Run

Run

A Story by Dali Stroesser
"

A short story.

"
     I ran and ran. The trees vanished behind me in a whirlwind of leaves and I ran. I loved to run and today, I needed to let it out. Sitting all day in school didn't do me any good, and my body itched to feel the breeze. The colors around me melted into one big orange-brown smear. Then I heard footsteps along side me. I couldn't turn my head or slow down, in fear of tripping or tumbling over. Then I heard panting. No one else was running with me- it was some wild animal. I took a sharp turn and ran my fingers through the leaves that littered the soft ground as I tipped inward to maintain my balance. I could run fast, but this creature was matching my speed. I dared to look back for a second and-

~~ * ~~

     I woke up under the stars. My forehead stung and i brought my shaking hand up to feel it. Sticky blood clung to my fingertips and i shuddered. I looked down at my feet and sighed. I'd have to explain this pretty well to Mom and Dad if I wanted to go running out in the woods again. But I wouldn't mention the animal. I don't even know if it's harmful, so I wouldn't give them anything to worry about. I stood up and almost fell again- I was extremely dizzy. I leaned heavily against the tree I ran into and steadied myself.
     I thought back. I only saw a little bit of it, and it must have been four-legged because it was short- just past my elbows. I thought about it as I hugged my arms around myself to warm up. I blew on my hands and rubbed them together, then rubbed them up and down on my arms. I was getting goosebumps and my fingertips were beginning to freeze. An icy breeze whipped my hair in my face and I shivered. I had to get home fast before Mom and Dad started to look for me. So once again I ran. Soon enough, I could see the dining room light ahead of me. I slowed down and jogged to the door. I'd have to confront them now instead of sneaking into bed, or I'd be in HUGE trouble in the morning.
     "Mom?" I quietly called down the hall. But instead of Mom, Dad came out of their bedroom, his face all red and his eyebrows pinched together. But as soon as he saw my face, he softened up.
     "What happened to you? Is that blood? Here, lets go into the kitchen to get that washed up." He hurried down the hall towards me and we walked over to the kitchen sink. "I don't understand what you do out in the woods all the time, and I'm not sure that after this night you'll be going out there very often anymore."
     "But Dad- Let me explain first." I wasn't sure if I should still keep the animal a secret anymore. "I was running really fast and I thought I saw something, so I turned my head to look. Then I accidentally ran into a tree because I stopped looking and got knocked out for a while," I tried to explain while he gently scrubbed the drying blood off of my face. I wasn't sure he heard me over the faucet, since he left it on. He didn't say anything, he just kept scrubbing. I repeated myself louder and he stopped.
     "Oh. OK, so that means that you just shouldn't run so fast in the woods. You got out of this one," he chuckled. I loved how he calmed down so quickly.

~~ * ~~

     The next morning, I woke up to a bright, Saturday morning. I was still a little bit dizzy and stayed in bed until I couldn't lay still. I reached down to scratch my foot and threw the blankets off. Then I yawned and stretched, and locked my door so I could change into my clothes. I tugged on an almost-to-small sweater and drew the shades to welcome the morning sun.
     I sauntered into the kitchen and grabbed a cereal bowl from the cupboard. Mom walked in from the office. She opened the fridge and started to rearrange the food (again!). "Hi, Mom. I'm going to go outside after I'm done with my cereal. So... yeah." I grabbed a banana and a knife, then sliced it into my cereal.
     "Dad told me about last night. I don't want you running in the woods. you can walk or whatever, but don't run," she laughed. I just smiled and ate my cereal.

~~ * ~~

     I got out in the woods again, hoping and yet not hoping that I would see the animal again. I knew the saying, "curiosity killed the cat", but I had to find out. I picked out a good, stiff stick and carried it with me. I ran until I got to the same tree that knocked me out, and waited.
     I got tired of standing and climbed the maple tree nearby, leaving my stick on the ground. From there I had to look through the leaves, but that also meant that the animal would have to look through the leaves, too. Finally, I heard the fallen leaves rustle below and behind me. My back went rigid and I slowly turned my head to get a look without scaring it away. Then I heard it's steps. They were coordinated steps made by four big feet, and I hoped- prayed- that it wasn't tall enough to reach me.
     I got a glimpse of it over my shoulder. I saw it's tail, and that gave it away. I realized I was holding my breath, and let it all out in one long sigh. The movement stopped, and I slapped a hand over my mouth. Breathing softly through my open mouth, I stood up on the branch. I looked down and the wolf was right below me, staring up. My heart started to throb with excitement, and I could feel it in my thumbs as I clung to the branch above me. We stood there for a while, and I began to relax and let my thoughts drift away.
     I was beginning to wonder when it would leave. I didn't want to stay here all day. If I had to explain this to my parents, then they would start to think I was lying to get out of it. Nothing happened for a really long time. My feet were getting sore from standing on the branch and the sun was already at its highest- lunch time. Finally, though it made me feel uncomfortable in the quiet woods, I shouted. The wolf looked surprised and jumped a little bit, then stared for a second longer before it walked away, constantly looking over its shoulder to see if I was still there.
     I was still nervous about getting down with it around, so I waited until it was out of sight. Then I slowly and quietly climbed down and looked around. The wolf was nowhere. I shakily grabbed my stick and walked away. Normally I would run, but since the wolf ran faster as me, I didn't want to take my chances at exciting it if it saw me.
     I got to the point where I turned the night before and took off running. Holding the stick slowed me down, but I felt safer with it. I finally broke away from the woods and stumbled into the backyard. I thought I would go inside and watch a movie, safe at home.

~~ * ~~

     That night, I couldn't keep my mind off the wolf. Mom and Dad knew nothing about it. I felt colder laying on my back so I curled up on my side, burrowed deeper into the blankets and pulled my pillow in with me. I listened to the clock ticking to the wrong time above my head on the wall, and stared wide-eyed at the green numbers of the alarm clock on my desk across the room. I thought about my Jack London books, White Fang and The Call of the Wild. I didn't feel scared anymore, but more... curious. I wanted to know more about that wolf.

© 2010 Dali Stroesser


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

93 Views
Added on October 8, 2010
Last Updated on October 10, 2010

Author

Dali Stroesser
Dali Stroesser

USA. home of the brave, MN



About
I'm Pentecostal, Acts 2:38 (if you're curious, browse upci.org ). My favorite animal is horses and I love to draw. I'm good at math but I don't like it that much. *** I take no credit for my prof.. more..

Writing