A Foreboding Drum

A Foreboding Drum

A Poem by Mark
"

Here's another Sestina, a mildly tongue-in-cheek observation about HOW my quest to repay a childhood enemy made me less like myself, and MORE LIKE HIM!

"
A FOREBODING DRUM

I look afar, and see upon a Stump
Him who once I did name Nemesis,
And watch as he beats his ego-Drum,
Which with year's overuse has grown Sturdy,
And rigid and tough and hard and Waterproof
As it has and does his name Pronounce.

Woe!, that he and it so oft Pronounce
So proud an appellation, for such a Stump
Of a sculpture!, whose hide has grown Waterproof
With the blood and tears of those whose Nemesis
He is, or was. My resolve grows yearly more Sturdy
To one day perforate that fragile Drum!

Yet, it seems that I would Drum
Upon an ego all my own, if I Pronounce
Vendetta; my resolve to repay grown SO Sturdy
That I would wither my lively soul to a Stump
In pointless pursuit of a now-nameless Nemesis,
Whom, though I might drown, Time's made Waterproof!

It would seem fitting to make my OWN soul more Waterproof,
Though my tears would, I think, fill a Drum,
The enormity of which then becomes a NEW Nemesis,
Whose crushing weight serves but to Pronounce
A death sentence, grinding to a Stump
Those best parts of me, once thought so Sturdy.

But if I cause MY heart to be more Sturdy,
Hard, tough, rigid, and my eyes Waterproof,
Do I not thereby become MORE like that Stump;
In fact, his DUPLICATE? I hear a Foreboding Drum
(Nor is it far, but near!) which would Pronounce
Doom upon we dupes who would duplicate our Nemesis!

By one means only may I vanquish my Nemesis:
That is, by retaining a kindly spirit, a Sturdy
Determination to oppose the Foe who would have me to Pronounce
RACA!, when those whose tear-steeped, Waterproof
Hearts act at variance to mine own; whose Drum
Carven from a great Tree, might yet so easily be sawn to a Stump!


What-or-whomever I name Nemesis can only capsize the Waterproof
Vessel of my life through my Sturdy beating upon the resentment Drum.
Only when that's ceased may I Pronounce ultimate victory o'er that toe-stubbing Stump!

December 10, 1988 (envoy added January 14, 2003)

© 2009 Mark


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

You have a very interesting way of looking at things, pondering over past wrongs and insults, and meandering to conclusions that would be better for your soul. I think the 'Sestina' probably suits the type of topics you explore in these pieces, as they are deep, dark, and not easily fathomable, like the form.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Ah, I now see what you mean by a sestina! A very difficult form of poetry but your poem reads really well. I bet you had fun writing it, and you got your own back on that bully!

Posted 10 Years Ago


had you not said this was a sestina I would not have registered it = which means it read well. It was not contrived. It was all about the message and not the mechanics - its very much like pairs dancing. With a couple - in some dance, you won't see the male dancer because he is doing his job 'presenting the woman. This sestina presented the message in that manner.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Mark

11 Years Ago

This is amazing praise. I often have wondered whether the words were my partner, and I but the fulcr.. read more
This is a great poem, Mark...the fact that it is a Sestina, for me, makes it even more impressive..You kept with the theme throughout barely missing a beat and I absolutely loved the ending. You have a terrific knack of making lines and stanzas work by simply continuing thoughts to the next line.
"What-or whomever I name Nemesis can only capsize the Waterproof
vessel of my life through my Sturdy beating upon the resentment Drum"
I never think to do that...also, Capitalizing the words at the end of the line...I'm not quite sure if that is for emphasis or observation...if you defined the poem "A foreboding Drum" (A sestina) as a Sestina would you still do it. Certainly these are not criticisms but rather curiosity.
Finally, do you choose the 6 words 1st or write the opening stanza first.
You really pulled it off Chris..a wonderful, heartfelt write.
Allen

Posted 13 Years Ago


You have a very interesting way of looking at things, pondering over past wrongs and insults, and meandering to conclusions that would be better for your soul. I think the 'Sestina' probably suits the type of topics you explore in these pieces, as they are deep, dark, and not easily fathomable, like the form.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Yeowee--this one has survived the years, hasn't it? And not just the poem, but the ever-raw memories that inspired it. It's hard to forget those bullies. I remember them all, and we had a lot of them in my little town. I'm not sure us non-bullies could ever be like them. It hurts me to see others suffer, and it probavly does you too. Another fantastic write, Mark.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Dear Mark,

A well woven, difficult poem with a superlative message. I personally would never attempt such a poem because of the difficult form and my preference for writing lyrical poetry, which would be nigh impossible with such structural restrictions. But I must admit that this is a very admirable effort and I'm impressed.

Highest regards,

Rick

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Bravo! Well-executed with a pleasing moral msg. '...beats his ego-drum...' had me in, and I am sure wld win hook other eyes too. You are so right that we demean ourselves with vendetta and there is great power in ignore-ance of said ego. But I heard only ydy that people who vent anger are at ease with themselves. But it is unedifying. I think unless we strike back immediatly in heat we should not strike back at all. But god, the beat of that ego-drum does rankle!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

424 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 1, 2009
Last Updated on March 1, 2009
Previous Versions

Author

Mark
Mark

Las Vegas, NV



About
Writing, for me, has always been the friend who brought out the best in me, and who would never argue with me, except when necessary to point out my many obvious inconsistancies. Writing and.. more..

Writing
K-20 K-20

A Poem by Mark


This Son Of God This Son Of God

A Poem by Mark



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Biting Back Biting Back

A Poem by Bubo


Heart Heart

A Poem by Tate Morgan