Chapter 12

Chapter 12

A Chapter by Lindsay T

“Have you got everything?”

            Violet’s voice is patient. She’s had to put up with me all morning, ever since I woke up in Holly-panic mode, convinced that I hadn’t packed any of the right clothing. But now I’m convinced that my suitcase is filled with everything I need, so I nod at the driver and the car lurches forward.

            It’s three months after the beginning of the year, but I’ve found myself with Creepy Driver again. He looks a bit different now- his moustache has gotten thicker, his beady eyes a little beadier, his voice a little creepier. He recognizes me, too, which only adds to the scare-factor.

            But now I’m sandwiched between my friends, Pearson on my left and Violet on my right. Valley Academy isn’t so intimidating anymore; in fact, it’s not intimidating at all. Thinking of the cobblestone walls and cozy common room fills me with a great sensation of happiness.

            “Are you alright?” whispers Pearson. I nod at him and move a little closer. Just being with Pearson is comforting enough. I know he feels the same way about me. We might not be dating, but there’s a bond between us that can’t be broken.

            The drive to Zurich International Airport takes nearly an hour. We go through customs easily enough, and that’s when we break off. Violet is flying to Boston; Pearson and I are both headed to New York City. His father is staying there during the holidays, in an expensive hotel overlooking Central Park. Pearson is certain that he’ll spend Christmas alone in a gigantic suite, doodling on hotel napkins and watching movies on a plasma-screened TV.

            My father is picking me up from the airport and driving me to Long Island from there. I’m looking forward to spending time with Dad, but home isn’t really home anymore. Valley Academy is my home now. It’s the place where I spend all my time; not the mansion in Long Island, which seems as unfamiliar now as it did when we first moved in.

            Pearson is terrified of flying. This is something I learn when we’re both strapped into our seats; side-by-side, a special courtesy from Valley Academy. He turns deathly white and grabs my hand, his fingers gripping me like an iron trap. It’s not exactly how I imagined holding hands with Pearson would be like, but I’ll settle for it.

            “Pearson,” I whisper. “Calm down. It’s going to be okay.”

            When we’re finally suspended safely in the air, Pearson opens his eyes again and regains some color in his face. He doesn’t drop my hand, but I have a feeling we’re both aware that he’s still holding it.

            “I’m sorry,” he tells me, leaning against the tiny plane window. It’s shut, thank God- if Pearson caught a glimpse outside, I’m sure he would turn into a ghost all over again. “I have bad experiences with flying. My first time on a plane was on the way to Valley Academy in kindergarten, and I was terrified.”

            “What about your father?” I ask. “Was he terrified too?”

            “I don’t know. He didn’t come.”
            “Pearson!” The thought of a kindergartener on the way to Switzerland all by himself makes me want to cry. I squeeze his hand. “That’s awful.”

            Pearson looks down at our hands and smiles. “It was,” he says, “But I think it’s okay now.”
            Our plane ride takes ten hours, and Pearson and I don’t stop talking until we’ve landed. He tells me everything; how he hates action movies, hot dogs, and playing cards; how he loves apple pie, The Rolling Stones, and giraffes. About the time when he was snowboarding in The Alps in fifth grade and tumbled down the entire hill, breaking both his arms for six weeks. About his mother, who lives in Indiana with a new husband and a new family that’s probably a heck of a lot happier than Pearson and his father. About all of the girlfriends he’s ever had, a grand total of three, who all went out with him because of his appearance and broke up with him because of his immaturity.

            I giggle at that. “You’re adorable,” I tell him, patting his curls because I can’t help it. Anyways, it’s not like anyone else can see. “But you are immature.”

            “I can’t help it!” Pearson says, grinning. “Some things are just funny.”

            I tell him about my father, about how hard he had to work until he was one day rewarded with gold. About how I used to hate school, dreaded going to it, and wore too-small clothing and ate too-little food everyday. About my glass bead collection, and how it started when I found a glass rose petal in my mother’s room a few weeks after she died. About how I hate celebrating Christmas, or used to, because my father could never afford gifts and always spent the day feeling sorry for himself. And Pearson listens to all of it.

            When we’ve collected all of our luggage, Pearson and I walk to the departing gates to say goodbye. He’s taking a taxi to the hotel, and my Dad should be waiting outside.

            “I’m going to miss you,” I tell Pearson. “Even though it’s only a few weeks.”

            “I will, too,” Pearson replies. “That was the best plane ride I’ve ever taken. I wasn’t even that scared, at the end of it.”

            “Oh, please. You almost ripped my arm off.”
            Pearson grins. “Sorry about that,” he says softly, taking a step towards me.

            For one brief, awkward moment, neither of us have any idea what to do. Pearson settles on a hug, wrapping his wiry arms around me so I can breathe in his scent. Snow. Even when we’re not in Switzerland, the smell follows. It’s only one of the things I love about him.

            Pearson lets go of me, but stops when his face is only an inch away from mine. He gives me a light kiss on the cheek. It’s only a peck, but it’s enough. Happiness surges through me. I’m in a crowded airport in a crowded city, people bustling around me. We might look insignificant compared to the rest of the world. But right now, right here, I have a very special boy in front of me. And his name is Pearson.



© 2012 Lindsay T


Author's Note

Lindsay T
Hope you like it. This chapter was pretty short, sorry about that! Reviews are always appreciated. :D

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Aww, the ending was really sweet. Great work! Can't wait for the next chapter! :D

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lindsay T

11 Years Ago

I'm glad you liked it! Thanks for all the great reviews. You and T. Logan are my most loyal readers,.. read more
Yay! This is perhaps my favorite chapter, for obvious reasons.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lindsay T

11 Years Ago

I'm very happy you liked it! Thanks for the fantastic reviews...you and BillyGirl are my most loyal .. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

175 Views
2 Reviews
Added on June 30, 2012
Last Updated on June 30, 2012


Author

Lindsay T
Lindsay T

Toronto, Canada



About
Hello! My name's Lindsay, and I'm a fifteen-year old aspiring writer who loves everything literature. It's rare to find me without a pencil or book in hand. I've been writing since a very young age an.. more..

Writing