1

1

A Chapter by Marriah

"Ayla Ann, Get you're a*s down here!" I hear faintly through my headphones. I always listen to music when I'm doing homework. I quickly put my things down and hop off my bed. I walk through our beach house in California. It's usually used as a summer home, but last year my parents decided to make it ou all-year-round home. I walk into the kitchen and sit at the island counter, grabbing an orange and starting to peal it.

 

"Finally. I called you four times." My dad says in his irritated voice.

 

"Sorry. You know I can only do my homework if I'm listening to music. I had my headphones in." I say with a shrug of my shoulders.

 

"Whatever, it's fine. We need to talk to you two." Dad says looking between me and my little brother Ollie (Oliver, but nobody calls him that). We both look back, wondering what this is about.

 

"Your mother and I have been offered a wonderful opportunity. We've each been invited to a conference in Ireland, We'll be gone for about a couple weeks, maybe a month. I know that it's a long time to be gone, but that's why we've decided that you each need to be here for school." He said.

 

I interupted with my own thoughts. "So you're letting us stay here, alone for a month?" I asked, doing my happy dance on the inside.

 

"If you'll let me finish." My dad said, pointedly. "You can't stay here by yourselves for a month, that's why Ollie, you'll be staying with the Richards." Ollie's best friend is Dylan Richard. They've been like brothers since kindergarten, so now that their both in eighth grade, it's been a pretty solid friendship so far. "We want you to be able to continue your soccor and we can't afford for your grades to slip." He said, then turning to me.

 

"You my dear, will be spending the time with your brother. We've already talked to him about it and he checked with his roomates. You'll be using one of the guestrooms there and I'll be paying the rent. But what's important is that you'll be with other people who understand how important an education is." My brother's name is William. He's 21 this december and goes to college in Arizona. Him and his roomates live in a huge house about twenty minutes from campus.

 

Iguess this is the part where I tell you all about me and my family. My name is Ayla Dickinson. Me and my brother's all got names from famous literary characters, or in William's case, authors. My name comes from my mothers favorite books, the "Earth's Children" series, by Jean M. Auel. Oliver gets his name from my dad's favorite literary work Oliver Twist (He has a soft spot for orphans since he was one also.) William is named after Shakespeare, an english professors wet dream. Both my parents are professors of english at UCLA. We're a pretty well to do family, fairly rich actually. I've never had to worry about my parents not being able to afford something for me, and for that I'm thankful.

 

"When do you leave?" Me and Ollie ask at almost the same time. We look at eachother and smile because it was a little creepy.

 

"This Thursday." Mom says. I think about what day it is, it's Tuesday. "Ollie, Mrs. Richards will pick your things up on friday when you're at school and you'll go straight to their house from there. Ayla, we want you out of the house by Friday evening. We don't mean to push you out, but Mr. Gregory will be coming over early Saturday morning when he's walking Foofy to check the locks." Mr. Gregory is our neighbor who walks his dog Foofy every morning at 5:00. Insane, I know.

 

"Okay, can do. I'll go pack now." Ollie and I both stood up from the counter and made our way upstairs. I walked into my bedroom and thought about how long it would be until I saw it again after Friday. You see, I love my bedroom. It's dark blue, almost Navy. I have pictures of New York all over, since that's where I lived until 9/11, when my parents got worried about our safety and moved us accross the country. New York will always be home though. Ihave light wooden floors and all of my furniture matches. My bathroom is my favorite though. I have a shower that has five different level of water pressure. I'll miss that in Arizona when I'm feeling stressed.

 

I start packing until I get too tired so I climb in bed.

 

Before I even know it, it's Friday, I've delivered my parents to the Airport and I'm driving to Arizona in my Jeep Wrangler without it's doors on and the top's off. I love this thing. It's brownish, and my dream vehicle.

 

I'm in the car for hours and hours when I finally see the sign of the Arizona State flag, letting me know I'm officailly no longer in California.

 

This should be interesting....



© 2010 Marriah


Author's Note

Marriah
Please let me know what you think!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

It's really good! :) As far as I can tell there are no grammar or spelling errors. The story seems in line and in order. You don't veer off track too much. It's very good. :)

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

111 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on May 4, 2010
Last Updated on May 4, 2010


Author

Marriah
Marriah

MN



About
I'm 17 and just getting started with my "writing carreer". I love all types of art and literature and have tried most of them. So far, my favorite activites are writing and photography, but I also e.. more..

Writing