I Miss You

I Miss You

A Chapter by Mary Greenwell

Chapter One

“Aponi!” My best friend, Nicolette, said.

“What?” I asked smiling as her still thick Italian accent messed up my Native American name.

“You’re late.”

“They shouldn’t expect me at school before I have time to purify myself with smoke.” I shrugged.

“You fought with parentals.” She nodded automatically knowing.

“I told them I wanted to go to the reservation this weekend.” I sighed, “It was a wasted fight anyway.”

“Why do you say that is Helushka not going to make it?”

“What’d you hear?” I asked excitedly Helushka was my boyfriend. Nadie, My Shimasani and Medicine Woman of the tribe, had had a vision of us marrying when I’d been born four years after him.

“I just…”

“Dang-it…” I groaned knowing she’d just guessed when I’d decided that there was no reason to fight that I didn’t want to go to the reservation suddenly, “No… Parental two’s kids are coming down so I can go to the reservation.” I sighed and then I was silent the rest of the day. I knew I was being ridiculous. I shouldn’t be so emotional over it but I hadn’t seen Helushka in so long. He went to a vampire school now. He was one of the only vampire Native Americans for some reason we just didn’t change much but when we did we had the safest we liked to think it was because God was watching after us but nobody allowed it.

“Maybe Nadie will take you to see Helushka since you haven’t been in a while.” Nicolette tried at the end of the day.

“I’m sorry Nicky I’ve been horrible. It’s just I miss him.” I sighed.

“Missing Helushka?” Shimasani asked.

“Yes.” I nodded hugging her.

“Well maybe coming to the reservation will be good for you.” She whispered but her voice told me she had bad news.

“What’s wrong Shimasani?” I asked worriedly in the truck only bad visions brought her down. We were already turning into the reservation and she hadn’t spoken.

“Aponi, honey, I no longer see him.” She whispered and I felt tears fall before I threw myself out of the truck. When Shimasani lost sight of somebody that meant they were dead. I collapsed during the run from the grief everybody in the tribe would know that I wouldn’t be far only because the grief would get to me otherwise I could run forever that was how I got my name Aponi, I could fly like a butterfly.

“I’m not dead.” A voice sad a few hours later.

“Helushka?” I whispered and then I threw myself into his arms.

“I love you, Nayeli.” He whispered the name itself meaning ‘I love you’ in another tribes language.

“I love you too, Helushka.” I promised standing on my tiptoes so I could reach his lips.

“Will you walk back with me? Nadie’s upset about her visions.”

“It could be that you’re a vampire.”

“I’m not a vampire yet.” He reminded me.

“So maybe you’ll come back when you finish.” I whispered and we could both hear the double meaning in the sentence. He moved closer than was decent making it obvious how sorry he was for hurting me.

“I’m here now.” He finally managed.

“For how long?”

“A couple days.”

“I thought you’d get sick without an adult vampire with you.” I accused but we got to the camp and I saw an adult vampire sitting beside his dad the chief.

“Son,” Chief said.

“Father,” Helushka nodded moving us to where we were in front of him.

“It’s nice to see you both back home.” Chief finished but Helushka looked at me.

“Umm… well… yeah…” I stumbled over my words and everybody was suddenly watching because it was hardly ever that anything happened between us, “I was going to tell you…”

“When?” he asked tensely, “And where to?” The whole tribe already saw us as married and to the tribe we had become a married couple as soon as Chief had called us over here together at least we would’ve been if I lived here. He could blow this as big as he wanted that meant though because to everybody there I lived on the reservation and I was now married to Helushka.

“Mom came back.” I whispered struggling to even get it out now. I felt his arms wrap around me as he realized just why I was feeling so abandoned by him.

“When were you going to tell me?”

“I’m not sure.” I answered honestly, “I was just so happy to see you again and then I didn’t want to think about it whenever we talked and…”

“Shh…” he whispered putting his finger over my lips and then he kissed me softly, “If only one of us lived here.” He whispered.

“To everybody here we both still live here.” I smiled kissing him again.

“I’ll be married to you someday.” He promised.



© 2013 Mary Greenwell


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

104 Views
Added on March 10, 2013
Last Updated on March 10, 2013


Author

Mary Greenwell
Mary Greenwell

Bloomfield, KY



About
I love to write and read. I am in college right now and so I don't get to write as often as I like but I still enjoy it. more..

Writing
Flashbacks Flashbacks

A Chapter by Mary Greenwell