Chapter 1 (for now)

Chapter 1 (for now)

A Chapter by RiSsA
"

I know this starts out like just another vamp story, but there's a lot more to this than vampires.

"

"Hello?...I'm in the library....Yeah? Well, what's going on then?"
    Alaina sighed. She could never understand why a person would answer their cell phone in a library. It was just so rude. She twisted her arms together and stretched them towards the white ceiling, arching back against her chair. Returning to her normal position, she straightened her reading glasses and looked around her. The girl whose oh so important phone call had yanked Alaina from her study trance had just shut her phone and was shoving it in her purse. Alaina glanced back at her laptop. The screen in front of her was clued in on a website about water demon sightings in Africa. She picked up her pencil and began scribbling in a tattered, almost used up spiral notebook.
    "Miss, we're closing in 10 minutes."
    "Okay, thanks."
    Alaina looked up and was not at all surprised to find that she was the only one on the second floor. She was almost always the last one to leave. The little clock at the corner of her screen said 11:52 PM. Damn, that's nearly 11 hours today. As she closed her laptop and reached for her bag, she saw the same library aid walking towards her. Alaina smiled at the old woman. Taking in the assumption that Alaina was adhering to closing time from the backpack she had just lifted onto the desk and in which she was stuffing her laptop, the old woman turned around and walked towards the stairs at the other end of the second floor. Alaina carefully placed her trusty reading glasses in the front pouch of her backpack and swung the one strap of her messenger style bag over her shoulder.
    As she descended the front steps of the building, she inhaled the cool night air. It was late March and the weather was starting to warm up. The patches of snow on either side of the path she habitually took to her residence hall were practically glowing in the moonlight. Alaina loved the campus at night. It was so peaceful and well, not bustling with students rushing to class. She wasn't really a people person and preferred to just be left alone. The calm was abruptly broken as something large and fast zoomed past her. She jumped and looked around, trying to figure out what just happened. What the hell was that?
    She thought about following whatever it was, but sense told her that was probably not a good idea. Instead, she continued walking down the path, only slower and much more alert than before. Was that some kind of animal? It looked like a person, though. Alaina was paranoid now. She jumped at every rustle the wind made. The familiar path took her downhill now and was turning. She knew she'd see her residence hall as soon as she passed a few of the only trees left on campus. Taking a deep breath, Alaina tried to relax. Alright, you're fine, Aliana. Whatever that was is gone now and you're almost home. Get a grip. The side of a large, four story brick building came into view. She let out a sigh of relief and quickened her pace, never more eager to get inside that building.

    She had only just slowed her pace back to normal when a sharp pain above her elbow told her something had grabbed her arm. Before she had a chance to turn around, she felt herself get lifted off the pavement and thrown forcefully on the lawn to the right of the path. Alaina braced herself as she saw the tree in front of her, but was barely allowed time to feel relief at landing just short of it before her attacker grabbed her long ponytail and pulled up to make her stand.

    Alaina nearly fell back down. Her legs weren't cooperating. Her heart was beating so fast, she thought it would burst, and her head was spinning. She looked up and felt the color drain from her face as she looked into the eyes of the scariest man (at least, she thought it was a man) she had ever seen. He was impossibly tall and skinny. His skin was whiter than what was left of the winter snow, and his eyes, which seemed like endless black holes, were almost hidden in the dark circles he had around them. He had long fiery red hair tied behind his head in a ponytail, but it was far from well kept. Strands of red flew about his face and whipped around the corners of his mouth which was twisted in a menacing sneer. What the--
    "Hello, you must be Alaina." His voice was deep and he articulated his words as if he had come from a much nobler era. Alaina's first impression was that of a British earle, but this man was far from being the gentleman his voice suggested.
    "Oh, come now. Don't be rude, I'm talking to you." He laughed a sarcastic, deep laugh. He grabbed Alaina's chin with his long, skinny fingers and roughly lifted her face up to his. His skin felt like ice. Alaina grimaced.
    "It's fine; I don't really have the time for idle conversation anyway, especially not with a dead woman." Dead woman? Fear flooded her and she remembered her voice.
    "Please, let me go," she pleaded, feeling somehow that it didn't matter what she said. He laughed again, that cold sarcastic laugh and tilted her head sideways. Out of the corner of her eyes she saw with horror, a set of sharp, yellow teeth making their way to her throat. She tried to pull away, but his other hand pressed itself against her back, pulling her towards him with his muscular arm. A pain like nothing she had ever felt pierced her neck as his teeth sunk deep into her skin. She gasped and tears began to pour out as his lips met her skin and she felt him suck against her wound. Her breath came quicker and the sensation in the pit of her stomach was not unlike that feeling she used to get when she'd swing herself too high at the playground as a child. She stopped trying to pull away and felt herself relax. Her legs turned to jelly and he moved his arm to the small of her back to hold her up. Alaina saw the night sky getting darker and darker. This is it. I'm going to die.
    Then suddenly, she felt herself fall to the ground. Alaina managed weakly to turn her head towards the fiery haired creature (she was certain now that he wasn't a man), only he wasn't where she had expected him. Instead, he was back on the path staring at something up ahead of him. The expression on his face was much more frightening than she even considered possible. He looked furious. Hatred burned in his eyes and his mouth was twisted in a snarl, revealing those sharp teeth, now stained red with her blood. Alaina was losing consciousness, but she tilted her head upwards the best she could. Standing further up the path was what looked like another man, but she knew better. His skin was just as white and his eyes just as dark, only there was a flicker of color there that she could barely make out from the distance. His hair was dark and much shorter. His face held a similar expression of fury and contempt. He glanced at her and the last thing Alaina saw before she blacked out was a mixed expression of worry and curiosity.



© 2009 RiSsA


Author's Note

RiSsA
Give me your worst. Just don't forget to tell me what you like about it too.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I truly like this. It's interesting and it kept me reading. Not many people can do that. I look forward to reading more. I like Alaina's character. These creatures seem interesting too. You might have added detail to their appearance though, but even there you don't need much of anything. It sounds like this will be great.

Now, question.
How did you create a book?
>.<
Can't seem to figure that one out on my own.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Excellent attention to detail, good simple start to what could be any possible take on the fantasy/myth/horror genres. I look forward to more!

Posted 15 Years Ago


Nice.

Posted 15 Years Ago


I truly like this. It's interesting and it kept me reading. Not many people can do that. I look forward to reading more. I like Alaina's character. These creatures seem interesting too. You might have added detail to their appearance though, but even there you don't need much of anything. It sounds like this will be great.

Now, question.
How did you create a book?
>.<
Can't seem to figure that one out on my own.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ah love these kind of stories, toatally enjoyed reading about the adventures of Alaina, well done.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Extremely good writing. Well written and well edited. You kept it direct and to the point...really nice. You made me want to know more.

I will look for more from you.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Jo
No need to give the worst. I enjoyed this. You gave powerful imagery and description. There are a few typos, though, just to to let you know. For example: "I don't really have the time for idle conversation anyway, especially not with dead woman." I don't know if you meant "a dead woman" or "dead women".

Anyway, the only thing I can suggest is to add more emotion from Alaina, especially fear and maybe a bit of a haunting feel when she sees the man fly past her the first time. But besides that, i found it utterly flawless. Great execution of action, too. Kudos.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

212 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on January 28, 2009
Last Updated on January 29, 2009


Author

RiSsA
RiSsA

"Took and wrong turn and ended up in", MI



About
So there's this girl. She's sane and yet completely out of her mind. She laughs a lot. She loves to laugh. She's nice and compassionate and open minded. She doesn't eat animals. She believes everyone .. more..

Writing
Unintitled Unintitled

A Book by RiSsA



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


My Angel My Angel

A Poem by blonde girl