The Poet of Gibraltar

The Poet of Gibraltar

A Story by Carlos Lorenzo Estrada
"

We write of love from experience and our own bias subjective thoughts. What of love don't we know as writers? This very short story is a slice of that in some elusive way.

"
The Poet of Gibraltar 

By

Carlos Lorenzo Estrada 


     The early 17 century Spanish poet Miguel Andres Bermontez was mad.  He had lost himself in the words he wrote. A lover to the many muses that had occupied all corners of his thoughts.  To see this young Spaniard one could not help but become enamored and entranced by his comely youthful dark visage.  Both men and women alike found in him an allurement beguiling to the senses.   Was it the endless pools of verdant sage that seemed to sparkle at the sun's touch when staring in one's direction?  Or the thick long curled black mane that fell against his face seeking to suppress some of his beauty only to enhance it? Perhaps the high cheekbones and pristine set nose that lent to his features an androgynous aspect?  One could only speculate in wonderment why this tall young man captured their attention as if he were a divine sentinel sent to usher their souls into the afterlife.  For they always found themselves yearning to follow his lead.  But alas he was mad, and in his abject madness could only inspire infatuated lustful dreams.


     Matilde Cordero loved him, though she could not find it in her heart to utter the words. For she knew deep down inside to do so would be to surrender her very soul to the same madness that befell her lover's mind.  Even as she had watched her elder sister Claudia take affection for Miguel her love for him never wavered.  She had come to the realization that her passion would go unrequited for he belonged to no one but the world.


     "Come, Mati, this way..." the mere sound of his voice sent her heart aflutter and she was lost in him once more.  Death by a hundred thousand rose petals.


    "Slow down, Miguel, my legs are too short to...."


     "Ay, cariña, you would be lost without me." He said as he whisked her into his arms and carried her down the worn dark cobbled stone road toward the city square.  The bright sun held high above the heavens holding court among billowy fawning fluffs of white cumulus cotton.  It was a majestic view as the bustling plaza opened wide to travelers and spectators alike. The fountain with its marble winged angel greeted the people in welcoming gesture.  A cornucopia of scents filled the air ranging from flowery, to freshly baked, and even succulent cooked meats. 


     "Put me down, Miguel! Right this instant..." She clung to the white flowing shirt he wore and her face pressed firmly against his chest like a baby to its mother's breast.  "...don't you dare drop me.  You are so incorrigible!"


     "Ah, but you love me."


     "I most certainly do not.  You mistake my kind affections for the w****s who engage for your attention." She shot back, knowing it was a lie he easily read.


     "You wound me, cariña, am I not worth fighting for." A teasing smile passed his lips and once more she was smitten by angel wings.


     "I...I.." She stammered as she clung tighter to his chest.  "...you disgust me."


     "I know, Matilde, and that is why I am so very much in love with you. Because you could never be mine." His words were difficult to ascribe any intent toward. Did he mean them?  Or were they simply part of a long list of things said with no meaning behind.


     "I could." She whispered only loud enough for her to hear.


© 2021 Carlos Lorenzo Estrada


Author's Note

Carlos Lorenzo Estrada
There is a deeper meaning in this short story I believe. Though as the writer my perspective would be biased. The two characters reflect tropes often associated with romantic genre fiction. Leaving this open ended felt right for the moment. Feel free to comment or leave your thoughts on this work.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

First & foremost let me say: MORE SHORT PROSE! I so much prefer your prose writing, even tho your poetry is also very striking & original. When I read your authors note, I get the feeling you are fishing for a certain response. I could not wrap my head around your characters representing a common trope of romantic fiction (which I typically hate). This is becuz your story is set in olden times when people didn't overcomplicate life, with love being shown freely & enthusiastically. If these characters were set in modern times, I might fault them for being too flat & predictable in a romantic way. But in an old-timey setting, I find such unabashed romanticism is more easily accepted. Either that, or I'm just full of romanticized crap (((HUGS)))

Posted 2 Years Ago


Carlos Lorenzo Estrada

2 Years Ago

I can't get nothing passed you because you're too perceptive and much too wise. The poem I wrote cal.. read more
barleygirl

2 Years Ago

You are talking to the wrong person. I routinely kill off lovers in my stories & poems. I guess I mu.. read more
I loved the story Carlos.
"I...I.." She stammered as she clung tighter to his chest. "...you disgust me."
"I know, Matilde, and that is why I am so very much in love with you. Because you could never be mine." His words were difficult to ascribe any intent toward. Did he mean them? Or were they simply part of a long list of things said with no meaning behind.
"I could." She whispered only loud enough for her to hear."
The above lines I did like. My father told me often. Love and hate. A heartbeat apart. Thank you for sharing the outstanding tale.
Coyote

Posted 2 Years Ago


Carlos Lorenzo Estrada

2 Years Ago

Thank you CP for your thoughts on this work. It's a snippet of a short story I'm still working out, .. read more
Coyote Poetry

2 Years Ago

You are welcome my friend.
Nice short story. Is there more of it?

Posted 2 Years Ago


Carlos Lorenzo Estrada

2 Years Ago

Thank you Jasmin for your question. I haven't written anymore as of yet but there is more to the sto.. read more
Jasmin

2 Years Ago

No pressure Carlos. :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

123 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 17, 2021
Last Updated on August 17, 2021
Tags: love hope philosophy poetry

Author

Carlos Lorenzo Estrada
Carlos Lorenzo Estrada

salinas , CA



About
If I can say something worth saying that makes just one person think about others...I'll try. The greatest storyteller was my grandmother. I miss her stories. Also, I would like to add to please pay.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


The Island The Island

A Poem by peyton


A Promise... A Promise...

A Poem by Quill~