Whispers of the wandering library

Whispers of the wandering library

A Story by Adele
"

Finally! I wrote the start to a short story I'm working on. I have a rough Idea and might edit this later, but for now, tell me what you think! (I even worked on a book cover!) Thanks :)

"
Ok, something different. I've always wanted to write short stories, but I didn't have any idea where to start. The other day something sparked in my brain. I should write about a library that can disappear and reappear. (It makes sense with the plot, trust me). Anyways, I started on it and wanted to know what everyone thinks! Please give me honest feedback, as I've never done this before. 
"The library stood still, unlike ordinarily. The cricket cries could be heard throughout the autumn woods. The harsh breeze shook the willow tree in front of the entrance, while its branches rapped against the stained-glass window. Somewhere from the trees a single leaf crumbled under the foot of a young girl, the loud crunching startled the library. Graceful was not a word most commonly used to describe Renée Thomas. She shook the tree remains from her large brown boots and continued on her way". 
I know it's not a lot, but I think it's a start! 

© 2023 Adele


Author's Note

Adele
As always, please give any feedback you have!

Thanks!
-Adele

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Author Adele, I suppose you can try to build tension by expanding on the female character, Renée Thomas briefly, such as explaining her general attitude towards the library, and the location, the impression of a girl her "type" (defining traits) of the library. And it would be delicate and sufficient to write shortly.
For example, if you wish to describe the girl as generally calm, unfearful, but uncareful, and intrigued by the library, you may say "Despite the unusual ordeals of the (given context), a curious young girl approached the library, deeply intrigued by what it might hold within, without much hesitation nor precaution."; That would frame the lass in the story as a personality foremost before we expand further into the story, this way, the audience would know what to expect from a "curious but uncareful" girl like herself, drawing their attention to the story, having their minds work out the possibilities of what comes next.
Doing so would leave an attractive trail of "lore" breadcrumbs for the audience to follow, we'd not want the audience to be lost amongst the new elements being introduced later on that couldn't be fully grasped if the previous concepts are known at least made known clearly.
Besides that, I find your description of the surrounding scenery to be very eloquent for a draft already.
That is all from me, good luck with your writing, have a nice day.


Posted 5 Months Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

101 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on November 16, 2023
Last Updated on November 16, 2023
Tags: Library, Ghost, Woods

Author

Adele
Adele

About
Hello all! I'm a 19-year-old writer who dabbles in poetry and short stories! I chose this website specifically to post and hopefully one day accumulate enough poems for a book, so please, enjoy :) more..

Writing
Moon Struck Moon Struck

A Poem by Adele