The Journey

The Journey

A Story by Carlos Lorenzo Estrada
"

If Buddha was a female how different would her teachings be compared to her counterpart. I hope not to offend but simply ask a question that lingers in my mind.

"
                                                                                               The Journey 

                                                                                (The Dharma of Buddha Satra)
                                                                                                        By
 

                                                                                     Carlos Lorenzo Estrada 

     The journey had been arduous and filled with many perils for Marwani, but its end had finally come, as he found himself standing at the edge of the mythical garden of tranquility.  He had set sail upon the seas of discord for an eternity on a raft made of bound reeds and twine.  The cascades of the seas raged and tore at his already fractured soul, as he braved it with his remnants to find an answer to his troubled heart.  He fought against the demons of his despair, which whispered through the four winds in giddy cacophonous glee upon the ocean night.  It sought to drown him and choke the life from his lungs, but how could the dark seas kill a spirit already in death?  He fought the compulsion to join those lost souls who had resigned their fate to the depths of darkness.  The young man knew he would not find peace until he found answer.  And it was only in the great wisdoms of Buddha Satra would he find his enlightenment.  In the balance of Nirvana.

     The island teamed with life as he had walked the narrow path of spiritual direction.  The vines tangled and clung like grassy ropes up towards the canopy of this enigmatic majestic wood.  The call of nature sang throughout the air in chirps and chittering whispers of the creatures who inhabited this hallowed place.  They were welcoming in their song.  Fragrances of many kind alluded to the holiness of the earth he occupied.  Lilac, Jasmine, Roses, and endless others pervaded the air with a boundless bouquet of reverence in their essence.  He was in a world outside his own, and he felt very much a stranger in a strange land, indeed.

     As he stood at the entrance of the garden he reminisced of the sea foam that clawed at the edges of his raft.  Their white endless bubbles echoing the billowy clouds that weighted in counter from the heavens above.  It gave an appearance and sense of infinite wonder as to where the sea began and the sky ended.  With the many hazards travailed in conquest now behind him Marwani found his campaign at its end.  Would his audience be accepted by the spiritual Eminence of the Mother Buddha?  And would she find kind mercy upon him to reveal the burdened question that racked his weary soul?  With troubled heart he proceeded forward toward the path of enlightenment; his hardship carried on strained shoulders of angst.

     The great tree stood before him, wonderous in appealment and alluring attraction.  Its height and presence intimidated the senses with awe and grandeur reserved for only the most holy.  Its color was defined in multitude, with many shades of brown and tan painting its cragged skin. The tree breathed and shimmered with life.  The leaves verdant and gold upon its edges reflected its eternal vibrancy.  And the roots protruded from the Earth like welcoming fingers gesturing in peaceful friendship.  But it was at the tree's center that held its revealed soul in the personage of the great mother Buddha who sat in lotus position with eyes closed in meditation.  No words could define her state of sublime perfection.  She simply was.  In all things.

     Marwani fell to his knees in prostration in the reverence of Buddha.  He humbled himself before her attained glory.  And wept.  In all things beautiful of this world nothing came close to the perfection of balance in a revealed universe before him.  He had reached the pinnacle and summit of all things in alignment.  There were no mysteries or enigmas, there was simply her.  The center of the universe.

     "Mother Buddha, I come to you a broken humble man.  I beseech your grace in search of an answer that plagues upon my wretched soul."  The words fell from the boy's lips, for he was but a child before the presence of such beauty.  He struggled to contain his tears as he continued in his request.  "I have traveled far from worlds to worlds in search of your enlightened spirit, so that I may find and be a part of the peace that surrounds you."

     "What is it that you ask of me, child." Her words soothed him in their calmness.  It was as if the very world around him spoke in unison as one single voice.  Their reverberation could be felt through his very skin, and their warmth touched him deeply.

     "I wish to know, Mother Buddha, what is the purpose to love?"  Marwani spoke apprehensive of being shunned for such an insolent selfishly pessimistic question.  "We give of ourselves, yet our heart breaks and our spirits fracture for reasons uncontrollable to us.  Why is our love not returned in kind?  Why do we, the heartbroken, suffer so?"
     
   

     "It is much easier to hate then it is to love.  For love requires sacrifice; it asks of us to give a piece of ourselves unconditionally.  Without any expectation of ever receiving the same in return.  To give of one's self is to fragment their soul as a sacrificial gift.  And what fills that missing sliver?  It is the void of empty sorrow.  If the gift is not returned in kind then the sea of sadness overflows the void and fractures the heart even more." Buddha Satra spoke in her divine personage while sitting in meditation within the garden of tranquility.  "Expect nothing of this world, and the sorrow fades.  Open up to the universe and find a greater love."

     "But how can I move forward on the path of peace if I have not been compensated for the wrong placed upon my heart?" Marwani spoke between his falling tears.  "Where is my justice."

     "Love can not be judged upon metal scales of justice.  For love is not an object of physical value.  It is simply a gift that one bestows from one heart to another.  To criticize it harshly is to weigh oneself's heart on the scale and judge it accordingly for its worth; and if you were willing to do so then you have already placed value on its life.  By the taking of it."  Buddha Satra spoke with empathetic understanding to the plight of the young man's pain.  "The path of enlightenment is to calm the roaring sea within. And to let go of your frailties, and accept your divine humanity.  You are the lathe that plies the wood of this greater universe which you give shape to, through peaceful enduring love."

     "Forgive me, great mother Buddha, for not understanding the ways of this world, and bothering your meditation with such childish questions.  My journey was long in travel and brought me only closer to my sadness, for I have failed to be a better person and walk the path of enlightened wisdom."  Marwani wiped the tears from his eyes and he bowed with deep honor and prepared to leave in solitude.

     "Your journey has ended here for a reason, child, for it is not at its end but its beginning.  Come sit and rest your weary bones so that we may together bring you to enlightened spirit.  For tranquility is a path never taken alone, but experienced in the togetherness of all things living."  Buddha Satra spoke her Dharma beneath the great tree and smiled in grace.

© 2021 Carlos Lorenzo Estrada


Author's Note

Carlos Lorenzo Estrada
It is not my hope to offend those of the Buddhists faith but simply present an alternate telling of its wisdoms. I hope it inspires conversations and warm thoughts on a belief system that speaks to our eternal yearning to find peace within.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

You ask a very interesting question with this write, Carlos. If females are supposed to have a more motherly and caring touch, how much extra peace would they bring to Buddhism itself? Can it's teachings ever be more refined and graceful with such a feminine touch? Who knows. Personally, I think the peace and wisdom that is contained in its teachings is one of the better examples of religion that we humans have on offer. So anything that teaches peace, love, respect, harmony and inner wisdom and contentment can only be a good thing. Your description and the way you weave your tale makes for a most enjoyable read. 💛

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Carlos Lorenzo Estrada

2 Years Ago

Thank you, Marina, for your review of this story. Your assessment is exactly the conversation I ask.. read more



Reviews

You ask a very interesting question with this write, Carlos. If females are supposed to have a more motherly and caring touch, how much extra peace would they bring to Buddhism itself? Can it's teachings ever be more refined and graceful with such a feminine touch? Who knows. Personally, I think the peace and wisdom that is contained in its teachings is one of the better examples of religion that we humans have on offer. So anything that teaches peace, love, respect, harmony and inner wisdom and contentment can only be a good thing. Your description and the way you weave your tale makes for a most enjoyable read. 💛

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Carlos Lorenzo Estrada

2 Years Ago

Thank you, Marina, for your review of this story. Your assessment is exactly the conversation I ask.. read more
Hello, Carlos! :)
It feels nice to sit in the shade. This seems like a great religion to practice during the summer. Haha
I can't say that I know much about this Buddhism, beyond Chinese giving money to statues in yellow temples, buying luck like the romans did before Jesus "saved" them. Some of my favorite people keep this as tradition, quite a bit like throwing coins into a wishing well, and not at all resembling a yearning for nirvana. Which reward would you choose, Carlos, eternity or oblivion?


Posted 2 Years Ago


Carlos Lorenzo Estrada

2 Years Ago

I should clarify one thing, he didn't molest me but sure did a lot of rubbing my shoulders and back... read more
mattavelli

2 Years Ago

Maybe you should create your own religion. That could be fun, and may get you a break in property ta.. read more
Carlos Lorenzo Estrada

2 Years Ago

hahahaha I would be an unkind God. And my commandments would be more like sayings from one of the c.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

153 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 16, 2021
Last Updated on June 16, 2021
Tags: Love hope faith enlightenment sp

Author

Carlos Lorenzo Estrada
Carlos Lorenzo Estrada

salinas , CA



About
If I can say something worth saying that makes just one person think about others...I'll try. The greatest storyteller was my grandmother. I miss her stories. Also, I would like to add to please pay.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..