How to change the way your meetings go

How to change the way your meetings go

A Story by lindadell
"

There are some surefire tehcniques that you can use in order to make your meetings more successful and effective. Find out what they are.

"

Meetings are a part of business that we just cannot do without. However, in many cases people have meetings that turn out to be a pure waste of time. There are so many things that usually go wrong that people find it overwhelming to figure out exactly what the problem is. Usually the problems are more than just one and there are things that need to be changed for good in order for meetings to start having a meaning.

If you want to improve the way your meetings usually go, it is recommended that you take into consideration the following advices:


1.       Planning


You must never go to a meeting without taking the time to plan it all first. If you are just going to get together with your colleagues every Monday just because that’s what you’re used to doing, you might as well stop wasting your time. Your plan is going to help you stay on track when opportunities for distractions present themselves. It is also recommended to send the agenda for the meeting to everyone who is going to participate at least two or three days before the day of the gathering.


2.       Respect other people’s time


Your meetings should always start on time and end on time. This shows the participants that you respect their time. If you start late then you will most certainly have to end the meeting late. This means that the other participants might be late for their other meetings. One of the most common reasons why meetings start late is because some people don’t show up on time and the whole group has to wait for them. Prevent that by showing that you will not tolerate such behaviour and always start on time.


3.       Trust technology


Technology could be your best friend especially when holding meetings. There are various software solutions that you can take into consideration in order to improve the way you book meeting rooms and do the overall organization. Pronestor, for example, has developed software that can even greet visitors for you without having to bother the receptionist. It also helps with catering, requesting resources such as TVs and projectors and more.


4.       Decide who you need


If you are the one organizing the meeting, only invite people who are actually going to be useful and who will contribute as much as you need them to. People who don’t have to be at the meeting at all costs might be better off spending their time completing different tasks. There might also be people are only going to be needed for 5 or 10 minutes. Allow those people to come for that period of time, do their job and then leave if there is no point for them to stay there the whole time.


Having meetings is not really difficult when you know what should be done and how to do it correctly. Keep those things in mind next time you need to organize such gathering and you will find out how much better the results are going to be.

© 2014 lindadell


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

100 Views
Added on December 1, 2014
Last Updated on December 1, 2014
Tags: business, meetings, successful meetings, software