Chapter Fourteen

Chapter Fourteen

A Chapter by Lilian Christine Colby

Chapter Fourteen

Reuben

I couldn’t move, my body was numb all over, and I felt so weak. Almost lifeless. I should have just gone to my room. At the least, I should have stayed with James a little longer. What if….what if I never even went to see James? What if I went straight to Scott? What if I never even went to them, and stayed to talk with Dad? What if I never even blew up on him? What if I never even agreed to live with him? What if he never even came? Mom would still be alive, and I would have a job, and live on my own. There were just too many what ifs. Then, I heard footsteps, with a certain metallic sound that I would recognize anywhere. It was Red Skull, and I bet he was coming to see if I were dead yet. I could just barely open my eyes, and looked at the timer on the wall. Ten minutes, that’s all the time I had left. Then he laughed.

“Oh, how pathetic. You seem strong, until you have the life sucked out of you. Where is your father? That’s right, he doesn’t care about you, he is only using you for your powers. Why do you think he waited so long to see you?”

“That’s not true. You’re wrong, he isn’t using me! I’m his daughter, his blood relation!”

I began to feel stronger, physically and mentally. I stopped doubting my decisions, and my mind became clearer. I knew what he was doing; trying to provoke me to emanate more energy to shorten my life. The thing is, it was working, I knew it was, I just couldn’t stop myself. I stood up, anger radiating from me.

“My father is not using me. He is going to come, and he is going to save me, and you are going to prison.”

“Well, I don’t see your father anywhere. You have only nine minutes to live. Where is your hero, Reuben?”

He walked away, and my knees buckled, and I collapsed. I closed my eyes, and then something amazing happened. I could see Dad, and the team! I could also see them in the Avenjet. What worried me the most, was the looks on their faces. James’ face was grim, his eyes were red, and I could tell he was deeply upset. Everyone else’s faces were solemn, but Dad’s expression, I couldn’t explain. I’ve never seen him like this. I then heard Dad’s voice, but his lips weren’t moving. Was… was I inside his head?

“My baby’s dead, and Red Skull is going to be.”

No. No no no! They think I’m dead! That explains it! Wait, if I’m inside his mind, that means that he might be able to hear me. I tried as hard as I could, but backed out before I could.


© 2015 Lilian Christine Colby


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

94 Views
Added on June 22, 2015
Last Updated on June 22, 2015


Author

Lilian Christine Colby
Lilian Christine Colby

East Ryegate, VT



About
Young, adventurous author who continuously writes not so short stories. I'm also Volunteer Firefighter and an Emergency Medical Responder. more..

Writing