One

One

A Chapter by Sophie

One


As a colony made up of entirely teenagers, we are doing quite well for ourselves. Well, it’s not like the other colonies have anymore adults older than 22. And I don’t know if surviving after the apocalypse, losing a minimum of three kids a year, and the leader of the colony being seventeen years old, counts. If it does, then, damn, we are doing awesome.

The apocalypse was three years ago. An asteroid, about the size of the one that wiped out the dinosaurs, give or take a bit, hit a small town in Arizona. Many things died. Before the power died, we found out that only a few kids between the ages of 11 and 22 survived, the news broadcasts told us so. No one knows why, maybe a weird chemical that teens were immune to? There were some abnormalities, some kids were as young as seven, and some adults as old as 27. Many of the animals still lived, but many also went extinct. The temperature was raise and so there are only a few polar bears left, AGAIN, and penguins are probably dying too. Of course spiders and other bugs survived, but there are less of them. When it happened, my best friend was at my house, we were nowhere near the crash site, we live in Maine, but we were lying in the grass outside and we saw a bright flash. We thought nothing of it, a trick of our eyes or something, but then my mom called. And she told us what had happened. The asteroid that wiped out the dinosaurs didn’t do this, but somehow ours did. A massive fault line cracked the continent and a giant earthquake split it. The asteroid caused a brand new tectonic plate to form. Lava spewed from the crack and now there is a new massive mountain range in the middle of Death Valley.

Because of the chemicals that came from deep inside the earth, the adults and children got sick. I remember being too afraid to leave my room with Marie. And when we finally did, everything was dead. Even my parents. The chemicals destroyed most of the plant life, and everything was brown and grey. We searched for other survivors there had to be more, right? We were running out of food and water when we found someone; she’s the youngest we knew of, at seven years old. Her name was Gwen and she was perfectly healthy, it was weird. I don’t know how long we walked, all I knew is we probably were in Vermont by now, or at least very far away from our hometown. Then we stumbled upon Matt. He was holding a hand-made bow and arrow and aiming at a rabbit. He was about to shoot when Gwen stopped him, it was funny, it was her pet rabbit. We introduced ourselves to Matt and he brought us to his colony, the problem was, in the time he had been gone out hunting, which was two days, someone’s fire wasn’t put out properly and the entire camp burned down, about ten kids survived and we started a new colony about a mile away from there. It was funny, in a horrible sort of way, how a tragedy started our fortune.

And here we are, three years later.




© 2012 Sophie


Author's Note

Sophie
reviews?

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

It is a very interesting beginning, it gives the history of what happened before the actual story takes place, though for me it sounds more like a journal entry. I don't know if it was supposed to or not, but it may just be me.

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

138 Views
1 Review
Added on December 30, 2011
Last Updated on February 2, 2012


Author

Sophie
Sophie

-, MA



About
I'm 16 in my sophomore year of high school, I started on this site when i was 14, took about a year break and now i might be back, im just fixing my description because i was annoying as f**k last yea.. more..

Writing
untitled untitled

A Poem by Sophie