Chapter Two: Another Empty Bed

Chapter Two: Another Empty Bed

A Chapter by Olive Belikov

Walking up the steps of the foster house, I know we’re in trouble. June doesn’t like it when kids come in past curfew and Rosalie and I are hours past that point. Though maybe she already went to sleep, unaware of our absence. That, I find, is all I can hope for as Rosa turns the knob, stepping into the front room.
I quietly come in behind her, glancing around the desolate area, before nodding; signalling that it’s safe to make a dash for the stairs. Soundlessly, we sprint up the old wooden steps two at a time, deliberately clearing all the known creaks and cracks. Sliding down the hallway we see no light coming from under June’s bedroom door and do our best not to make a sound as we tip toe past it. I can see our room just a little farther down and head towards it, thanking all the stars for making us so lucky at this particular moment.
But then, of course, our luck implodes.
My hand on the door handle, about to give it a twist, a voice come out of the darkness.
“You’re late,” Well isn’t that obvious.
“We didn’t mean to be,” I glance at Rosalie who stands stiffly beside me. One thing she does not do well with is pressure. “We were out for a walk and Mr.Snit need some help closing up his shop,” Only a partial lie. “so we thought it’d be nice to help him.” June squints her eyes in a questioning look, clearly not believing a word coming out of my mouth. This isn’t the first time we’ve been late and not the first time I’ve ever used that excuse. And if June ever thought to ask Mr.Snit if this was true, we’d be absolutely screwed. New material is definitely in order.
“That doesn’t make up for the fact that I have told you time and again not to be late. I have given you enough leeway as it is, letting you into my house, giving you food. The other girls even insist that I not kick you out on the street.” My heart jumps, wondering if June would really do that to us, and I realize I wouldn’t put it past her.
“Ms.Orwig please, we won’t-”
“No, you won’t be late again or I might be forced to kick you out, no matter what state your mother is in.” This makes me bite my tongue and I hear Rosa catch her breath beside me.
“Ms.Orwig, we didn’t mean to be late and I promise you it won’t happen again.” Rosa speaks softly, knowing she sits more on June’s nice side.
“Well,” She casts another fiery look of contempt upon us. “You two will be doing the laundry and washing dishes for the next two weeks. That is if you can keep yourselves here that long.” I give a sigh of relief, Rosa doing the same.
“Now go to bed!” June snaps, flicking her hands towards the door, and we don’t argue. We scatter like mice through the door. Closing it behind us I lean back against the old, cracked wood; looking up at the ceiling and listening to June’s footsteps going down the hall, closing the door to her own room.Once I hear the faint sound of her lock clicking into place, I push off the wall, taking in the room around me.
“We tried to cover for you guys,” Alice, a sweet little redhead says, pulling on the hem of Rosa’s shirt. “But June made us go to bed.”
“It’s okay honey,” After shucking off her coat, leaving it to lie on the cold tiled floor, Rosa picks up Alice, placing her on the crook of her hip. “You don’t have to do that for us.” Rosa gives her a kiss on the forehead and lays Alice in her bed, speaking softly to her as she twirls Rosa’s long, wavy, black hair through her little fingers. Our mothers hair.
“Where were you two this time?” I turn to the bed closest to me where Raz sits, writing in her familiar green book. She’s only a short couple years younger than I, one of the oldest in the house.
“Central Park, as always.” Raz watches me as I cross the room, plunking down on my bed to untie my worn out shoes. 
“The social worker was here this evening, Mrs.Orwig was mad that you guys weren't in the house.” She runs her pencil through the bright blue streaks covering her hair.
“We don’t need to be here for the social worker, our mother's in the hospital, not...” I gaze at the ground for a moment, my voice caught in my throat.
“Dead? Yeah, I know, but Orwig wouldn’t stop going on about making this seem like a happy, structured house or some crap like that.” I sneer at the thought of June saying this, knowing that it’s exactly what she would say.
“And a family was here.” This makes my head snap up to look at Raz, the tone in her voice hinting at the truth.
“Who?” My heart flutters.
“Zoey,” Raz gazes sadly back down to her notebook, pencil hovering above the page, frozen. “They seemed nice though.”
I say nothing, knowing there’s not a thing in the world I could say that would help how she feels. Zoey had been Raz’s greater friend, always running around, making secret pacts with each other. I resist the urge to go over and hug her; Zoey was the only one Raz ever touched.
“I’m sorry,” I whisper, just loud enough for her to hear.
“Yeah well, it happens.” She goes back to writing and I decide to let her be.
Looking over I see Rosalie stand up from Alice’s small bed, Alice herself finally asleep, her small body moving with each breath. As Rosa walks over to the bed next to mine I lay back, fully clothed, and prop my arm on my forehead, blocking the little light from my eyes.
“Zoey is gone.” I say as Rosa slips into her pajamas.
“I know, Alice said,” Once dressed she too slumps back onto her bed. “Which leaves us and Raz.” With her words, exhaustion sweeps over me. There are nine girls in the house now, with Zoey gone. None older than nine besides us and Raz; which means we do most of the work. The others are learning, of course, but there’s only so much a seven year old can do.


© 2012 Olive Belikov


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

136 Views
Added on July 2, 2012
Last Updated on July 2, 2012


Author

Olive Belikov
Olive Belikov

MT



About
I am a daughter, a sister, a grand-daughter, a niece, a cousin, a friend. I am a partner, a student, a young girl, and a grown woman. I am confident and scared, terrified and excited. I am loving and .. more..

Writing