I Tell Myself

I Tell Myself

A Poem by Mary Jo. Clare
"

This poem is about the denial we often put ourselves to avoid the truth. This poem is about how we also often justify the terrible offenses that people commit against us. Please comment below!

"
Time and time again, 
I tell myself that it doesn't matter
That hurtful words are simply words. Words that are formed out of spite and anger. Nothing more, nothing less.
I tell myself that I deserve it
That my authenticity is too brash and too bold. Rather, it should be masked over with a triter and plainer version. A version that attracts people, rather than one that pushes them away. 
I tell myself that I'm a fool
For believing in the everlasting kindness in their welcoming ways.
I tell myself that I'm better off an outsider
That isolation from this cruel world suits me. That being an outcast, rather than an active participant of society is my calling, my vocation rather. 
This denial, this refusal of the truth, deprives me from my true happiness. 
This is it. This is me. 
Completely and utterly alone. 

© 2018 Mary Jo. Clare


Author's Note

Mary Jo. Clare
Please leave reviews below! Much appreciated if you do!

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

99 Views
Added on October 13, 2018
Last Updated on November 3, 2018
Tags: self, selfdenial, truth, true, justify, denial, avoid

Author

Mary Jo. Clare
Mary Jo. Clare

Washington D.C, DC



About
I am someone who has turned to writing in the past years in order to express my real-life experiences and feelings. Please allow yourself to relate to my works! Leave comments, suggestions and .. more..

Writing