The Seductress

The Seductress

A Poem by Lakshmi Ramesh

She's good. She's very very good. I watch her sitting from the corner of my eyes and even though she's at the very corner, she consumes my vision. Suddenly, she's all I see. Her evil smirk is enticing. It's asking me to play a game with her. It's asking me to come and join her and let her take over my body. All of this, just from her smile. Her evil mocking smile that makes me feel like I'm nothing in front of her. Then there's her long slender arms. Her arms are very inviting too. I can imagine it being just very right engulfing my tired brain and giving it a reason to think. I can imagine her entire self consuming me and taking me to a different level of being. She's that seductive. I've ignored her for very long though. I hoped that if I ignored her long enough she'd stop. She'd stop lurking in the corner of my vision wherever I go. I hoped that she wouldn't feed onto me. I hoped she'd leave me alone and not shift my focus to herself every time I had breathing space. But she didn't. And today, she's winning. Today she's not in the corner of my vision. She's behind me. I can feel her seductive breath on me. I can feel her dictate the choices I've made today. I can feel her win. Finally. Finally, the disguised monster is not sitting in a far corner but has become my reality. She looks too good to resist. Maybe that's why I succumbed to her. It's her fault. I'm not the weak one. It's just so much easier to fall onto her than to build a barricade around her charms. But who is she? Is she just mine? Am I the only one who's seen her? Am I her only victim? No. She's yours and of the person sitting next to you and of the person you bumped into at the train today and your best friend and your little sister. She's attacking everyone. She's Fear. She takes the form of everything that could entice you so you'd let fear drive you. She makes sure that you're like her - colourless and yet full of colour of all things that you cannot tolerate. She's the ultimate seductress.

© 2017 Lakshmi Ramesh


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

150 Views
Added on July 8, 2017
Last Updated on July 8, 2017