Love and Hurt

Love and Hurt

A Poem by Madison E O'Hara
"

Thoughts on love and hurt.

"

Love and Hurt

Love can do a lot.

But hurt can do more.

Love is the source of all good things in life. It’s where happiness and fulfillment comes from. It’s why we live.

But hurt. That’s behind everything bad. Everything that destroys you, that kicks you down beaten and broken and lost.

We live life in these two extremes. Where we love nature, music, beauty and people. But we’re hurt so much because we love those things.

Love can ease hurt. Can take away the pain.

Hurt can take away love. Destroy the safety.

So is love worth the risk? Is it better to have loved and lost and hurt than to have never loved at all?

Sometimes I say yes. Because it’s beautiful.

Sometimes I say no. Because it destroys you.

Maybe you just have to live with both.

Maybe that’s being human.

Maybe we can handle it. 

© 2016 Madison E O'Hara


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I like that you're able to dig deep enough inside yourself to even consider the questions that you so elegantly pose here. Most people go through life skimming the surface of their own existence too afraid to feel. Yes, pain,rejection,loss all change you but love keeps us anchored to our true selves.very nicely done Madison.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Hardest part of life is love.
"Sometimes I say yes. Because it’s beautiful.
Sometimes I say no. Because it destroys you.
Maybe you just have to live with both.
Maybe that’s being human.
Maybe we can handle it. "
Love weaken us. When we love another or our children/grandchildren. We open ourselves to heartbreak and sadness. But without love. What are we? I was lucky I had a wise grandfather. He told me to travel, test life and love many. This is our true wealth. I enjoyed this poem. You open the door to along conversation. Thank you Madison for sharing the excellent poetry.
Coyote

Posted 7 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

137 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 22, 2016
Last Updated on September 22, 2016
Tags: thoughts, personal, human nature, people, life, hurt, love

Author

Madison E O'Hara
Madison E O'Hara

London, Ontario, Canada



About
3rd Year Student at Western University with an Honours Specialization in History with Minor in English for Teachers. Originally from Muskoka, ON Seriously inexperienced writer, but it's a small hobb.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Stress Stress

A Poem by Centipedle


Songbird Songbird

A Poem by Jenna Kay