Chapter 6

Chapter 6

A Chapter by Lindsay T

I’ve only been in trouble once before.

            I was eight years old, attending a tiny elementary school back in Long Island. It was a rough time for me, because of everything going on at home, and I had fallen into the path of a group of mean girls at school. They were the type of girls who lived in Wildflower Comb, the nicest neighborhood in all of Long Island. They wore new clothes to school everyday, went into the city during the weekends, and had parents with fancy jobs in fancy companies. They were the opposite of me, and having someone so different in their class was like an invitation for battle.

            But I still wanted to impress them. I wanted them to see that even though I wore too-small grey clothing and had a paper bag of grits for lunch everyday, I was exciting. Because I knew that I was interesting, underneath everything. I didn’t see why they couldn’t see it too.

            One day during math class, our teacher went into the hallway to use the washroom. I stood up and walked to her bureau, taking the supply of thumbtacks from the bottom drawer and opening it. My heart was beating like a drum set, but I didn’t want the rest of my classmates to see that.

            “Holly,” hissed Audrey Marmot. Audrey was the Queen Bee, even in third grade. “What are you doing?”

            I shook out a few thumbtacks onto Ms. Landry’s chair and hurried back to my seat. When she came back a few minutes later, she sat down and promptly let out a string of profanities.

            It didn’t take long for things to unravel.

            I was escorted to the office- turns out my classmates weren’t as loyal as I thought they might be-and sent home with a pink slip. My father was disappointed, to say the least, and just looking at his face made me sure I wouldn’t pull anything like it ever again.

            But now, here I was. Ten thousand miles away, and I had broken my promise.

            Violet and Pearson sat on either side of me. We were in chairs so uncomfortable I knew they were placed there on purpose. The Dean’s office was impeccable, with row after row of certificates and a desk made completely out of marble. He was sitting on the other side of us, drumming his fingers and staring at us with an expression that made me so nervous I had to pee.

            The Dean was about ten feet tall and rail-skinny. It wasn’t endearingly skinny, either- like Pearson- just scary. He had thin grey hair and a nose that looked like a banana. I was so distracted, staring at this fruit-like body part, that I almost didn’t hear him begin.

            “I suppose you know why you’re here,” he said.

            Well, duh. You just dragged us inside after skipping class.

            Pearson jumps into an explanation. “It’s all my fault, sir. I’m sorry, sir. Violet and Holly had nothing to do with it. I acted stupidly and I should be punished, not them.”

            The Dean smiles at Pearson. Oh, Lord; even when he’s in trouble, Pearson can charm his way out of it. “Thank you for the apology, young man. Saying something like that is very selfless.”

            Pearson gives him his trademark grin, a smile stretching so wide you just can’t get annoyed.

            “But you still need punishment. All of you.” Scratch that. “I’m especially disappointed with you two, Pearson and Violet. I would have thought that after many years in the Valley Academy community, you would know how to behave.”

            Pearson looks like he’s fighting back a smile. Violet is hanging her head, and I can tell she’s actually ashamed. It’s shocking to see the difference between the two friends.

            “And Holly,” continues The Dean, “You’re new here. I’m not sure what kind of behavior was accepted at your old school, but it’s clearly much different than what’s expected here.”

            “Sorry,” I say. Pearson jabs me with his elbow, and I add, “Sir.”

            The Dean sighs. “I think a suitable punishment would be tutoring. Every night for the next two weeks, I want you three to go and help the fourth graders with their homework. Violet can show you both the ropes- she’s done it before, and voluntarily, I might add.”

            Pearson takes a big breath. He claps his hands a few times, something I know he does when he’s about to launch into a tangent. “Sir, my deepest apologies for this foolish act. I acted rashly and did not think about the possible consequences. However, I think we could use this as a learning experience and next time it happens- I mean, it won’t happen again, but if it does- then you could-”

            “Nice try, Pearson.” The Dean stands up. “You still need to tutor.”



© 2012 Lindsay T


Author's Note

Lindsay T
Chapter 6 of "Pearson." Enjoy and please tell me your thoughts!! Greatly appreciated :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

The Dean seems like a big softy to me, but then that was probably because of Pearson's charm. The end part was quite funny ;) I can only imagine what would be like to tutor 4th graders lol. Keep up the great work!

Posted 11 Years Ago


This book is getting better with every chapter. Your characters are very three dimensional, and not flat like beginning writer's. I'm liking Pearson more and more with every chapter.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

187 Views
2 Reviews
Added on June 21, 2012
Last Updated on June 21, 2012


Author

Lindsay T
Lindsay T

Toronto, Canada



About
Hello! My name's Lindsay, and I'm a fifteen-year old aspiring writer who loves everything literature. It's rare to find me without a pencil or book in hand. I've been writing since a very young age an.. more..

Writing