To Gizmo #1

To Gizmo #1

A Poem by Mark
"

There is no truer love than that of a dog for his man, nor any greater loss than a man of his dog...

"

 

 

 

TO GIZMO (#1)

Close now your eyes, my furry friend.

The time when broken bodies mend,

But souls them to depart is nigh...

And such pain, oh, God!, such pain have I!

 

Lay now your head upon my breast:

Of all friends I have had, the best

And longest held was you, ole son,

And truest, and by far, most fun!

 

When my hour one day comes around,

And once more to my arms you bound,

Then p'raps my heart may fin'ly mend;

'Til then, rest well, my faithful friend!

 

 

September 25, 2007

© 2010 Mark


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
LSS
Over the years I've been the self appointed guardian of the souls of my dogs. Each one was treasured of its own self, no two alike. But the only moments I remember of each of them are the last ones. None of them died of natural causes, I felt it only right that my love for them extend to my bringing their painful last moments to an end. I wrote a story about my first encounter, "Growing up in the bushes", Each one of those last memories of them will remain with me for all my days. Its truly hard to lose one you love.
Lar


Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Beautiful

Posted 13 Years Ago


This is an emotive piece Mark:) I know, too well what it is like to lose that companion! xx

Posted 13 Years Ago


Beautiful poem.
I know what you felt, because I experience it now.
Time passes, but we will always have them in memory.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Lee
Mark, I once had a cat named Gizmo and you've recalled precious memories. I clearly felt the love between the two of you. Very well done, friend. I'll go to #2 now. Keep smilin'...Lee

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Oh, this is sweet. Very touching, and it could NOT come at a better time, you have no idea.
I LOVE the rhyming in this, I felt as though I were reading a sonnet! Thanks for sharing Mark. :)

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I showed this poem to my aunt a couple days ago and she has yet to recover. Her 13 year-old dog Gizmo died two months ago. Your poem is a beautiful tribute. Z

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is such a sweet sentimental tribute to your pet! We do forget them and they are soooo important to us! Your flow and feeling is great here.. very commendable work!!! =)

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Dear Mark!
As a grand lover of dogs, this causes my heart to bleed! I truly believe that man's best friend is his dog, or in my case......dogs!
This is a beautiful tribute to your beloved pet!


Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is a lovely tribute to Gizmo. It flows so smoothly and grips my heart from the first line. Pets can be such wonderful, faithful, companions and it breaks our heart when leave this life. I love the last verse! It gives hope that we will see our beloved companions again.

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

my Grand pa had a dog named Blackie and when he died, blackie refused to eat and eventually died...we all felt his sorrow and my uncle cried like a baby while burying him...
i still remember the day...i was 12years old then , but the image is so clear in my mind. It was so sad and then, a puppy came to my uncle's place and he also died due to some unexplained disease and my uncle was so heart broken, he decided never to adopt a pet again....
it's indeed sad to see them suffer and die...very sad

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

681 Views
13 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on March 11, 2009
Last Updated on September 27, 2010

Author

Mark
Mark

Las Vegas, NV



About
Writing, for me, has always been the friend who brought out the best in me, and who would never argue with me, except when necessary to point out my many obvious inconsistancies. Writing and.. more..

Writing
K-20 K-20

A Poem by Mark


This Son Of God This Son Of God

A Poem by Mark



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..