The Functions And Capabilities Of Bow Fenders

The Functions And Capabilities Of Bow Fenders

A Story by marinechandlers
"

The bow bumper could be left in position when cruising which helps it to protect the boat from damage that could occur from the anchor swinging in the bow.

"

Bow bumpers have 2 primary functions, to protect the boat against the anchor as well as to shield it from any damage when mooring or berthing the boat. As the name suggests, it's the bow of the watercraft these particular bumpers are designed to protect. The total amount of the bow that the fender protects will depend on the size of the fender. As the bow is the most vulnerable part of the watercraft so it is important that it is properly protected.

The bow bumper could be left in position when cruising which helps it to protect the boat from damage that could occur from the anchor swinging in the bow. The commonest type of bow bumper is a V shape with a bulbous part in the centre for absorbing any damage, preventing the watercraft from damage. The bumpers include three holes that secure them to the motorboat, 2 on the top and one in the middle. The rope that is passed through the middle is usually of a much longer length and is attached to the mooring cleat. This enables the fender to get adjusted if necessary depending on the mooring situation. A selection of different colours is offered for the bumpers. White and blue are the most common choices, but they are also available in burgundy and black color. The colour that's selected is determined by the personal preference of the owner. In case more than one fender is required, which will probably be the case, exactly the same colour may be chosen or they can pick a number of shades to decorate the appearance of the watercraft. This kind of arrangement could work best on watercraft that offer rides to the public such as river ferry boats. The fenders are protected against UV damage so no matter which colour is picked, the boat owner can be certain the colours will not fade.

There are many yacht fenders offered for sale here.

A horseshoe style is also occasionally utilized for bow bumpers. This kind of design is inclined to have a nylon strap across the centre of the fender and the central opening is situated on this strap. This permits the fender to be elevated and lowered as required. Rather than merely being positioned on the front of the motorboat, these bumpers are typically attached throughout the bow.

Bow bumpers come in a range of different colours. To a certain degree, bow bumpers aren't as decorative as other kinds of fender so the choice of colour doesn't involve such careful consideration. Similar to other sorts of fender, blue and white are the most popular colours with black color also being offered.

Sailing schools find bow fenders particularly helpful because they shield the motorboat against any impact that may happen when students are first learning to steer the motorboat. Because of this, they are also widely used in recreation centres or another locations where the cruising of the boat is performed by people who are relatively inexperienced. Obviously, it is not only inexperienced sailors which may have any sort of accident; therefore wherever boats are sailed bow fenders ought to be used.

Vessels that usually berth at marinas also will benefit from bow bumpers. This is because the bow is usually the part of the boat which is moored in a marina. As the fenders are flexible, the individual directing the motorboat should be able to berth at any marina, whatever the height of the mooring articles.

Bow fenders, although not crucial, is definitely an essential part of your boating kit and should be a part of your armoury against any kind of unwanted hits and scratches. Having bow bumpers on the boat may allow you to avoid a costly repair bill further down the road.

© 2015 marinechandlers


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

391 Views
Added on February 19, 2015
Last Updated on February 19, 2015
Tags: Boat, Fenders, marine