Part I

Part I

A Chapter by lexgosomewhere
"

After Perry moves to a new school, he meets Selina, a studious individual with a hidden past. She gives him a tour of the school, but things don't go as planned.

"

“Oh? Is this the new guy? I can’t wait to show him around.” She whipped her hair back and gave me a kind smile.

Ms. Rowen was no less perky than Selina: “Sounds like a plan! Have a good day, you two.” Is she always so nice?Maybe it’s because I’m new here. That sure isn’t a first.

“Thanks,” I say, trying not to feel out of place, “I’ll see you later…” That’s definitely not what I meant to say.

“You know,” a small grin appeared out of the corner of her mouth, “standing around won’t get you anywhere. Come on!” She took hold of my hand and led me out of the room almost without thinking about it.

“Hey what do you--”

She let go of my hand once we were out in the hall, “Sorry about that. I was just so excited.” I tried to say something, but nothing came out. “Anyway, this is the main hall. You can get anywhere at anytime from right here.” She waved her hands in the air as if she was saying isn’t this great?

The hall itself was a step above the rest. The mural on the wall must’ve gone on forever. One part depicted a detailed mountain range with white snow caps at the peaks as the sun peeked out from behind. It read, “Always reach for the top,” above it, although it felt more like an afterthought. The floor was made of wood, which felt almost surreal yet, so fresh at the same time. “That’s also why it gets so crowded here between classes, so a lot of us just walk outside instead.”

I was too captivated with the halls to notice where the light was coming from, even if none of the lights were on. Even for fall, it was beautiful outside. The trees were all so warm and colorful, ranging from pines to maples. The walkways were, most likely, made out of stone. Although it was so simply done, it felt so inviting. The cool breeze felt like such a relief, coming from a place where it was always warm, humid, and mucky overall. It’s as if all my stress and angst had melted away. This was it.

“Maybe it’s just me, but a stroll out there helps me out sometimes.” She looked down as if she’d said something personal. “Do you like the outdoors?”

I didn’t realize she’d said anything. “Huh? Oh, um yeah, sometimes.”

She put on a reluctant smile, “Sorry. Sounded like a dumb question right?” Before I could reply she turned and started mumbling to herself. “I was just curious is all.”

Was there a right answer for this question? “My parents travel a lot, so really, I’ve lived all over.” I never knew whether or not that was a viable response, but yet I always said it.

“Oh. Well-traveled, you’re lucky.” she turned and smiled my way, and I couldn’t help but smile back. It was infectious in a way I’d never felt before. “I never get to go anywhere, but I think it would be kind of fun, right? Seeing new places with all new people. Sometimes that’s just what you need.”

“Maybe we should switch places then…” My smile faded as I walked towards the open windows. I leaned against the railings, holding my head in place with one hand and resting with the other.

I looked at her now ecstatic face, filled to the brim with joy about that idea. “Oh! You’ll have to tell me about it sometime. I would love that so--” she stopped and looked at me. It was as if time froze for a second, waiting for me to realize my mistake. “Hey, what’s wrong?”

“Nothing.” It was something.

She came to the railing as well, brushing her shoulder against mine. “I know that face. It’s the one you put on when you’ve been hurt. Even for someone I just met.” She read me like a book. Although, I’m like a children’s fairytale: easy to read. Before I could say anything, she continued, “I know we’re pretty much strangers, but I’m here to help you out. If you ever need anyone, for any reason at all, don’t be afraid to talk to me.”

I looked at her with an annoyed smile, “Well what would you say if I told you that all my life, I’ve never had a real friend?” I stood up and began to raise my voice. “What if I told you that I’ve never been able to call any place home? What if my life always felt like I was just luggage and nothing more…”

“I would say,” she was silent for a moment, “that’s pretty cruel,” she said in an uneasy tone. I could tell what she was thinking.

“Yeah, I’ve heard that before.” They all say the same thing. It looks like nothing changes no matter where I go. “I’m leaving, thanks for the tour.” I turned and left without saying anymore.

“Wait!” I heard her shout through the hall, “Hey...stop!” She grabbed me from behind as if she meant to hug me. “I don’t want to leave a bad impression on you, so please, talk to me.”

“I don’t have anything to say to you anymore, so just leave me alone.”

“You know I can’t do that.”

“What should I know? We just met,” I said in a bitter tone.

“Because. Well. Because I care too much to let you hate me.”

My mind clicked. I wondered what this feeling was, and I wasn’t about to let it go. I relaxed my shoulders and went back to the nearest railing. “Why do you care? About me, of all people.”

She let out a loud sigh, “I couldn’t tell you even if I tried.” Finding her place near me, she continued, “Maybe it’s because I like you to some extent. Maybe it’s because I’ve never met a person that acts like you. And well...maybe I’m just curious.” She had a this look on her face. Not quite disappointment or resentment, but also not the joyful and flamboyant Selina I knew ten minutes ago. It was human. “Look, I lied about what I said about not wanting to leave a bad impression. I don’t care if you hate me or whatever, but please. Let me know what’s going on under that hood of yours.”

Looks like sighing is contagious. “It’s just-- it’s been so hard doing this. Over and over again. I just want a place to call home. Somewhere where I’m not praised for just being here.”

“Look, I can’t say when or if that’ll ever happen for sure, but what I can say is that I’ll try my best to make it feel as real as possible. Because no one, and I mean no one, should ever feel alone.” She looked down as if she’d remembered what she was talking about, “And trust me, I know what that feels like, even if it’s not exactly what you’re going through.”

I looked up and saw her looking back at me. History repeats itself, or so I’ve been told.

“There’s that smile.”

I laughed, “Thank you.”

“Of course. What are friends for, right?”

I thought about it for a second, “Yeah, friends.” Maybe I should’ve said more. I gathered myself and started walking down Hall B, wherever that lead. “Hey, uh,” I said trailing off, “I still don’t know where I’m going.”

Selina giggled and looked my way. “And you still haven’t told me about your adventures.” She started picking up speed, almost running down the hall. “Come on now! Don’t fall behind!”

How could I resist?


© 2017 lexgosomewhere


Author's Note

lexgosomewhere
My apologies if the organization is messed up, I just copied it from Word.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

How could I resist... reviewing this piece of writing! Excited to see what's to come in the following parts to this story.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

168 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on May 10, 2017
Last Updated on May 10, 2017
Tags: school, romance, natural, teen, new school


Author

lexgosomewhere
lexgosomewhere

North Salem, NY



About
An aspiring writer sharing his pieces. more..

Writing
Freedom Freedom

A Story by lexgosomewhere