Barflies Chapter 12?

Barflies Chapter 12?

A Story by Donald Meikle

"It's been a while Sam. Are you coming? I know you're ready, more than ready.
You won't need a shot for courage. I'll be there with you, laughing. Forget about all those other tries. This is different. They were auditions where you were judged by teachers. This will be the real thing. The Boston Symphony With the usual crowd of experts, pseudo critics, and believe it or not an audience that is used to magnificent talent, and know what they like to hear. I know hon. I know you're scared. So here's what I want from you. While you're doing Mozart or Chopin or even Bach, I want to hear moon gone island as skat as background noise clear enough for me to sing it. Oh not right away babe but as soon as you can hear it and fit it in."
Sam was looking at him as if he was insane. How in hell had he pulled this off?
In five minutes she would be playing at a symphony concert. Actually playing before all those talented people and that massive crowd sitting there listening ready to pounce on her slightest mistake, and he wants Moon Gone Island at the same damned time. He's serious goddamit! How did he get her here? Who in Hell did he bribe or threaten? The flight had been terrifying, a private plane with a shower for crissake. Just another friend. How many friends did Don have?
He swept her into his arms, hugged and kissed her, then escorted her out to the piano stool. She sat down and felt it swivel. Her eyes suddenly laughed. A swivel stool no less. Gawd she loved this man.
Don stood in the wings through the whole performance. There was no hesitant warm up. That music really had belonged at Normandy Beach and from there it just got better. It ended with the same echo she'd fingered when first she'd heard him sing it. She sat there to a standing ovation, barefoot as always, as voices chanted encore encore. She stood and bowed then sat down spun around once then played and sang Moon Gone Island in its brief and poignant entirety, with tears streaming down her face.
Don sat behind the curtains while Sam led the orchestra on a magic carpet ride of Mozart madness, the conductor slid into her performance adding his own embellishments as his face beamed with the ecstasy of her single minded concentration. It is a delight when several musicians play at or above their best.
Tonight Sam had every one of them enjoying every note.
There was no way Sam would slip through these cracks. Fame had found her and the joy flowed through her in the music she lived for. He could feel Barb's cheek against his own, as ghost hands ruffled through his hair.
She came bounding backstage throwing herself into his arms, still shuddering with the joy of achievement. Then she stopped suddenly and looked deeply into his eyes.

© 2010 Donald Meikle


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

It is new to me that you write stories. Oh, how I like it! I thought a pity that it ends, can you write it longer? I loved the environment, how they met (ha! because I love classical music you knew I will like it).
I thought you wrote it with ease, and I just wished it was longer. pls more stories, write on!! great write.
(Hello Donald, I really appreciate your reading my mammuth text Cosmic Dancers, and your words upon it..thanks )

Posted 15 Years Ago


This is tunneled in on them and that is perfect in a sense, although I wonder if I was hungry for more about their surroundings: such a stark contrast from where they first met and what a journey there is to be told imbetween... Chapter 12 Donald? You are teasing us methinks... play on, haha...

Posted 15 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
J
Ahhh . . . I started over and read from the beginning. You added more! Your writing style is so easy going, peppered with quirky "Meikleisms" that make me smile. ;-) It's so good to have you writing stories again. This is a wonderful ride . . .

How come Ch 12?

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

167 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 20, 2008
Last Updated on June 28, 2010

Author

Donald Meikle
Donald Meikle

Halifax, MA



About
Liverpool born,USNavy vet. Enjoying first marriage. three daughters, (two bathrooms) one until they left. (a tree that loves me) Poet thru geneology) Scot Irish. Living in New England more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Barflies Barflies

A Story by Donald Meikle