PART I: Chapter II

PART I: Chapter II

A Chapter by Audrey Mills

“Here’s her folder and it’s room 103. Down the hall and to the left.” Carlisle told me.

 

I had agreed to work at Forks Hospital, as small as it was compared to others the attention needed was just as great. I felt paranoia creeping up my spine as I remembered the first time I had exposed my true self to her in the accident. She kept insisted she was fine to her father and shortly afterwards stole a private moment with me in which she was determined to get the truth from me. That was the last time I had stepped inside these walls, and I hadn’t planned on returning, but as I took a deep breath and headed down the main hallway I reminded myself that this was for Carlisle, my family, and myself.

 

I’m now assigned to a patient that Carlisle explained was his top priority. I tried several times to pick at his thoughts to why I thought this, but over the decades he had experienced himself in concealing his private thoughts, and this matter concerned that. I was to simply check on her a couple of times daily, give her medication, and visit with her. I knew the visiting part would be the easiest; she probably wouldn’t talk very much do to the fact that she would be too memorized by my appearance.

 

I turned left as instructed and careful not to walk to swiftly I headed down the corridor barely glancing at the room numbers. 99, 100, 101, 102…

 

I door was open and I rapped my knuckles quietly on the doorframe. No answer came. I walked into the room, the window that parallel to me had the curtains drawn and was casting a dim light for today displayed typical Forks weather, the dreary dark clouds that hung like a drape over the sun. It looked as if a storm was approaching. I could see the television hanging on the wall beside me. It exhibited a talk show in which a woman with short blonde hair was conversing with a well-known movie star. I didn’t recognize it, but I knew Emmet would in a heartbeat. I never had much patience to watch TV.

 

The hospital bed rested in the middle of the wall to the right of me, protruding out to the middle of the room. I rested my eyes on the patient. She appeared no older than 18 and had the most striking features. Her face was round which housed a long slender nose and a pair of lips whose bottom was fuller than the top set on a canvas of fair complexion. A curtain of straight black hair fell around her, escaping nearly to her hips. It was messy as if she had just woken up. Her eyes reminded me of the days when Forks experienced cloudless sunny days, when just the pale blue sky could be seen for miles. They weren’t looking at me but staring at the television with a glossy glare that resembles boredom. I felt my throat constrict and a sudden burning licking it way up towards my mouth. I felt disconnected to reality for what seemed to be years, and all I thought of was the taste running down my throat. The intoxicating smell drifting from the unsuspecting victim. I was rigid and concentrated. I was ready.

 

That was when her eyes finally twitched and met mine. The light that reflected in her eyes made them appear grey. I let out a puff of air as I realized what had just happened. I control my face and stood upright again. I let my troubled thoughts slip away and approached her. Her face showed no hint of surprise, horror, or admiration. She just gave me a scrutinizing look, her eyes moving over me, studying me. I felt open to her and I didn’t like it. However, as my emotions flared inside of me that disappeared as I gazed at her, as if her watery eyes seared the flames within me. Now I was getting frustrated. Who was this girl and what affect was she having on me? I smiled tightly and flipped open her file. The first thing my eyes hit was her name.

 

I cleared my throat before saying as politely as I could manage, “Hello Melody, I’m Edward Cullen, Dr. Carlisle Cullen’s son. I’ll be taking care of you for a while.”

 

I waited for her response, and her sudden movement caught me off guard. I took a step back as she reached over to her bedside table and picked up a notepad and a pen. I noticed the expressions “I need to use the restroom” and “May I have more water?” written on it. I thought it odd that such notes would be taken; only until she turned to a clean sheet and started writing did I understand. When she was finished she held it up to me, the same look plastered on her face.

 

Where’s Carlisle?

 

I was surprised she called him by first name. I responded quickly.

 

“He is busy doing other work, he has put me in charge of you now.”

 

She nodded.

 

“I was told you need your medication at four everyday and lunch with it, so what would you like for lunch.”

 

She began scribbling again.

 

The usual.

 

She was trying to play games me, thinking I was new. I smiled and concentrated on her thoughts. Nothing. I tried again. No answers. I was stunned. As she looked away I gave her a nod and reassured her I’d be back within the hour with her needs. I started heading for the doorway.

 

Wait! I don’t want chocolate pudding today. I want vanilla!

 

Her thought rang clear through my mind, pounding with worry and frustration with herself for forgetting. I heard her sigh as I cleared the doorway. I kept my mind clear as I tracked down Carlisle to find out exactly what “the usual” was to her.

 

 

After confronting Carlisle, I headed down to the break room. There was a smoking area outside and as I stepped out I was grateful no one was there. They say fresh air can clear one’s head; only for me it refreshed my thoughts. My mind was spinning with frustration, guilt, and curiosity. I had almost killed her, right then and there! I remembered her scent. The smell that reminded me of the ocean; the salty tang mixed with sweet sugar. It was nauseating. I felt betrayed that my body could feel for another again, especially so soon. Could it be that she might be my second soul mate?

 

That wasn’t possible and I wasn’t going to allow it. I refused to fall for another again, but could my kind have another? I could ask Carlisle, but then he might refuse to let me be around her, and I felt my heart lurch. Wait; was I lusting for her presence? I felt horrified. The monster I was. How could I betray her like this, she was my life, my love, my only thirst. But this girl was so enchanting with her appearance and her curious ways of communication, how I couldn’t read her thoughts, except that one time. What’s happening to me? I stared at the ground and watch the leaves swirl at my feet. The storm was coming and the clouds looked heavy, ready to relive themselves of rain.

 

I took a few deep breaths and put out my ponderings and walked back into the break room. I glanced at the clock. It was ten to four. I sighed and knew I shouldn’t let Carlisle down, especially on the first day. I would save my troubles for myself.

 

I almost knocked again, but remembered that even if I did no response would come. I took another deep breath for I would try not to breathe, hoping it would save me from an unwanted distraction.

 

I came in with a pleasant look and she already had her food tray set up as if she was expecting me. The rain had finally broken through and was now pelting against the window. She was watching it, this time fascination glowing in her eyes. I set her tray down and she studied it over quickly noticing the vanilla pudding sitting innocently above her main dish. Her expression went from smug to surprise. She looked at me with a questioning expression. I smiled.

 

“I reset your help button to page me directly if you need anything else. I have to go now. I’ll see you tomorrow.”

 

I left leaving her shocked and wondering. I had won this time.



© 2008 Audrey Mills


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

70 Views
Added on November 27, 2008