My Writers Cafe.

My Writers Cafe.

A Story by Thomas Fitzgerald
"

I've been asked quite a few times today what my writerscafe.org is, so heres my response.

"

There are has been an ever escalating argument between writers on the site for the past few days now - I'm not one to name names however if you are an avid reader you'll know. A lot of my readers contacted me asking my advice on how to process this information and if it was worth staying on this site.

When I joined writerscafe a million years ago, I remember the excitement - giving my work to the world, for them to read and comment on, give me advice on. The most terrifying thing though is that this site is packed with other amazing writers that can cut you like a knife with their words. Don't get me wrong, I neither agree with this practice nor dis-agree, hell, I know quite well that some of work deserved to end up in a bin and not with my name beside it on a site such as this.

My point is though that with this tornado of opinions and positions not all of us will agree to everything or with everyone. That’s life as we know it, and no-one can change that, but we can be more subjective in how we approach each other.

Be respectful, use civilised language when addressing each other - and do not start a campaign of hatred against each other, it isn't productive and isn't good for you. If you’re anything like me and try to get along with all - then it must be a heavy burden on the heart to see some of your favourite writers at each other’s throats. I am mature enough to know that some people will just never get a long - and that’s fine.

When it comes to the point when the writers on here are getting so abusive that it borders on the outrageous, or when we are not thick skinned enough to take such abuse, the writerscafe have wonderful facilities of blocking and flagging - use them if you must, but do not go to war with each other - I beg of you.

What is writerscafe for me - a haven for all writers, readers and friends - let’s keep it that way shall we?

© 2013 Thomas Fitzgerald


Author's Note

Thomas Fitzgerald
This is not preaching to anyone, just my take on the situation.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Thomas, thankfully I was off a couple of days and missed it..I find if you can't agree with ones writing..block them..do not run them down..I love this site and the people on it and have made some long time friends..so I like Thomas...say please try to be kind to each other..Kathie

Posted 11 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Thomas Fitzgerald

11 Years Ago

Thanks



Reviews

Well said Thomas....I couldn't agree with you more...
Hopefully, however, constructive critiques or comments are not considered people or poetry bashing...if so, guilty as charged. Sometimes they may come across as arrogant or presumptuous...but we are all here to help each other grow and offer feedback, both positive and not so positive. I'm very conscious and thoughtful about how I phrase my critiques but sometimes I feel they may be taken as negative and hurtful. They are NEVER meant to cause discomfort but rather, quite the opposite. If you really want to feel worthless and humble, wait til you're edited for publication. Holy....Moly. But thank heaven for the editors...they do make you better.
I'm a little naive I guess or have been away from the site for a while, but I haven't really read or noticed any nastiness...though I know some folks who have. Let's be nice to each other guys..and treat each other with kindness and respect.
allen

Posted 11 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

TLK

11 Years Ago

Your approach to writing reviews is excellent and makes me want to check out your writing.
Allen Smuckler

11 Years Ago

feel free Thomas...anytime
and thanks
allen
thank you for this Thomas..........I feel shame for calling someone an asshat. I was out of line. It disturbs me greatly when I see someone expending great energy to hurt others when that energy could be used productively to mentor the young people here I wish I knew I could write when I was teen. It would have saved me much heartache. Love you xoox

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mark

11 Years Ago

lol... asshat is such a funny image...
Heartfelt and to the point! Thank you Thomas.

We should be thankful that we are all different, with different opinions. Otherwise we may as well just be like robots, all just the same with no individuality.

You also mentioned about respect, I totally agree. After all who is correct? the person who says a glass is half full, or the one who disagrees saying the glass is half empty! Yes you can disagree, but respect that they have an opinion, doing that helps to make you unique.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Well said Thomas. Thank you for giving this issue a voice and a direction. Peace, my friend.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Well said. I am relatively new to the Cafe and fortunately haven't experienced what you describe, but I agree with you 100%. It is at great risk to one's self-esteem to have the courage to post their work for all to critique. We should keep any criticism constructive, in the spirit of this group of artists, to help one another become better writers and whenever possible, support each other's work. It's not all good, but some of it is brilliant. I am humbled by the talent I've seen here. And for the rest....at least they pour their souls into what they write.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

well said, Thomas, bravo! you are indeed a staple and a gifted part of this wonderful website, and i am , for one, very proud to call you "friend" !!!!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is a great philosophical outlook on the WC Thomas. I'm happy you're my friend. Maybe some of your maturity and intelligence will seep through the computer and have a positive effect on me cause god knows I could use it.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

So true. I'm new as a writer in writers cafe. this actually prepares me for what can happen.


Posted 11 Years Ago


I tried to set the example. Nothing good to say. Send a e-mail. I have been helped many times in private. Writing and reading is the option of the reader or writer. Many types of poetry. No-one had lived the same life. I tried to calm down the argument I fall into. I will stay here at the Writer's cafe and enjoy the word of the good Poet's and writer's like you and so many other. Always good to hear your thoughts. Have fun and be safe my friend.
Coyote

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I'm all for the days when the competition was to find who could write the most eloquent response be it pro or con So eloquent in fact even when you didn't agree you tipped your hat in deference to the effort

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1659 Views
47 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on April 15, 2013
Last Updated on April 15, 2013
Tags: Freedom of Speech, Respect for others, Difference of Opinion.

Author

Thomas Fitzgerald
Thomas Fitzgerald

Wexford, Leinster, Ireland



About
To all who know by now - I love you. For those that don't, I review a lot of work on here, and I expect the same in return, friend me but make sure to have conviction! I'm a horror writer mostly bu.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


night song night song

A Poem by quinfinn