, you were saying good bye to your family because you were getting ready to leave, to serve our country. You died from a bomb… a stupid bomb that happened to hit your base. People will say that you died serving our country, and technically you did. But I think the saddest thing of your death is that it seems so pointless… you were just a young man... standing in the wrong place at the wrong time, you weren’t fighting. You just happened to be where that bomb hit. And that’s the tragedy in this. I didn’t know you, Shane Cantu, but I wish I did.

© 2012 kirsten


Author's Note

kirsten
Please pray for Shane's family and keep him in your thoughts.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe

Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Stats

440 Views
Added on September 1, 2012
Last Updated on September 1, 2012
Tags: Shane Cantu, sad, soldier, death, died, war, love

Author

kirsten
kirsten

Perry, MI



About
Hello, I'm Kirsten and I am 17 years old. When i write it's to let my feelings out, because writing is really the only way I know how to do so. So my stories and poems and journals are basically a map.. more..

Writing
I felt it all I felt it all

A Story by kirsten