Chapter 3: an unlikely act of kindness.

Chapter 3: an unlikely act of kindness.

A Chapter by marchmadness
"

THIS IS JUST SOME OF THE CHAPTER

"

Sitting at the train station, I had my feet propped up on my stacked suitcases, reading a book. It was such a long walk after all, and I felt like an idiot for not taking Erich’s advice; he could have saved me a long walk through the snow. A man sat next to me at the very end of bench, lighting up a cigarette. “Too much snow, wouldn’t you agree? I can’t wait for spring.”

Without looking up, I replied, “Yes, spring is the loveliest time.”

“How long did it end up taking you to walk here?” The voice boomed. Puzzled, I yanked my head toward the man so fast, it felt like whiplash. Erich, there he was, the man in black. I sighed and rolled my eyes, getting back to my book. “You know, I really wasn’t expecting you to keep walking.”

“Did you follow me?” I asked him, concern in my voice, still looking at my book.

“Ah, no,” he chuckled, entertained again, “I didn’t have to. There’s only one station open to the public around here.”

“Am I in trouble? Have I done wrong?” I slammed the book shut, glaring at him.

“No,” He bared his teeth, which were so big and white, the kind of smile you only see in the movies.

“If you would be so kind as to leave me alone…” I raised my voice at him, grabbing all my things and starting toward another bench. All he did was silently follow behind me to the next bench, where he sat next to me, leaving a lot of space between us. “You just won’t take ‘no’ for an answer, will you?” I asked softly.

“You’re serious?”

“Look, I am Polish, you are a Nazi soldier, we can’t…we will just be trouble for each other.” I blinked repeatedly, and then turned my gaze to my feet again, holding my hands in my lap.

“I am certainly not a soldier.” He arrogantly said, stretching his arms behind his head. “I’m simply trying to talk to you, not marry you.”

“Oh? What are you then?”

“An officer; I am the Panzer company commander.” He never took his eyes off me. Unaffected, I felt like he expected me to be drawn and ask more, but it made me more fearful. My entire objective was to keep my head down and avoid all Germans; I failed miserably. He was charming, he was arrogant, and I found it hard to be so mean to him. How was I to know if he was going to kill me? He could be enticing me into his web, and then trick me. “Where in Poland are you from?”

“Lublin.” I replied, without much thought.

“What is the real reason to go to Germany?”

“My sisters, if you must know.” My voice was soft and child-like. It was hard for me to tell him that. “Were you born in Germany?” Assuming he was full German.

“Yes, born and raised. I never left the country until I came here a few weeks ago.”

“Maybe you can show me a nice place for me stay.” I requested, once again in a soft, meek voice. He seemed thrilled to accommodate.

“It will be a long time before I get to go back home, so it might be best for you to show me around here.” He smiled big at me again, his eyes so blue, they were almost white.

“I don’t know Krakow as well as I know Lublin, but I can help you out.” I turned my body toward him, resting my elbow on the back of the bench. He cocked his head, furrowing his brow; and for the first time, I smiled. It was funny to see such a man look like a confused puppy. “Stop following me, too.” I bit my bottom lip again.

“Oh, I can’t do that Zofia. I have to follow you in order for you to show me around.” He let out a sigh of relief, like he was pleased with himself. “But,” he raised his finger, turning his body toward me, too, “in order for me to promise afterwards, you can’t take this train and you have to,” he paused, searching for words, “come with me tonight. Dinner.” He beamed, and I blushed. Shyly, I turned away from him, suppressing a grin.

“Erich, are you allowed…?” He laughed loudly.

“Am I allowed? You are a funny girl.”

“Sir, I have to respectfully decline if I’m…permitted to do so.”

“Miss,” he began, standing up and taking off his tall, shiny officer’s hat.

“Your train heading for Breslau will be arriving in approximately 15 minutes.” The intercom sounded, in German, interrupting Erich.

“Zofia?” A woman’s voice called from the corner of the train station, “Zofia, I’m so glad to see you!” It was Mrs. Nowak, interrupting Erich further.

“Hello! What are you doing here?” I asked gleefully, standing up to hug her.

“Going home for the week, they let some us out early for lunch.” She smiled so bright, grasping my shoulders and studying my eyes. I nodded my in the direction of Erich who stood close next to me. Her eyes darted nervously from me to Erich.

“It’s nothing bad. He followed me here and asked me dinner-“

“Dinner!” Mrs. Nowak interrupted a smiling creeping back to her mouth. I kept my fingers crossed that he didn’t speak Polish.

 “But I don’t need to do that. I don’t know him, German or not. And,” my voice lowered and I leaned toward her ear, “he’s a Nazi in uniform. He’s dangerous.” Listening carefully, she began to start a thought.

“Dear, he can’t be too bad. He is so handsome.” Her nervous look morphed to admiring eyes.

“Sometimes, the most beautiful can be the deadliest.”

“Please, be careful, darling. I agree with you, but maybe he can change your mind.” I guessed she was wise with age. My mind wondered off, she shook me gently and giggled, “Things always get better.” I smiled back, only glancing at her, and then back down at my hands; we were still facing each other on the bench.

“Thank you for your kind words.” I rubbed her hands and then turned back toward the train tracks. Thankfully, the station shielded up from the arctic winds, and the snow didn’t reach where we were. It was still so frigid.

“Well, that’s my train. Are you coming?” Mrs. Nowak rose, staring at me softly, slinging a knapsack of her shoulder. I looked at the approaching train behind her, licked my lips, narrowed my eyes and hesitantly replied.

“No, I think I’ll go eat.” I stood up with a start, hurling my things off the ground, and waved goodbye. “I hope I see you soon!” I yelled to her, as she smiled and waved from the train’s entrance.

“Bye, dear!” She shouted back, still beaming bright at me. What was I doing? Not taking that train, and leaving the station after such a long walk. I wanted to hit myself. All my belongings were much too heavy to carry all the way back to town. I began walking down the sidewalk anyways, hoping for a bus. Until then, I never worried about the weather or even noticed how cold it was. Now, trudging through the snow and wind, I wished for shelter.

After walking a few kilometers, I heard angry voices nearby.  I took a seat on a bench in front of a bakery; the voices sounded from the alley next to it, and I didn’t want to pass whoever it was and become a part of it.

“It’s f*****g cold; nothing relieves me of this f*****g cold weather! I need to go back to the Fatherland, get out of this damned country,” a familiar voice. Was he talking to himself?

“Generalleutnant Guderian, I’ve heard, is bringing all of Germany’s tanks here to-“

“Is he here now? Does he change the weather? No and no! After I carry out the orders bestowed upon me, I’m going back where it’s warmer.” The voice was still angry. I huddled on the bench, even after they began to talk inaudibly amongst themselves. Tanks in Poland? I shivered from fear and cold; I thought I was going to throw-up. I stood up, slowly creeping past the alley, covering my mouth with my forearm, as my hands carried my bags. “Miss Zofia?” I stopped short, not needing to turn around because it was then that I realized it was Erich making all the fuss. “Is everything okay? Did the train make it?” His voice was so gentle; it was hard to believe it was really him screaming at someone else.

“Yes, sir, everything is alright. I’m in a hurry.” He trotted his horse next to me, alarming me at first as I jumped to the side, not knowing he was on a horse.

“Please,” Erich began, slowing his horse close next to me, twirling a crop between his leather gloved fingers, “just call me Erich.” I never looked up at him, although, it took a lot from me not the pet his black horse. Evidently not liking my silence, he pulled his horse in front of me with enough room for him to dismount. I stopped, dropping my luggage, and closing my eyes. “Look at me,” the snow crunched beneath him, “imagine me without this uniform. Just like you, dressed like a normal civilian.” I looked up reluctantly. It was true, the uniform alone was intimidating, paired with his tremendously low voice and towering height, it was twice as daunting.  Our eyes met again, I found it harder to talk to him this time, shivering, and with chattering teeth. “Is that why you ignore me?” He asked in a whisper.



© 2015 marchmadness


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

111 Views
Added on November 10, 2015
Last Updated on November 10, 2015