Little Miss Sunshine

Little Miss Sunshine

A Story by Sophie


Dear whoever finds me first,


I'm sorry for this, for my leaving. This isn't one of those suicides where the person thinks no one cares about them. I know this will hurt you all, whoever you may be, a lot. See, I know people care about me, I just have trouble figuring out who. Lately I've just been feeling... shadowed. Like that little sun that always shined over me was permanently snuffed, like there's nothing left for me in the world, I've had my happiness, its gone now. Reading over what I have so far, I'm much too calm sounding. I'm bawling my eyes out and shaking so much I'm flabbergasted (there, I used that word for the last time.) I've just been feeling dark, and I'd like to compare myself to the moon. The moon has no light of it's own, it's merely rocks and dust and ice, the sun reflecting off it is what makes it shine. Well, you are all my light, but the sun doesn't need to the moon, the Earth does. I like the think the moon and the earth are lovers, eternally dancing, and the moon cares for Earth, but Earth would be okay without the moon, maybe a little thrown off, a little confused at first, but the sun would be fine. Well, I realized I'm just the moon, I'm not necessary. Did you know the moon is slowly drifting away from Earth?

Everyone talks about the dark side of the moon, and I know if you could argue with this note, you'd say it's only the dark side. But, all the moon is is dark, the light wwe see isn't it's own. The light, the happiness you've seen on me was merely a reflection of your own. I am nothing but rocks and dust and ice.

I am not the sun, nor will I ever be. The moon cannot turn into a star, you have to be born that way, that's why there's infinitely more stars than moons in the universe, just like there are infinitely more people who don't commit suicide than people who do.

So I'm sorry, but I'm a moon, I have to go. Maybe at night, when you look up at the sky and see the moon, feel sorry for it. No, don't think of me, please, don't, go on with your own sunny lives. But feel sorry for the moon, she knows loneliness and darkness, though she can't escape.

So this is goodbye. I'm sorry if your tides are strange for a while, I'm sorry if your lives are of balance for a while. But I'm not sunny.


-With love,

“Little Miss Sunshine”

© 2012 Sophie


Author's Note

Sophie
reviews please!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Oh my...what a sad piece, yet it really hits home.
I loved the metaphors in this piece. Each paragraph seemed to tell a story of its own, and spoke their own words. It was very beautifully written, yet quite devestating. I really hope these weren't your actual thoughts, more merely a characters. I always feel the worst of sympathy for those who think such words.
One of my friends thought about suicide, and almost attempted it. She as well knew that people would miss her, but she was convinced we'd get over it soon enough. Sudicide is such a selfish thing. Because death can never be forgotten.
A very sad piece, yet relatable. Wonderful write.


Posted 11 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Wow- very powerful, dark, emotional- exposing our most vulnerable sides, fear, sadness, depression- but when you compare to that of the moon- it truly becomes an intricate piece of poetry. I love your metaphors and the depth that you go to with this poem. However, that being said- I've known suicide only too well & have lost 2 irreplaceable friends & family- Thank you for posting this piece- but please always know that there is so much more to life than just darkness- and beleive me, my writes are pretty dark as well.

Posted 11 Years Ago


I lost two brothers to suicide one year apart. No-one knew they were scare and ready to face death. The story is true for many. Each of us can take more or less. Title caught my attention and the story broke my heart. Thank you for sharing the excellent story.
Coyote

Posted 11 Years Ago


I feel like they typos were created, recognized, then purposely overlooked. It gave it almost a nervous and "shaking of the hand as it wrote" feeling to the writer, almost someone who merely dashed down their thoughts on paper the slid the paper away, walked away, and never turned back even just to reread it because they knew that such a simple feat of recognizing their own thoughts would cause them to crumble.

Whether it was intentional or not, it was nice.

The story itself was very good, a lot of metaphors, anologies, and symbolism that was on the surface and even some in the core.
I'm assuming these aren't your own thoughts because I feel like you'd know better than to think in such tunnel vision (yes, broad tunnel vision, but tunnel vision nonetheless).
Stunning job Sophie

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is a great read. I was captured right from the get go. It was amazingly beautiful. It was sad, but the words were just capturing. you could feel the emotions, but you were so caught up in what the words said you flowed freely with them. I never rate things, but I'm rating this 100/100. It was just perfect.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Oh the moon is more important than you realize! It controls the tides, dictates seasonous stuff, the Earth is all outta whack without its precious moon. Ever read Life As We Knew It? lol, this is brilliant Sophie. I love how elegantly you express such remorse and how fully you extend your solar metaphor. I did see that in your second to last sentence, you forgot the word 'out', I believe. "I'm sorry if your tides are strange for a while, I'm sorry if your lives are [out] of balance for a while." Other than that, a lovely write. Thank you.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Sophie

11 Years Ago

I actually meant off balance, but either way its a typo lol
And I know the moon is important, .. read more
Lina Grey

11 Years Ago

haha well what I meant was that everything is equally important in the delicate balance of life and .. read more
Sophie

11 Years Ago

Thanks for your review, by the way, i forgot to say that lol
Oh my...what a sad piece, yet it really hits home.
I loved the metaphors in this piece. Each paragraph seemed to tell a story of its own, and spoke their own words. It was very beautifully written, yet quite devestating. I really hope these weren't your actual thoughts, more merely a characters. I always feel the worst of sympathy for those who think such words.
One of my friends thought about suicide, and almost attempted it. She as well knew that people would miss her, but she was convinced we'd get over it soon enough. Sudicide is such a selfish thing. Because death can never be forgotten.
A very sad piece, yet relatable. Wonderful write.


Posted 11 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Wow. This is very nicely written, reminds me of something I would say, which is a bit creepy. Very good write!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

293 Views
9 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 23, 2012
Last Updated on September 23, 2012

Author

Sophie
Sophie

-, MA



About
I'm 16 in my sophomore year of high school, I started on this site when i was 14, took about a year break and now i might be back, im just fixing my description because i was annoying as f**k last yea.. more..

Writing
untitled untitled

A Poem by Sophie



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..