Freedom in Chains

Freedom in Chains

A Poem by Carlos Lorenzo Estrada
"

On this day of freedom celebration from oppression we must never forget those who we oppressed and denied the same freedom.

"
Freedom in Chains

By

Carlos Lorenzo Estrada 



I'm not even human in the eyes of hate,
Seen as three fifths of a man; other colors can relate.

The shackles may be gone, but the hate still remains. 
I can see it in their eyes; should be locked up in chains.

As a lighter shade of brown I just want to be free.
But I'm thrown in a cage and stripped of all my dignity.

I'm not even human in the eyes of hate.
They took my freedom, my family, my will to retaliate.

But as long as I can think, I will always be free.
You can chain and hang this body, but It'll always be me.


So let me elucidate
What others may proliferate.
You see my mind, is as free as a bird
But freedom to me...is just another word.

© 2021 Carlos Lorenzo Estrada


Author's Note

Carlos Lorenzo Estrada
Inspired by Maya Angelou's "Caged Bird" as well as the haunting Billie Holiday song "Strange Fruit". The words we write are inspired by the voices which came before us. They are our Muse.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I am not American, but lived there for a while. The issue of racism is an interesting one to me, but it is one I observe from the outside. I have read your post about your personal experiences, and it must have been very hard. I also understand the perspective of the lady who questioned the existence of "white privilege" in her comment. The best we can do is to honestly express how we feel and think about the issue, and try to understand the perspectives of the "others." Maya Angelou was an amazing, captivating person, and your poem honors her work and legacy. It is amazing to me how politics seeps into everything, and art is no exception.

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Carlos Lorenzo Estrada

2 Years Ago

Thank you, Laz, for your comments. I totally agree with trying to understand the perspectives of oth.. read more



Reviews


.. there are so many contradictions in this world of ours and so many juxtapositions and injustices too .. your captivating title in its own write is a perfect example of what I mean .. and what followed is the kind of stuff that should not be consigned to locked cupboards and drawers .. but rather shared and explored and used as some kind of sounding board in order to inform and help others see what is in fact nowt but truth ..


Posted 2 Years Ago


Carlos Lorenzo Estrada

2 Years Ago

Thank you, Neville, for your comment on this poem. I wrote this to spark conversation on this subjec.. read more
Interesting poem about being mistreated and having no freedom. Even today many places stil have 0 freedom for others.

Posted 2 Years Ago


Carlos Lorenzo Estrada

2 Years Ago

Yes so true Junglee we at times don't truly appreciate the freedoms we do have and are lucky to have.. read more
NotUsinganymore

2 Years Ago

You are welcome. I posted a new poem! Please check it out c:
Our mind, heart and soul can truly be free when we adore every tradition, culture, race wholeheartedly . We can only rise by lifting each other up.!!
It touched my heart.
Thanks for sharing this work.


Posted 2 Years Ago


Carlos Lorenzo Estrada

2 Years Ago

Thank you, Saga, for your true and beautiful words. You are correct until all of us come together an.. read more
Meenakshi Dutta

2 Years Ago

Truly, carlos, i completely agree with you on the point that even I hate to live in a such a society.. read more
Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
freedom is not in the body, freedom comes from within, when your mind is aware, when your heart is open, when your soul is soaring. if You have hate, fear, guilty... etc... and all those negative devastating feelings which wight You down instead of building You up, You are not free, and You will not be unless You get rid of them, moved away from them and be healed. powerful poem my friend specially this line, "I'm not even human in the eyes of hate" amazing and brilliant.

Posted 2 Years Ago


Carlos Lorenzo Estrada

2 Years Ago

Thank you, my friend, for your thoughts on this poem. Racism and hate is a powerful subject to broac.. read more
I am not American, but lived there for a while. The issue of racism is an interesting one to me, but it is one I observe from the outside. I have read your post about your personal experiences, and it must have been very hard. I also understand the perspective of the lady who questioned the existence of "white privilege" in her comment. The best we can do is to honestly express how we feel and think about the issue, and try to understand the perspectives of the "others." Maya Angelou was an amazing, captivating person, and your poem honors her work and legacy. It is amazing to me how politics seeps into everything, and art is no exception.

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Carlos Lorenzo Estrada

2 Years Ago

Thank you, Laz, for your comments. I totally agree with trying to understand the perspectives of oth.. read more
Hello, Carlos! :)
Racism is dumb. Hate is a lazy emotion. The USA has a tradition of hating the new groups that immigrate over. Most of the blacks didn't immigrate, but the transition out of slavery was similar. Anyway, imagine the cultural unity we could have if we could come together and hate some people, as a nation.

Posted 2 Years Ago


Carlos Lorenzo Estrada

2 Years Ago

Thank you for being my eyes, Matt. Even with these reading glasses and reading this thing over 30 ti.. read more
Just curious why exactly you relate to being shackled in chains? What in society has caused you to think this way? The phrase white privilege seems to be thrown around a lot in the media these days but I have never gotten a full understanding of it. Whenever the questions is asked the explanation given is something about how white people just can't see it, because it's been so systemized that they are automatically racist without knowing. How can you be racist without knowing? I just don't buy it. I am personally tired of people thinking that white people are racist because of the way the system is set up. Not their fault- just like it isn't anyone's fault today what happened in this country a hundred and fifty years ago.
Anyhow, regardless of the political stuff behind it the flow and quality of the writing is very good. I encourage you to keep going, my friend.

Posted 2 Years Ago


Foxemerald

2 Years Ago

Thank you, Carlos! I appreciate having the conversation with you as well. Thank you for your honesty.. read more
Carlos Lorenzo Estrada

2 Years Ago

You are very welcome. Art is created to spark conversation to open dialogue. How can we ever come t.. read more
Foxemerald

2 Years Ago

You are welcome, and thank you as well for the share! You are one hundred percent dead on I think in.. read more
White privilege is still a very real thing. The percentage of the population incarcerated is still very disproportionate in terms of color and class.

I'm glad you spoke of your influences in the author's note. Those are some pretty good one's, you had a good muse(s) for this one.

Posted 2 Years Ago


Carlos Lorenzo Estrada

2 Years Ago

Thank you for taking the time to comment on this work. Believe me I totally know all to well of whi.. read more
Davidgeo

2 Years Ago

Ironically just a couple days ago, I was re-reading an old sociology book of mine called Street Leve.. read more
Carlos Lorenzo Estrada

2 Years Ago

Thank you, DDay, I will check that out.
I loved this, thanks for sharing.

Posted 2 Years Ago


Carlos Lorenzo Estrada

2 Years Ago

Thank you sincerely R.J. for reading and commenting on this work. I truly appreciate it.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

151 Views
9 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 4, 2021
Last Updated on July 5, 2021
Tags: love hope Inspiration

Author

Carlos Lorenzo Estrada
Carlos Lorenzo Estrada

salinas , CA



About
If I can say something worth saying that makes just one person think about others...I'll try. The greatest storyteller was my grandmother. I miss her stories. Also, I would like to add to please pay.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..