Chapter Two: Please Help

Chapter Two: Please Help

A Chapter by Lonnie Paul Johnson

Chapter Two: Please Help

 

Later in the afternoon Pete sit in a booth at a coffee shop across the street of the hospital staring into a wide cup of hot mocha, he knows in his heart that Matthew campaign is on life support about to flat line.   Trying to convince him to act logically is not working so Pete is trying a difference tack in an effort to change Matthew mind before it too late to save his congressional campaign downward spiral.  Hearing the entry door bell ringing and tapping the door as it open Pete lift his head in the hopes it’s the person he is expecting to see.

 

A petite woman wearing black scrubs trim in gold enter into the shop, she has long thinly braided dark brown hair pull into a ponytail.  first time patronizing the little shop not conscious of her action she is walking on her tiptoes scanning the area with her anxious lavender eyes, Pete seeing who she is leap to his feet, a heavyset man with a receding hairline, waving his hand getting her attention.  She spots him smiling as she negotiated herself around other patrons sitting at tables reaching his booth.  They both hugged each other in a friendship greeting, he watches the beautiful woman take her seat as he enjoy the strong aroma of her perfume slightly mix with hospital disinfectant.  In an instant he wanted to forget about his job, because the campaign is dead anyway and talk romantically to this gorgeous damsels.  Maybe they can run off to the park where they can be alone hugging and feeding each other chilled juicy fruit enjoying a passionate moment.  POP! The dream bubble burst as the image of Susan, his wife appeared in his mind knowing she would not approve, ‘Oh well, back to business,’ Pete thought to him self.

 

“Hey Ebony, thanks for coming,” spoke Pete as he sat back down

 

“Sure Pete,” answer Ebony looking at him very curious, “You said it was important to meet you because Matthew is in trouble.”

 

“Yes he is, have you seen or heard the news today?” 

 

Ebony shaking her head, “No I don’t watch that much news.”

 

“Well this morning he had a radio interview and it was going well till about the end when he said something outrageous…”

 

“What did he say?”

 

“They were talking about healthcare and he went on a tangent talking like some kind of craze televangelist that he doesn’t need doctors and he can call down healing.  I think he was joking but it has backfired with the public, of course the radio station is helping fanning the flames with its talk shows.”

 

“What’s wrong believes God can heal, you know where I work a lot people I see we cannot help because they are too far gone in their illness.  I hear and see prayers all the time seeking a miracle of healing and it don’t come,” she sigh, “I wish I knew the secret of getting healing from God.”

 

“OK everybody knows that God can heal, but Matthew made it sound like in the interview that he is like Jesus and command diseases to leave and that what everyone up in arms about.  I want to put a statement on all of ours websites and social media pages clarifying our position but he will not let me, he thinks if I do that he will insult God Himself.  I don’t have much time before this controversy gets really out of control.”

 

“I understand, but why did you call me, what can I do?”

 

“I try to talk to him he will not listen so I thought if you can…”

 

Ebony interrupt, “NO!  I don’t think so; I can’t just call him and get into his business like that,” shaking her head and waving her hand in a negative jester, “do you remember I am the ex-girlfriend.  We only communicate when it concerns about our daughter, we do not talk about anything else.”

 

“Look, I need someone who he loves and respects to talk him to at lease cooperate of doing something instead of nothing.”

 

“But, what about his pastor or his parents, I am not the one, we are not close anymore that boat has left the harbor, there no love there.”

 

Pete grin, “You know Mat and I eat out a lot due to the campaign and when it his time to pay I watch him pull out his credit card behind a photo of you, it’s an old photo of your big hair days.”

 

“Oh God he still got that,” she smile in embarrassment.

 

“He has change wallets and the photo has follows each time, I don’t know who broke up with whom, but you are still close to his heart, that I do know.”

 

Sitting back and shoulder slump in the chair,” I don’t know about that…” her voice waver.

 

“Please I’m desperate, do you want Mat to become a congressman?” ask Pete

 

Ebony is agonizing in her mind, “Yes he would make a great congressman, but I don’t know.”

 

“Please!!!  All I’m asking if you try to get him to change his mind and if it doesn’t work well that the way the cookie crumbles.”

 

Ebony visible shaken blowing into her cheeks nodding yes, “OK, OK I’ll try, I pick up Abigail from my moms and go over to Matthew place and see what happen.”

 

Ebony quickly left the little coffee shop driving to her mother house to pickup Abigail, with great hesitation she called Matthew to drop by his apartment the reason she gave because Abigail wanted to spend time with him, of course he agreed.  Ebony knows it’s a little white lie, but she knew her little girl always wants to spend time with her daddy, one huddle down she thought to herself.

 

Ebony and Abigail standing outside of Matthew front door the little girl is full of excitement pulling and bouncing as Ebony is holding her tiny hand tightly, anxious she slide her hand over her hair in an effort to make it look neat while calming her nerves.  Glancing downward at her daughter she is beaming and grinning anticipating seeing her daddy today instead on the appointed weekend.  Ebony pressed the button hearing the chimes ringed inside the home. The front door open, “Daaaddddyyy!”  Abigail screamed as her arms shoot up for him to pick her up, Matthew hands swoop down lifting her up in the sky.  Abigail lock her arms around his neck as he kiss and growled like a monster on her cheeks, she giggling and squirming enjoying every moment.  Ebony watches very pleased of the loving relationship her daughter has with her father, soon the little girl ran into her room to find and play with her toys.

 

Matthew turned to see Ebony standing in the doorway, “Hi.”

 

“Hi,” Ebony reply.

 

“Do you want to come in?  Can you stay?”  Ask Matthew hopping she would say yes, taking a few step inside she nodded her head, a small grin uncontrollable appear on his face as he rush to shut the door.  Matthew is surprise to have Ebony inside his apartment to visit, normally she just stay long enough to drop off Abigail.  Closing the front door he could not help to check her out from behind, ‘beautiful.’

 

Ebony knows what he doing kept walking decided not to say anything observing the state of his living room, charts lay against the wall, paper, pamphlets and binders on the table sofa and chairs, “I guest this is ground zero for the Clark campaign.”

 

Stepping next to her scratching back of his head a little embarrass of his living room, “Well that wasn’t the plan but it just happen a lot of meeting are held hear.”  They both sat in the kitchen quiet unsure how to talk to each other giving little glances smiling nervously.

 

“Do you cook in this place?”  She ask noticing how very clean the kitchen

 

“Well you know,” he pauses, “No I don’t have time, but I do have a woman that come once a week to clean it.”

 

“Ha-Ha, I bet that the easiest filthy dollars she will ever make,” Ebony laughing as she spoke which in turn made Matthew started to chuckle, soon the ice is broken as they both started talking in general, “I find it strange that you are home on night like this I thought you be making speeches, shaking hands and kissing babies.”

 

I had a speech at the hospital, but it was cancels.”

 

“Oh I’m sorry, is everything ok with the campaign?”

 

“Yes, yes, it going well as plan, the campaign is building momentum our polling numbers are on the increase I think we are connecting with the voters as a candidate who has fresh ideas and…”  Suddenly he stopped sigh greatly holding his head down, “Awl Ebony I can’t do this, the truth the campaign might be dead and it’s my fault because what I said this morning radio interview.”

 

She cleared her throat, “I was listening to the news on my way over, it seem you stirred up a hornets nest about God, healing and medicine.  So do you believe in doctors?”

 

“Sure I do, but I don’t need them if I have something better, I know that God will heal me of any illness and He does.  I sound like a crazy man talking, huh.”

 

“I am hearing you and I should agree what you are saying, but my mind is finding it hard to wrap around what you are telling me.  Anyone who professes to be a Christian knows God can heal, but the way you said it to me it’s like fact and with the confidence it will work all the time.  Maybe that is the problem, most don’t really believe in God like that because they never seen it of experience the power of God.  That is why they are criticizing you, because you are offending how they view God.

 

“I guess that might be it, but this is how I have been living for years now when I pray God hears me and when I get sick He heal me.  Maybe I’m not fit to be a politician because I should have known better to say something that most people wouldn’t understand.  I should just drop out.”

 

“No Honey…Ulm…no Mat don’t do that, I know what you said in that interview sound strange but you are honest.  I know one thing we need in Washington are truly honest people who will say what they mean and stand by it.”

 

Matthew smiling and admiring Ebony for trying to encouraging him, “Thanks, you are very sweet to me for letting me vent, I am glad you are here, I didn’t want sit here alone tonight but I did not know who to call, but you came like you were sent by God, thanks”

 

“Alum Mat, do not thank me, my visit was not a spur of the moment, this was plan by your buddy Pete trying to get you to change your mind about that statement.”

 

Matthew chuckle, “He’s a good guy, trying his best to save this campaign, but he could have called anybody to help but he picked you that weren’t by chance.”

 

Ebony grins as she gazes at Matthew face, “So this was a set up by Angels hmmm.”

 

“Yep, that right!”

 

“OK, if that is the case then you should listen to me,” Matthew suddenly looked apprehensive; “I think Pete is right, you need to put out a statement clarifying what you mean without denying your Faith.”  He nodding his head in agreement, Ebony is happy within herself that she accomplished in helping Pete in changing Matthew mind and maybe save the campaign.  ‘My job is done,’ she thought to herself taking hold of her keys, she will let Abigail stay over night to spend more quality with her father.

 

“Will you help me write it, please?”  Pleaded Matthew, hearing his tender masculine voice requesting for help moved her heart to stay, but her mind is saying ‘NO!’  Gazing into his kindhearted big puppy dogs eyes melting her resistant, her heart is yearning to say yes because he needs her.  But Ebony mind is cold and logical, ‘you should leave, you did your part to help him, remember you are the ex and he’s the one who broke up with you.’  A debate is being fought in her soul between her mind wanting to leave because of past hurts and her heart having feeling for him desiring to stay.

 

“Yes, I stay and help you,” She is leaning with her heart again as she spoke her desire to stay with him because it felt like the right thing to do, Matthew is overjoyed smiling broadly.

 

■□■□



© 2012 Lonnie Paul Johnson


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

The plot is good, but the writing needs to be tightened up. There's quite a few grammar mistakes and some sentences don't make sense. The punctuation needs improvement as a couple of sentences are disjointed.

Hopeful this is helpful, as with a bit of polishing, this could be a good story.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Lonnie Paul Johnson

11 Years Ago

thanks again for the review, I'm thinking there is more of a story in the little short story.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

152 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on October 5, 2012
Last Updated on October 5, 2012
Tags: political, religious, romance


Author

Lonnie Paul Johnson
Lonnie Paul Johnson

fort Worth, TX



About
I loved writing stories, when I was young I wrote very simple and crude stories base off of TV shows and movies I seen at the time. An event happen when during that time I believe influence my writin.. more..

Writing