CHAPTER TWO

CHAPTER TWO

A Chapter by Alyssa Poole

I hated school. I hated it more than anything in the world, because I had to pretend.

I had to pretend that I was still in love with Michael, even though he was a complete a*****e these days. But more importantly, I had to pretend Jackson didn't exist, even when he walked right past me in the halls and I couldn't wave or say hello because Michael was always at my side.

Monday morning came by too fast, and I instantly missed the weekend the second I arrived in Bradford High's parking lot. Dad lets me borrow his car so I don't have to ride the bus, which I'm thankful for, considering I'm claustrophobic and the idea of sitting in a crowded school bus makes my insides turn. Michael called a few different times the night before, leaving messages I was too tired to answer. I really wasn't in the mood to talk to him, but somehow he always ended up finding me before I had the chance to hide.

"Courtney," I felt a strong grip on my wrist, pulling me to the side of the hallway so that students could pass by.

I looked up at him, tall and masculine, with dark blue eyes and light brown curls. He plays football for Bradford; One of our most valuable players. I guess that's how he got those abs, or 'abdominals' as the football coach would call them, that every girl within a thirty mile radius obsesses over. Michael didn't look the least bit happy to see me. His eyes were cold and shallow, but they matched his personality right down to the core.

"I'm sorry I didn't call you back last night, if that's what you're going to ask about." I backed up against one of the pale green lockers, holding my chemistry book to my chest in defense. I knew Michael wouldn't dare lay a hand on me. He was a jerk, but he wasn't that much of a jerk. Lately, I was afraid of him, though, regardless of whether or not he would resort to physical violence.

I'm claustrophobic around him, too. He's so intimidating, being so tall and expressionless, that I feel trapped around him. Like he has me cornered with no way to escape. "No, it's not. I was going to say that I'm having a party at my house on the eighteenth, and I think you should be there. Maybe talk to some of the cheerleaders, get to know them. They really want to be friends with you, Courtney." I exhale, not even realizing that I was holding my breath to begin with.

He tilts his head a little, then looks me in the eyes. He isn't really looking at me, though; It was one of those strange, in a daze looks. He doesn't like my other friends. They're the bottom of the food chain to him. What he considers 'average'. Michael doesn't stand for average, ever. Especially since he was nowhere near it.

"I have my own friends, you know." I heard myself mumble.

"What I'm trying to say is, you should expand your friend base. It won't hurt to make new ones. But forget about it for now. You'll come, right?" He smiled, making me temporarily forget about how much of an a*****e he's been.

"I guess so."

"Good. I'll see you later, alright? Gotta talk to the boys."

"Fine. Bye."

He gave me a quick peck on the lips, which only made me miss Jackson more. With him, I didn't feel intimidated, and he didn't expect too much from me like Michael did. Sometimes I wondered why Michael stuck with me; He could get any girl he wanted, without a doubt. I wasn't even the typical A-lister that the popular guys went for.

I spent fifth period in the library. Study hall was my favorite class, because I could sit there and think without being interrupted by pointless chatter and lectures. My grades were the least of my worries lately, so if you think I'd actually do homework in study hall, you've got another thing coming. Most days, I would sit on the floor in between a row of bookshelves and read The Diary of Anne Frank, over and over again, no matter how many times I've read it and already knew what happened in the end. 

Margot reminded me of myself in a way. I definetely wasn't anything like Anne. She was so outspoken and brave and I was timid and lacked any sort of self-confidence I could possibly have. We were both completely different people, but I still admired her. And I'm not going to say it was because 'she was a good person'. That's the kind of stuff teachers want you to say in book reports.

I felt the pocket of my jeans vibrate. It tickled me through the denim fabric. I set Anne Frank aside and pulled my phone out. It wasn't the best, that's for sure. It was cheap and affordable. I couldn't afford anything expensive, like the iPhone. I've never been big on spending money.

New Text Message from Jackson.

I miss you.

I smiled, looking around for the librarian before I hurriedly sent a text back.

I miss you, too.

And suddenly everything seemed okay.
Because I had Jackson.
He had me.

And that was all that mattered.


© 2012 Alyssa Poole


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

145 Views
Added on July 27, 2012
Last Updated on July 27, 2012


Author

Alyssa Poole
Alyssa Poole

Pittsburgh, PA



Writing
CHAPTER ONE CHAPTER ONE

A Chapter by Alyssa Poole