Robin Hood and the Conservative Peasant

Robin Hood and the Conservative Peasant

A Story by Mark George
"

Robin Hood, known for stealing from the rich & giving to the poor, meets resistance. Some peasants weren't fond of his wealth redistribution schemes.

"

Robin Hood and The Conservative Peasant

 

 

Peasant: So you take from the rich and give to the poor?

 

Robin Hood: That’s right.

 

Peasant: And you live in the woods?

 

Robin Hood: Yes, with Friar Tuck and the boys.

 

Peasant: All guys, huh?

 

Robin Hood: Maid Marian is my girlfriend…in case you were wondering. Our little group helps the poor. You look familiar…didn’t I recently give you and your family some gold or clothing?

 

Peasant: Yes, and I’m thankful, but…

 

Robin Hood: But what?

 

Peasant: Aren’t you really creating dependency? I mean…all we do now is sit around and wait for you to bring us the booty. No one is working.

 

Robin Hood: …

 

Peasant:  I don’t want to sound ungrateful, but the items you stole and gave my family belonged to my employer. I got laid off after that. 

 

Robin Hood: Can’t you live off the treasures I bring to you?  I steal from rich dukes and earls to help give you and the other peasants a good life?

 

Peasant: It’s okay for awhile, I guess, but what if we want to work and earn more? Many of us would rather work than sit around and wait for your deliveries. No offense, Mr. Hood.

 

Robin Hood: None taken. I must admit it gives me such pleasure to see the expressions on your faces when I enter with royal plunder.

 

Peasant: Makes you feel good about yourself, huh?

 

Robin Hood: (confused expression)Yes…

 

Peasant: Uh-huh.

 

Robin Hood: I also like seeing the shocked faces of the dukes, earls, kings and potentates when I catch them unawares.

 

Peasant: Were you aware that an earl’s salary can’t even buy a decent home these days? Most of our local businesses were run by earls. 

 

Robin Hood: I thought the earls lived in castles with chests full of gold and jewelry and did not work.

 

Peasant: That’s a myth.  Have you heard about the rash of suicides in the past year?  Earls.

 

Robin Hood: You’re not blaming me, are you?

 

Peasant: Well…

 

Robin Hood: Perhaps I should confine my raids to the super-rich, the dukes and kings.

 

Peasant: That’s your call, but remember, the kings and dukes play a role, too. They invest in the businesses run by the earls, so by targeting them, you’re indirectly impacting the earls and in turn the peasants whom you’re trying to help.

 

Friar Tuck: (runs up, out-of-breath) Robin, the men are ready to converge on the Duke of  Somerset.  Should I give them the go-ahead?

 

Robin Hood: (hesitates) Do we know if the Duke is connected to any businesses that employ peasants in the local area?

 

Friar Tuck (puzzled look) I’m not sure. We know he’s got a chest of gold in an out-building behind his castle. 

 

Robin Hood: Is it guarded?

 

Friar Tuck: Not well, a couple of sentries.

 

Robin Hood: Okay, it’s a go.

 

Peasant: Good luck.

 

Robin Hood: Thank you kind sir, and I’ll take your advice into consideration. Here’s a gold nugget. (tosses the nugget to the peasant)

 

Peasant: (catching the gold nugget, shakes his head) Yeah, thanks for nothing.

 

 

© 2020 Mark George


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

43 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on August 13, 2020
Last Updated on August 13, 2020
Tags: humor, funny

Author

Mark George
Mark George

Tulsa, OK



About
Mark George and his family live in Oklahoma, where the wind goes sweeping down the plain, sometimes causing tornadoes. These monsters are terrifying, but if you have a safe space you're going to survi.. more..

Writing