Chapter 16

Chapter 16

A Chapter by LauraH

The wheels of my suitcase squealed and screeched as I pulled it along the never ending walkway in the Airport Terminal. It was around 6am and already, Barcelona airport was bustling with life. People everywhere, pushing past urgently to catch flights or sitting down for a quick coffee. Mum lead the way, her head held high and handbag fastened on her arm, strapped a few times in case of gypsy attack. She kept her eyes focused on the horizon, ignoring any outstanding bargains at the duty free. V on the other hand, was popping into every shop, spending her last euros before we went back home. Zack was trailing behind with both his and V’s suitcases (she paid him) and the extra bag filled with souvenirs and new clothes. I felt sorry for him, but at least he was getting paid. It may sound selfish but I also felt sorry for myself.

After I was released from hospital, a taxi zipped me and mum back to the hotel to meet up with Zack and V. To my surprise, they were waiting out front with suitcases already packed, both looking as equally peeved. I suddenly knew what was going to happen.


And there we were, at the airport making our way to Gate 13. I didn’t know whether to feel relieved or distraught. That had been the best holiday (and the only holiday) since dad had disappeared, and it was going to end because of my stupid mistake. Why hadn’t I listened to my mum for once? Never talk to strangers… Only I did, and look how that turned out.


I had my first real kiss, my first real boyfriend, only he wasn’t real. None of it was real. It was all a lie and a sham and I had fallen for it. Every time that I thought of Harry, and the way that he would look at me, and the way that he would kiss me, my heart would hurt. You know when you eat too much and too quickly and then you get chest pains? Yeah it was 10x worse. I failed in life, I failed miserably.


Flight IA302 to Sydney is now boarding. Please make your way to gate 13, boarding will last half an hour before final call.”


The announcement woke us all up and mum ushered us quickly to the Gate which could be seen up ahead. Hundreds of people had already lined up to board, slowly progressing towards passport control.


We pulled up at the back of the line; behind a pair of backpackers who were both engrossed in their Lonely Planet books on ‘Australia’. I peered over one of their shoulders to see what they were reading up on but of course, it was in Spanish.

Whilst my family sorted themselves out, I wondered over to the giant window which was facing the tarmac. I knelt on one of the chairs which was facing the opposite direction and placed my hands on the glass. A plane had just landed and was coming into the gate. It was absolutely huge but I could still make out the pilots in the cockpit. People in small karts buzzed around it and one man was directly in front of it, waving his neon sticks everywhere. It was actually kinda funny.


British Airways Flight 479 will be boarding in 10 minutes at Gate 12. Please make sure you are there on time.


British… The plane was British. The announcement continued in Spanish and then it switched off.


Everything that reminded me of Harry just made me feel like s**t. Whether someone with big feet happened to walk past, green eyes or just a shrub in a pot, which were inconveniently scattered all across the airport. What had it been, 12 hours since I saw Harry last? 12 hours of torture. I had to stop thinking like that.


“Matilda!” I whipped around to the sound of mums voice. She beckoned me to come over, then handed the passports to V and Zack. I trotted over, not really in the mood to fly, it would just make my mood worse. Mum thrusted the passport in my face, holding it there until I snatched it off her. Her mood had changed dramatically since the hospital. From shock, to pitty, to shock, to anger. Right then, it was anger. I couldn’t believe that one day I would also go through menopause… I shuddered at the thought.


I opened my passport up and quickly shut it again. The photo was so hideous I couldn’t even… Unfortunately for me, the passport expired on the 7th of July 2013 so I had basically another whole year with my year 5, low ponytail pic. But it was not like I was going to go anywhere after this mess.


We progressed up the line in silence. I felt V glaring at me from behind, the awkwardness filled the air. Zack played on his Nintendo and Mum only looked straight ahead. I stood gawkily, uncomfortably moving forward every few seconds; I really did not know what else to do.


It must have been an hour but finally we were at passport control. V pushed in front of me, Zack trailing behind not daring to look at me so I ended up at the end of the line. Mum showed her passport and ticket to the flight attendant who ripped part of the ticket off and handed it back to mum who then began walking through the tunnel. V followed her after her passport was checked and then so did Zack.

I moved up to the desk and placed my ticket in my passport and pushed it across. The flight attendant opened it up before scanning it in the machine. The computer beeped and she raised her eyebrows before turning to me.


“Speak English, yes?” She asked before typing something into the computer.


“Umm… yeah?” My body started to heat up as it usually did when I got nervous. What happened now…


The printer began to beep as well and it began to print out something. She turned to me again. “You have message.” She took out the paper that was just printed it, folded it, and placed it in my passport before ripping part of my ticket off. I took the ticket and the passport and she smiled up at me, “Please enjoy your flight señorita.”


I walked down the tunnel which lead to the plane, taking out the piece of paper and unfolding it. My suitcase bumped up and down on the grippy section which made me almost drop everything. I regained myself and began to read the message with intrigue.


Tilly, I guess you want to forget about me. But please, you have to understand the circumstances.


 My hand clenched the paper and made a huge crease across it. I had an urge to burn it but I kept reading, moving to the side of the tunnel to let other people past.


Don’t throw this out now or you’ll never know who I am. I know I cant be there to tell you myself and I apologise but you didn’t really give me a chance to explain in the hospital. Firstly, I should’ve told you who I was from the very beginning. I was surprised that you didn’t know who I was because usually I cant go anywhere without people recognising my face. A lot of people act differently around me, they take advantage of me because I’m ‘famous’. They abuse me, not physically but in a way that still hurts.


Tears began to form in my eyes again. I wished that he was there to tell me himself, I just wanted to hold him.


I’m in a band, a boy band to be exact. We’re called One Direction. Our first album reached #1 in 15 countries including Australia. I never intended to lie to you, I just didn’t want the fact that I was famous to be changing our relationship and we were going so well. I ruined things, I ruined everything and I am so so so sorry Tilly.


An announcement went off again. Gate 13 is now closed. Iberian Airways flight 302 will be taking off shortly.


I began to read quicker, moving off the wall and walking down the ramp to the door of the plane.


One day, we’ll see each other again and I’ll make things right I promise. You are the first girl that I’ve ever dated that I actually feel so infatuated with, and I don’t care that you’re 15. Who cares about our age.


A male flight attendant was standing by the door of the plane, waiting for me to walk in so that he could close the door. I quickened my pace, still gripping onto the paper. I walked slowly into the plane, the gap between the tunnel and the plane let the breeze through which gave me the chills. I took one last look at the letter before the attendant slammed the door shut behind me.


I love you Matilda Garrot. Please don’t forget about me. And don’t forget about us.



© 2012 LauraH


Author's Note

LauraH
lol sorry this is the shortest chapter in history

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

151 Views
Added on December 30, 2012
Last Updated on December 30, 2012


Author

LauraH
LauraH

Sydney, NSW, Australia



About
♥♥Hi, I Laura and I love writing, I like netball and soccer, I HATE handwriting and writing is my best subject. I love YouTube and Gmail and i know I'm going to love this site too! I hav.. more..

Writing
Prologue. Prologue.

A Chapter by LauraH


Chapter 1. Chapter 1.

A Chapter by LauraH


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by LauraH