Chapter 6 – but no power

Chapter 6 – but no power

A Chapter by LT Kodzo

They escort us from the room and down the hall. Dee Dee is led into the first door on the left. I’m taken to the second. I have no idea where Fisher and Mario have gone, but I imagine they’re separated too. The room I’m in is smaller than my closet. Against the wall, a padded table stands next to a cabinet. No sign of dead animals or wood, instead floor-to-ceiling, white paint.

The antiseptic-mixed-with-latex smell reminds me of doctors and medical exams.  The room has that getting-a-procedure vibe.

“Get undressed,” Rowena barks before she leaves the room.

“Where’s the phone?”

She slams the door closed without answering me. I squeeze my hands into fists to restore the circulation. Up in the corner, where a spider would crouch, a camera blinks its red eye at me. Coat hooks hang on the back of the door next to a steel sink. With all the electronics I’ve seen here, I wonder if they plan on implanting something under my skin.

I search the cabinet drawers.

Cotton swabs.

Tissues.

A box of latex gloves. I suddenly want to vomit again.

 “Get undressed,” Rowena’s voice booms through the room.

I spin around.

I’m alone.

A chill crawls up my arm knowing the ugly gestapo guard watches me. The last thing I want to do is undress, but I’m trapped. The thought of having that big ape come in and force me is strong motivation to get it over with.  

When I climb onto the exam table, my feet don’t touch the floor. I reach a couple times with the tip of the used boot, but the gap between me and solid ground had become too wide. The sooner I got this over with, the better. I remove a boot and sock and drop it to the ground. The empty thud echoes across the room. I repeat it with the second foot and feel a chill climb up my bare leg. Eyeing the camera, I remove my sweater keeping my camisole on. Then I wiggle out of my jeans and force myself to imagine I’m at a public swimming pool. My underwear is my swimming suit. I just need to trick my mind long enough to get to the phone. Soon as I call Uncle John, everything will be okay.

This is temporary. This is only temporary. Very temporary.

I feel stronger and fold my arms over my makeshift swimming suit with my sweater and jeans in my lap. I can do this. I can. Within seconds Rowena reenters the room. I’m relieved to see she’s not alone. Another female guard comes in carrying a khaki pair of pants and shirt.

Whew. They just want me to change into a uniform. They could have eliminated the stress by letting me dress myself instead of all the drama.  My relief is short-lived. The other guard sets the clothes beside me and heads toward the cabinet.

Rowena takes my clothes and checks my jeans for, I don’t know, weapons, drugs, other things she thinks I could have gotten through airport security. I’m ready to be sarcastic. I’m ready to laugh at her and call her stupid. I’m ready to do a lot of stuff. But I can’t. The other guard has arrested my full attention. She pulls out a pair of thin, latex gloves from the drawer.

I bite my lip and study the wooden floor. Thin black lines force their way through the grain. Some swirl dizzily around a knot. Few of them are straight or even or fair. I no longer feel eighteen and experienced. I push back tears like a punished child being scolded by an overbearing teacher. I want my daddy. Even though he approved for me to be here. Even though I gave up wanting his love. I seriously want it now. It’s all I ever wanted. All the acting bad in my life to get his attention wasn’t worth this. If I could take it back, if I could stop these guards from their plans.

Rubber snaps as the examining guard pulls the gloves onto her hands.

I tighten my toes into a fist and pray for a simple frisking. The oily smell of lubricant assaults my nose.

“Take off your underwear.” The glove-wearing guard points to the remainder of my clothes and I slip off the table in shock and comply. 



© 2015 LT Kodzo


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

110 Views
Added on October 4, 2015
Last Updated on October 4, 2015
Tags: young adult, prison, detention center, locker 572, survival, christian

The Center


Author

LT Kodzo
LT Kodzo

Rock Springs, WY



About
I'm the author of 2 published works of Fiction as well as a series of Picture Books I wrote for my children over 20 years ago. more..

Writing
The Center The Center

A Book by LT Kodzo