Chapter 2

Chapter 2

A Chapter by Maria M
"

basically Richard goes home to find an empty penthouse and receives an angry call from his assistant.

"

Chapter 2


            As Roger sifted through New York traffic with an ease that surprises me to this day, my mind is filled with a mixture of emotions and thoughts. My initial feeling at this moment is probably how stupid I was not to notice Elisa’s signs. Couldn't I see that she was crying out for my attention? But I couldn't have noticed for sure. I was so busy with my meetings, but on the other hand she was so busy attending dinners, and fashion shoots, and editing for the magazine. There wasn't one moment that she sat me down in the last couple of months were she voiced her opinions. Fair enough, she had voiced some opinion on the matter about a year ago, in fact she had spent the night at her sister’s house, but not now. I kept reassuring myself that this nightmare would soon be over. I tried calling her, but her phone just went to voice mail. I just wanted a chance to explain myself to her.


            It had just started to rain even harder when Roger pulled over to Taylor Building, the building in which my penthouse was situated. I thanked Roger, and quickly got out of the SUV and rushed inside the building, making my way to the elevator as quickly as I could. The elevator was filled with people, and it felt like ages until the elevator reached the 48th floor of the building.


            When I finally found myself staring that the door of my penthouse, a feeling of fear swept over me. What I could find inside was not something I was prepared for. I hoped that I would find Elisa packing; I wanted to be given a chance to stop her in the first place, show her that all this was a mistake and that we were meant to be together. I believed that we were meant to be together. So, I plucked up the courage and turned the lock.


            My penthouse is everything I ever wanted it to be. As soon as you open the door you find a huge living space area, with a beautiful white couch, flat screen television, paintings that I had bought on a trip to Paris hung on the walls. A beautiful chandelier hung from the ceiling. The windows that overlooked Times Square were accessorized with sheer white curtains that Elisa had bought, and a beautiful white baby grand piano stood in the corner. This beautiful space adjoined with the kitchen as well as the master bedroom, which had an in suite bathroom and a walk in wardrobe, as well as the spare bedroom.

            After I closed the door behind, there was a sad realization that Elisa wasn't there. I picked up my IPhone and dialed her number again, but her phone was still on voice mail. I called her name, but no answer as well. I looked around in the kitchen, but she wasn't there and then our master bedroom, but still, nothing.


            I quietly pulled of my coat, and entered the walk in closet to put it on the hanger. But at that very moment, what came to my eyes was something so heart breaking that I had to close my eyes and open them again to make sure that what I was seeing was fruit of my imagination. The side of Elisa’s closet, where she kept all her beautiful designer dresses, suits, handbags, shows, jewellery, had simply vanished. All her belonging had gone, and so had she. Instead of it lay an empty space that represented disappointment. I wanted to scream with frustration and anger at that moment.


            I quickly went to the kitchen to make myself a Jack and coke, and tried to breathe first hand. This can’t be happening: that was the only thing that kept passing through my head. She was not kidding when she said that it was over. I kept on trying to call her, but I guess it was all a waste of time. I had fallen in such a state of despair which was unimaginable that all I could do was sit on the couch in my empty penthouse and cry. I wasn't only crying because I had lost probably one of the most important people in my life, I was crying because it felt like such a waste of time. I had gone through this countless times before, but I couldn't accept the fact that people in life come and go, sometimes with no reason or no hope of arranging the situation. Just plain giving up.


            It felt like hours crying my eyes out. I was in disbelief and in awe. The shock was starting to fade, but other emotions and feeling was replacing that shock that I had overcome in the wardrobe. Feelings like anger and disappointment. Above all I was disappointed at Elisa rather than angry; I never knew she had the capability of leaving my life like this. Never.


            When I thought that it would never be over, I heard my IPhone ring. I rushed off the couch in the kitchen, with the hope that Elisa would be calling. But it was yet another disappointment for the day. The caller I.D. showed Marissa, my assistant and P.A. I decided to ignore that call; I had no intention of listening to anyone’s rants at the moment.


            I made myself another Jack and Coke, waiting for the phone to stop ringing. But it didn't. Marissa kept calling and calling, she never does give up that woman. I was on the verge of switching off my phone, but I was worried that something had come up. So I picked up the call,


            “What the hell Richard I've been calling you for half an hour,” Marissa started.


            “It’s just been five minutes,” I say angrily.

                              

            “ OK, whatever. Listen I just got a call from Margie’s assistant. Why was the meeting cancelled exactly? I mean, come on Richard, this is not a time to be cancelling meetings,” she said.

            “Well, something came up,” I said.


            “What possibly could have been more important that a meeting with Margie Mason Richard? Oh I know, nothing,” she said, angrily.


            “Well yes there was actually. My wife- actually, Elisa wanted to speak to me about something extremely important, which I guess couldn't wait,” I said.


            “Fine, whatever. OK so the meeting will be held next Thursday OK? I will be present for this one; I don’t want you bailing out or anything again. Another slip and Margie will go to another company willingly. At least that’s what her stuck up assistant told me,” Marissa continued.

            “ OK, I’ll be there,” I said.


            “Brilliant, well that’s settled than. Oh, Richard, are you okay by the way? You sound a bit, I don’t know, under the weather? “She asked.


            “As a matter of fact I’m fine, but thanks for asking,” and with that I ended the phone call.


            Sometimes I wonder why I hired Marissa in the first place. At moments I think that I should fire her at that very moment. I hate the way she speaks to me, it’s like I’m not even her boss. And I do find her authority quite intimidating. But she’s a brilliant assistant; she’s pushed the envelope and booked deals that no assistant in New York can book, so I have to admit that Johnson’s Inc. needs her.


            At that moment an idea comes to mind. I rush back into the master bedroom to fetch my coat. I switch of all the lights in the apartment, grab my keys and IPhone, and rush out of my apartment, to the elevator and out of the building. The rain has stopped hitting the New York pavements but the cold air has made me close my coat and snuggle my hands into its pockets. There’s not time to call Roger to take me where I need to go. I’ll just have to do it on my own this time.

 



© 2013 Maria M


Author's Note

Maria M
any comments are much appreciated. Thank you :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Morning Malta.

Being a story writer myself I know how difficult it is to get people to read a story length piece of work here on WC. So don't be disappointed by lack of reviews.

I'm glad you changed the paragraph format from the first chapter. The large caps on the first letter of each paragraph and the separation lines between para's was a bit distracting for me.

I'm from an older generation where the men don't cry much, if at all, at least the men I know, so when Richard cried all day it was a little unfamiliar for me. I have noticed that the younger men cry at the drop of a hat these days. So it's probably just me. To be honest, when I've had my heart broken I wanted to cry but I just couldn't squeeze anything out.

You've done a good job of drawing me into their world. I can see Elisa and how beautiful she is. I can see Richard searching his uptown, upscale apartment for her with anticipation as he enters each room and then feel his heart break each time when he finds her not there. I can understand her disappointment with him not making her the most important thing in his life. You did that for me. I don't like feeling this way. I want Richard to see how wonderful she is and make their life together a happy one.

I'm not sure where their story is headed but you make me want to turn the page. That's the sign of a good story.



Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Clayton Bardwell

11 Years Ago

Without a doubt, my favorite part of any story is the twist. I don't get RR's so please message me .. read more
Maria M

11 Years Ago

I will keep you posted for sure ! Thanks again :)
Maria M

11 Years Ago

New chapter is up :)



Reviews

Maria,

I've already said this isn't my genre - but I can still read it and be honest in my critique. You really, really need an english-native-speaking editor to read and blueline your work and thereafter sit down with you and discuss perceived flaws. A word processing program's spell checker and grammar guide just doesn't do what you need done.

I read this chapter with your intent in mind. What that required of me was - after the first few paragraphs, I stopped and re-began. I read all the way through - to the end - and then I re-read it.

You have a fine grasp of English as a spoken language. I am sure you read excellently and with full comprehension as well. But, as the person writing IN the language, you display a commonly viewed weakness of non-native writers. It's little things - quite true, but not nit-picking things. Wrong words, stumbling thoughts or flows during descriptions; a sense of timing being just a little off. You have the interplay between characters and even the right dialogue but with the little bites that are sprinkled throughout - the aftertaste 'feels' wrong. I followed the storyline easily. Your characters are developing and introductions are progressing.

It IS an interesting story in the making.

Take care.
Chris

Posted 11 Years Ago


Maria M

11 Years Ago

Hi Chris,
first and foremost thank you for your comment, it will help me in the future i'm su.. read more
Chris

11 Years Ago

I really wasn't teasing Maria. This is from the first para...

"There wasn't one mome.. read more
Another well written chapter! You're doing a great job Maria in not only providing great details but creating an interesting story with wonderful flow. I look forward to the next one! :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


Maria M

11 Years Ago

Thank you so much for your review, it means a lot!! :D and yes I promise to keep you posted until I .. read more
Maria M

11 Years Ago

New Chapter is up :)
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
AK
This is a great chapter, Maria :) I think it is very well written and intriguing. The flow of the story is great. Can't wait to read more, keep writing!

Posted 11 Years Ago


AK

11 Years Ago

My pleasure :)
Maria M

11 Years Ago

New Chapter is up :)
AK

11 Years Ago

Oh great! Will read it now!
Morning Malta.

Being a story writer myself I know how difficult it is to get people to read a story length piece of work here on WC. So don't be disappointed by lack of reviews.

I'm glad you changed the paragraph format from the first chapter. The large caps on the first letter of each paragraph and the separation lines between para's was a bit distracting for me.

I'm from an older generation where the men don't cry much, if at all, at least the men I know, so when Richard cried all day it was a little unfamiliar for me. I have noticed that the younger men cry at the drop of a hat these days. So it's probably just me. To be honest, when I've had my heart broken I wanted to cry but I just couldn't squeeze anything out.

You've done a good job of drawing me into their world. I can see Elisa and how beautiful she is. I can see Richard searching his uptown, upscale apartment for her with anticipation as he enters each room and then feel his heart break each time when he finds her not there. I can understand her disappointment with him not making her the most important thing in his life. You did that for me. I don't like feeling this way. I want Richard to see how wonderful she is and make their life together a happy one.

I'm not sure where their story is headed but you make me want to turn the page. That's the sign of a good story.



Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Clayton Bardwell

11 Years Ago

Without a doubt, my favorite part of any story is the twist. I don't get RR's so please message me .. read more
Maria M

11 Years Ago

I will keep you posted for sure ! Thanks again :)
Maria M

11 Years Ago

New chapter is up :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

248 Views
4 Reviews
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on January 15, 2013
Last Updated on January 15, 2013
Tags: love, hate, heartbreak, disappointment, anger, frustration, divorce, hurt, cry, crying


Author

Maria M
Maria M

Zabbar, Catholic, Malta



About
Hi, My name is Maria. I'm an 18 year old University Student studying Radiography and Radiotherapy for the next four years of my life. I also live in the beautiful island of Malta. I've always loved.. more..

Writing
Brick Walls Brick Walls

A Poem by Maria M


The Broken The Broken

A Poem by Maria M


Unsaid Unsaid

A Poem by Maria M