The Yellow Line (edit #3)

The Yellow Line (edit #3)

A Story by Sophie
"

third person, past tense (up until the end) my favorite version

"
The two children were never to meet, never to know of each other, it was normal for the Somebodies and Others to separate themselves. It was easy. The Others all looked relatively the same, straight brown hair ranging from chestnut to deep brown and chocolate eyes, while the Somebodies all looked different, but not one of them had brown hair or eyes.
The Others loved rules, well, maybe not loved, love wasn't allowed, it was too passionate and seemed to cause uprisings. If there was one thing they were allowed to love, it was rules, regulation, and organization. Music was not allowed, it also caused passion and emotions that couldn't be held in. Books were, but only certain books, things with too much love in them were not acceptable, because it caused longing, another emotion unable to be controlled.
The Somebodies, however, hated regulation and rules. Everyone was free to do as they pleased, if there was a crime, people shrugged and said "oh, that's too bad." There was one rule, and one rule only, the only thing the Somebodies and Others shared: never cross the yellow lines in the middle of Main Street, and never speak to someone from the other side.
This rule was drilled into all children since birth, put into nursery rhymes and songs. The punishment wasn't spoken, but it was clear.
Then came the two children who challenged all they knew about their world.
Firstly, the Other girl, who didn't appear to be an Other at all. When she ran about and danced with joy, her fiery red curls bounced and her blue eyes shined with happiness. From a young age, her parents tried to suppress her emotions as best they could, but she was too strong willed, too stubborn. But even at the age of seven, she knew she was different and that it was wrong. She knew her curiosity was frowned upon and unwelcome, but she asked the questions anyway.
Her mother and father awaited the fateful day when the ultimate question was asked, and it came three months after her seventh birthday as she knelt on the window seat staring out at the empty street with the two, forbidden yellow lines in the middle.
"Momma, why can't we go over the lines?" Elizabeth had asked, not taking her light blue gaze from them.
"Because the people on the other side are different." Her mother sighed. It seemed her voice was a natural sigh, at least when speaking to Elizabeth, because Elizabeth was always disappointing her mother in some way or another.
"The Somebodies?" She asked again.
"Yes! The Somebodies, Elizabeth! Now stop asking questions!" Her mother looked ready to pull her hair out, which was greying though she was only thirty five.
Elizabeth silenced the many things that badgered her for answers and looked out at the street, wondering exactly what was so bad about crossing the line furthest from her.

Curiosity was welcomed in the Somebody home across the street, but not about the subject that Xavier wanted to know. He wanted to know if he could get a library card.
"Xavier, how many times have I told you, books are boring, now why don't you finally ride the motorcycle we bought you for your birthday six months ago!?" His mother said, urging him toward the garage.
"Mother, I'm seven doesn't that seem and little hazardous to you?" He asked, "Please? There has to be one book in the house you haven't let me read yet, please?" He begged.
"No! Steal a book! Do something that's fun and breaks the rules!" His mother urged, practically pleading.
"Fine, mother! If you want me to do something reckless why don't I cross the lines! I'm sure they have books over there!" He yelled, looking into his mothers green eyes without fear, but knowing she couldn't help the way she was saddened by the brown color of his.
She slapped him. Hard, and right across the cheek. He nodded, knowing he had crossed a line with her patience. He retreated up to his room and flipped to the first page of his old, worn book about a young boy named Tom who went on adventures with his friends and swung dead cats, and laughed at how it all sounded quite like the things boys his age were doing now.

Three years passed before anything of significant wrongness was done by Elizabeth. Now ten, she still wasn't brunette, and she still wasn't brown eyed, and she'd come to be happy with her differences, at least to an extent. No teachers ever forgot her name in school, it was hard to miss the bright tangle if curls that followed behind her when she ran and danced, and then hid her face when she cried for getting in trouble.
The thing she did wrong wasn't actually witnessed by anyone who would care, which was good. But she made eye contact with a Somebody.
Or, she supposed he was a Somebody, he was on the correct side to be, but his hair was brown and so were his eyes, from what she could tell. She saw him through a window, but the glass wasn't tinted like the Others' glass was, to keep anything that might be necessary for hiding hidden. Not that you couldn't still see inside.
Once he saw her, he quickly disappeared from view, and once again Elizabeth was left with questions she couldn't answer.
A few hours later, she watched again from her favorite spot in the window seat as many people arrived at the house across the way, and a strange sound blared from the house. It sounded like a woman contorting her voice so it went higher at some parts, and low on others, she drew out vowels sounds and every so often words rhymed.
"Like a poem." Elizabeth whispered. After a few more lines of the strange sound, she tried mimicking it loudly, and her mother rushed in.
"Elizabeth! Stop singing this instant!"
"But momma, it's fun." Elizabeth whined, starting to twirl around and dance.
"You want something to do? Why don't you go wash the dishes then?"
"Momma! That's not fun!" Elizabeth protested.
Her mother looses it, her voice going scratchy and high as she yells at the top of her lungs, "Why can't you just be like everyone else?! Why can't you just follow the rules?!" 
Elizabeth sits back on the window seat, unsure of what to do.
She hated her hair and eyes from that point on.

Xavier was unhappy and very curious, usually not a good combination because in his experience it leads to recklessness. He supposed his mother would like that, but he wouldn't.
He was unhappy because it was midnight and being ten years old, he was very, very tired, but he couldn't sleep because of the music blaring from downstairs. He was curious because there was a girl his own age across the street with red hair and blue eyes, when she was an Other and should have had brown hair and brown eyes. But she wasn't the one keeping him up, and he could wonder about her tomorrow. What he really wanted was to sleep. He opened the door to his room, the music immediately battering his ears. In his pajamas he walked through the ground of dancing, laughing, loud people to find his mother.
"Mother." He said, tugging on the hem of her shirt to get her attention.
"What, Xavier?" She asks, not stopping her dancing.
"Can you please send everyone home, I'm really tired." He asked, swaying in his feet and tearing up a little bit, ready to cry he was so exhausted.
"No, Xavier! We're having fun! Why don't you just going us, it's not even that late! why can't you just be normal?"
"I don't know, mother." Xavier sighed and went back up to his room and tried to sleep.

Elizabeth was fifteen when she saw the boy through only one layer of glass for the first time. He was laughing with his friends, all of them stumbling as they walked, laughing and talking loudly. One ran back to the house and threw up while the others just laughed. She watched a look of fleeting concern pass the boy with the brown hair's face, but it was quickly replaced with the fuzzy look of drunkenness. So he was faking, interesting. Elizabeth thought, watching as they all stood a few feet away from the lines in the road. One with pitch black hair stepped forward, and the brown haired boy followed, over taking him. Then he took another step forward, now only one foot away. The others didn't dare to follow him, too scared to go that close. One boy with bright blonde hair who appeared to not be drunk at all watched worriedly as the boy with the brown hair stepped forward again, the tips of his shoes an inch away from the line. they all watched in horror as he lifted his foot again.
"No!" Some of them yelled, though Elizabeth could barely hear. and the blonde one rushed forward and wrapped his arms around the boy's midsection to hold him back. The boy with the brown hair shook them off and started yelling, looking angry and very, very sad. The boys looked stunned and slowly walked back to their own homes.
The boy with the brown hair sat himself down right on the edge of the line on his side and stared at Elizabeth's window, knowing she was watching.
Elizabeth tried to talk herself out of it, but her curiosity is too much, her need for something rebellious is too hard to hold back. She tiptoed to the front door, glad her parents kept it well oiled.

Xavier watched in utter amazement as the girl with the red hair emerged from her door and walked slowly, looking scared, to where he sat. She sat down across from him, the width of the two lines and the space in between them the only thing separating them.
He knew he couldn't talk with her. The only Somebodies and Others who were allowed to talk were the ones who ran the government, and that certainly wasn't the two fifteen year old misfits.
They sat there, letting their eyes tell their stories, of how they never belonged, of how they hated themselves, of how they could never earn their parents' love. 
Xavier found his fingers tracing the boundary. What a silly thing, a line of yellow paint. It couldn't stop anything.
Yet it did.

Elizabeth is seventeen, and for the past two years every night she has sat across from the boy with the brown hair in silence. They have not spoken a single word in the two years, yet they know each other better than anyone else ever will. They have gotten as close as they possibly could, when sitting criss cross, their knees would be in the middle of the lines on their side. 
She just wants to tell him something, she just wants to talk to the boy she's fallen in love with without speaking to him. Her stomach churns as she opens her mouth, and she watches the boy with the brown hair's eyes widen.
"I love you." She says, her voice ringing out much stronger than she ever though it would, for she knows the punishment for her audacity.
He pauses for a moment, trying to find his voice, "I love you too." 
They stand up knowing that that was the end of them, and using the little time they have to make it count. Their feet touch in the center of the lines, their arms wrap around each other, and their mouths meet in a kiss.

Xavier knows what's coming, he knows exactly what their mothers plan to do as  the doors to their houses open in unison. He doesn't break apart from the girl with the red hair, who's name he'll never know. Not even when he hears their mothers c**k the guns. He reaches for her hand and clasps it tightly. There is no way to survive.
He feels a sob rack her body as cold metal presses to both of their heads, but they don't break apart, in their last act of defiance.
They are dead in the same instant. His blood and body on the Others side, her blood and body on the Somebodies, and their hands still entwined in the middle.

© 2012 Sophie


Author's Note

Sophie
reviews please!
If you've read the original, which one's your favorite?
This is my favorite story I've written.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I only read this one but it's very good :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


hey...let me figure it out that i've seen so writters view but this one is u know wht,.............U AWESOMENESS SHOWS BY UR VIEWS.........

Posted 11 Years Ago


Sophie

11 Years Ago

thanks!
Arsh

11 Years Ago

can u b mh frnd....?
Sophie

11 Years Ago

sure message me :)
great wording sophie......

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

So amazing!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Romeo and Juliet 2012!
Loved it, but supper peeved the it isn't a book. I'd buy this, forreal.
I love it, thankx for the R.R

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ana Drake

11 Years Ago

*Super
I have to say that the first one is my favorite but the ending in this one is way more powerful. All in all i love all three of them I feel like designing a book cover for this.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Sophie

11 Years Ago

omg could you? I suck at book covers
TurtleClark

11 Years Ago

sure
Sophie

11 Years Ago

only if you want to, though
So amazing! Although, I think all of them are amazing. Whenever you posted the 2nd edition of this, is when I got the inspiration to write the poem, The Inside, The Outside, & The Inbetween. That turned into the short story, Emerald, which turned into the book, Determined in a Deceptive World. So, just to let you know, if it wasn't for this story, none of those writings would have happened, and you would have no Ander to fangirl over. Just thought I'd let you know.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Sophie

11 Years Ago

OMG that's so cool! Thank you so much!
this is pretty cool

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

608 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on December 13, 2012
Last Updated on December 13, 2012

Author

Sophie
Sophie

-, MA



About
I'm 16 in my sophomore year of high school, I started on this site when i was 14, took about a year break and now i might be back, im just fixing my description because i was annoying as f**k last yea.. more..

Writing
untitled untitled

A Poem by Sophie